Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2008....Holland v Italy...Predictions

Dandyman

In London village.
Great stuff. Hup Holland hup !

1066gull

3-0 agaisnt the world champions get in there!!!!

Cant see many teams troubling Holland, only spain are on their side leaving a portugal/germany v holland/spain final anyone?

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
i have holland £40 at 12-1 now looked at the website and they are 5-1.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Impressive football from both sides and Italy played without resorting to cheating which was refreshing. I wouldn't be suprised to see both teams qualify from this group as they both looked head and shoulders above Romania and France. Gonna be a really interesting few games in this group now..

Seen a few comments that Italy were shite, would they still have been considered shite if they'd taken some of the very good chances they had or Van der Saar hadn't pulled of good saves?

Shite to me, is the way England play in tournaments and Italy were a lot better than that :lol:

Last edited:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
My mum being Italian of course my heart was with Italy. Usually I would be depressed for 2 days after any Italy lose but I have to say well done to Holland.

I think the first goal was offside, but the others where well deserved. Italy went out with the wrong mentatility in the first half. But at least we saw some positive play from them in the second half and playing with some heart.

If they dont beat Romania there going home early.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Italians didn't play brilliantly but they certainly weren't shit. It took a very dubious goal to start, and the next two goals came seconds after they almost scored and were fantastic counter-attacking goals

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The first goal was a disgraceful decision. How could the linesman have missed that? Just unbelievable. Having said that, in more than 30 years of watching European Championships and World Cups, I don't recall the Italian defence ever looking as poor as it did last night. God knows what the Italian press will say . Pleased for Holland though, they deserved it. Very, very enjoyable.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nows the time to lump on Italia. They will still come through.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nows the time to lump on Italia. They will still come through.

Gents,,, Eric Calhoun cites law 11.11 in the rulebook - under advice to referees. "A defender who leaves the field during the course of play and does not immediately return must still be considered in determining where the second to last defender is for the purpose of judging which attackers are in an offside position," he says. "Such a defender is considered to be on the touch line or goal line closest to his or her off-field position. A defender who leaves the field with the referee's permission (and who thus requires the referee's permission to return) is not included in determining offside position." To be fair, that does seem pretty categorical. Either way you can be absolutely certain that this story's going to run and run in Italy '

Therefore..... ONSIDE

from Guardian website:
That's EXACTLY the view expressed by the president of the Italian Referees' Association:-

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Europei/2008/Primo_Piano/2008/06_Giugno/09/popup_gussoni.shtml

Gussoni: "Sull'1-0 applicata norma Uefa"

Non ha dubbi Cesare Gussoni, presidente dell'Aia, nel valutare positivamente la decisione di convalidare la rete di Van Nistelrooy. "Il guardalinee ha applicato al 100% la norma Uefa, valutando la posizione di Panucci come quella del giocatore che teneva in gioco van Nistelrooy. Anche io al momento ho pensato al fuorigioco, poi ho visto dal replay che c'era Panucci fuori dal campo". Ma la regola Uefa non parla di volontarietà per il giocatore che esce dal campo? "C'è stata molta immediatezza - spiega il presidente degli arbitri italiani - il senso della regola è evitare che un giocatore si approfitti della sua uscita in campo per mettere in fuorigioco un avversario". Secondo Gussoni, il guardalinee non poteva stabilire se l'uscita di Panucci dal campo era o no intenzionata a far diventare off-side la posizione di van Nistelrooy, e ha così deciso di applicare la norma dell'articolo 11.

Good to see that the renowned Italian sense of "il fairplay" has surfaced. If this had been England, the linesman would be under 24 hour protection by now.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'll take your word for it LB..... my Italian doesn't get past 'que stronso' 'que schifo'

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
That match was the reason you tune into tournaments. Two excellent teams playing beautiful football. The Italians were unlucky, but the the counterattaking goals of the dutch were a joy. I leapt to my feet when the second goal went in, the whole move was sublime.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I was fortunate to see the great Dutch side of the 70s play, especially the master - Cruyff - who is the best player I have ever seen live.

Last night reminded me of those times and I really hope they go on to win it. Like many I was not looking forward to the tournament because we are not in it, but a game like that is a pleasure to watch.

I felt Italy played their part in the entertainment and suffered the doulbe blow of playing against a team at the top of their form, whilst having no luck themselves.

On that evidence, the French are a mile away from Holland and Italy.

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind...

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
What nonsense.

Dutch striker Ruud van Nistelrooy's opening goal in the win over Italy was legitimate, says Premier League referees' chief Keith Hackett.

Van Nistelrooy looked yards offside when he prodded home from close range.

But it appears he was played onside by defender Christian Panucci, who was lying off the pitch.

"The fact is the assistant was correct; the defender who slid off the field is still regarded as active," Hackett told BBC Sport.

"Christian Panucci went off through contact with his own goalkeeper (Gianluigi) Buffon. He is still considered part of the game."

Italy's players were furious with the decision and even the Dutch delayed their celebrations until they were sure the goal had been given.

Italy striker Luca Toni, who was booked for protesting the goal, said: "I looked at the replay during the match and it looked to me as if it was offside.

"I said to the referee, 'look at the replay'. But he didn't look so that was that."
After the game Netherlands forward Dirk Kuyt admitted he was waiting for the goal to be chalked off for offside.

But Hackett's comments back up the chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl, who said the decision was "100% correct".

A Uefa official said the matter may get cleared up at its media briefing on Tuesday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here