Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2008....Holland v Italy...Predictions

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I don't really give a monkeys, but this looks to be a cracking game, and WHAT a second goal that was.

Sexy football indeed.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I do.

I have Buffon as my Fantasy Team keeper

If they give points for clattering your own players, he'd get some there. :lol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Just a question about the first goal...... if a player is off the field and he is recognised as 'out of play' by the referee then he needs the refs permission to come back on... right?

Thus, if Panucci falls behind the goaline during play and stays there if he is not acknowledged by the ref as 'out of play' isnt he still 'in play'? (Based on the fact that he wouldnt ask permission to come back on, hed just stand up and do so). If that's the case there was no offside.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Italys defence is in tatters!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Just a question about the first goal...... if a player is off the field and he is recognised as 'out of play' by the referee then he needs the refs permission to come back on... right?

Thus, if Panucci falls behind the goaline during play and stays there if he is not acknowledged by the ref as 'out of play' isnt he still 'in play'? (Based on the fact that he wouldnt ask permission to come back on, hed just stand up and do so). If that's the case there was no offside.

tricky area as defenders could just walk off and use the "I was off the pitch" route and get an offside, but the fact the player was down injured would, in my eyes, deem him off the field of play and therefore the Horse was Offside.
I think in 99/100 other games the lineo would've raised his flag.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
tricky area as defenders could just walk off and use the "I was off the pitch" route and get an offside, but the fact the player was down injured would, in my eyes, deem him off the field of play and therefore the Horse was Offside.
I think in 99/100 other games the lineo would've raised his flag.

True Marc but it is just as easy to 'fake' an injury when you are out of position.

I agree that nearly every linesman would have flagged but it may be the case that this time the linesman has actually got it right by the book.

Whatever...... brave lino.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
True Marc but it is just as easy to 'fake' an injury when you are out of position.

I agree that nearly every linesman would have flagged but it may be the case that this time the linesman has actually got it right by the book.

Whatever...... brave lino.

yeah by the book then maybe the lino was right, be interesting to see if the ref/lino give an explanation after the game.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
David Pleat said it was well offside - so that's good enuf for me :jester:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
£1 on a Draw at Full Time anyone? 15/2 at Bet365...I'm tempted!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh FFS...come one Italia....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have the R5 commentary and ITV pictures, far better to hear the delightful Scouse tones of Jan Molby than David Bleat...they have made a few horse related comments in relation to Van Nistelrooy...wonder if they are doing it for a bet, see who can get the most in?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Gents,,, Eric Calhoun cites law 11.11 in the rulebook - under advice to referees. "A defender who leaves the field during the course of play and does not immediately return must still be considered in determining where the second to last defender is for the purpose of judging which attackers are in an offside position," he says. "Such a defender is considered to be on the touch line or goal line closest to his or her off-field position. A defender who leaves the field with the referee's permission (and who thus requires the referee's permission to return) is not included in determining offside position." To be fair, that does seem pretty categorical. Either way you can be absolutely certain that this story's going to run and run in Italy '

Therefore..... ONSIDE

from Guardian website:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Italia have been shite tonight, but credit to Holland, they've played very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here