Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
You could argue we could have joined with the EU in joint purchasing of PPE which wouldn't have led to us buying the wrong PPE from other sources and having shortages. Yes this thread is to do with EU and the vaccine rollout but it is taking one issue and applying it to the general debate about EU membership and use it as a stick for political point scoring

I have already said I'd rather still be part of the EU - purely from a business POV - however sometimes you have to take off the blinkers.

The EU, UVL and European leaders have acted appallingly when it comes to the vaccine rollout - it is them who are trying to points score at the moment - and it is going to cost their citizens lives.

BTW, plenty of other Countries in the EU (most notably Italy and Spain) had huge shortages of PPE.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BTW, plenty of other Countries in the EU (most notably Italy and Spain) had huge shortages of PPE.

everywhere did, and companies transitioned to making it as some form of war effort. some countries were shipping in substandard PPE from Russia, China, EU, US, where ever anyone could start a production line.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You'd better tell Macron etc.................

I wish someone would. Personally I can't see any significant reason for them holding the rollout, and the sooner the world is vaccinated (by any vaccine) the better.

However, we have to respect that it is each countries sovereign right to do what they believe they should, and that all of the various Governments should be held to account for all their decisions relating to every aspect (whether it be vaccines, lockdowns, Care homes, PPE, track and trace etc) after the Pandemic.

Just like when Hungary did the same as the UK, and made a decision to approve and start vaccinating before Xmas it is, at the end of the day a Sovereign decision. I see that Hungary now have the 2nd highest percentage vaccinated in the EU (behind Malta). Unfortunately, they also have a high death rate (similar to the UK), so maybe it's a good thing that the majority of the early available vaccines went to the countries who needed it most (whether by design or otherwise !)

Anyway, I think that getting any of the vaccines into people worldwide, as quickly as possible, has to be top priority and I don't see that this is helping. Let's hope they get going again soon.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I wish someone would. Personally I can't see any significant reason for them holding the rollout, and the sooner the world is vaccinated (by any vaccine) the better.

However, we have to respect that it is each countries sovereign right to do what they believe they should, and that all of the various Governments should be held to account for every aspect of their decisions after the Pandemic.

Just like when Hungary similarly to the UK, made a decision to approve and start vaccinating before Xmas it is, at the end of the day a Sovereign decision. I see that Hungary now have the 2nd highest percentage vaccinated in the EU (behind Malta). Unfortunately, they also have a high death rate (similar to the UK), so maybe it's a good thing that the majority of early available vaccines went to the countries who needed it most (whether by design or otherwise !)

Anyway, I think that getting any of the vaccines into people worldwide has to be top priority and I don't see that this is helping. Let's hope they get going again soon.

You have to leave the EU to make sovereign decisions, no?

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
We all know that the UK was still in the EU when it decided to go it alone on the vaccination programme.

Unfortunately you give remainers a bad name as you can't ever see when the EU f**ked up.

What has vaccines got to do with "remaining"? Yes they handled it badly, so what? it's been blown completely out of proportion. 1 issue among hundreds

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
It makes me so bloody angry when all these unelected, failed, sixth rate wannabee politicians, masquerading as leaders, would rather put their precious EU concept before the health and safety of EU citizens (me and Mrs BS included). Now that the Italian director general of their medicines agency, Nicola Magrini has come out publicly to say it's political really sums the lot of them up. To play with the lives of thousands of innocent people just to protect their position and punish anything from the UK is tantamount to 6 year old schoolboy playground tantrums. Why the f**k can't they grow up and admit they got it wrong!

Before anyone jumps in...we both voted 'remain' in the referendum, but now, along with many other expats that would not be the case. And all my friends here, except one, still await a vaccine and would gladly have the O-AZ one. The one friend who had his first jab 3 weeks ago has now had his second appointment cancelled - lack of vaccines of course.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

However, we have to respect that it is each countries sovereign right to do what they believe they should, and that all of the various Governments should be held to account for all their decisions relating to every aspect (whether it be vaccines, lockdowns, Care homes, PPE, track and trace etc) after the Pandemic.

Just like when Hungary did the same as the UK, and made a decision to approve and start vaccinating before Xmas it is, at the end of the day a Sovereign decision. I see that Hungary now have the 2nd highest percentage vaccinated in the EU (behind Malta). Unfortunately, they also have a high death rate (similar to the UK), so maybe it's a good thing that the majority of the early available vaccines went to the countries who needed it most (whether by design or otherwise !)

Anyway, I think that getting any of the vaccines into people worldwide, as quickly as possible, has to be top priority and I don't see that this is helping. Let's hope they get going again soon.

It's only totally uninfluential bystanders commenting that the French etc should or shouldn't vaccinate with OAZ. With some mischievous anti-vaxers and covid deniers jumping on the "there are serious concerns" bandwagon, without a jot of real scientific knowledge or evidence. Just from Professor Facebook.

Only internet and newspaper noise.

There are attempts from all sides to contruct this as a British establishment versus EU or sovereign nations dispute, and then take a side.

In reality, some national health bodies have stopped the use of a drug made by a British-Swedish multinational, with factories across the world.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I absolutely agree, and there are plenty of threads to (rightly) bash Johnson the Govt. regarding Covid.

This thread is to highlight the complete shambles that the EU have made of the vaccine rollout.

Let's be honest here - if we had gone along with France, Germany, Italy etc. and acted as part of the EU Bloc when it came to the vaccine we'd be in far, far worse situation than we are now.

It's also undoubtedly the case that if remain had won in 2016 those trying to deflect blame from the EU now would have been first in line to condemn the UK government if they had decided to diverge from the collective EU approach and would again be trying to deflect from the EU's failures.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's also undoubtedly the case that if remain had won in 2016 those trying to deflect blame from the EU now would have been first in line to condemn the UK government if they had decided to diverge from the collective EU approach and would again be trying to deflect from the EU's failures.

If remain had won we wouldn't have had the Vote Leave bunch of oddballs in charge led by the village idiot making blunder after blunder. Tens of thousands of people would still be alive.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
If remain had won we wouldn't have had the Vote Leave bunch of oddballs in charge led by the village idiot making blunder after blunder. Tens of thousands of people would still be alive.

Mind boggling, Johnson not going into lockdown sooner led to half the death rate in first wave and a third of all deaths were from December when he was trying to 'save christmas' but it's the EU vaccines that get people angry not their own people dying !?!

1 year ago to the day - 1st day of Cheltenham

[tweet]1371749823829917696[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mind boggling, Johnson not going into lockdown sooner led to half the death rate in first wave and a third of all deaths were from December when he was trying to 'save christmas' but it's the EU vaccines that get people angry not their own people dying !?!

1 year ago to the day - 1st day of Cheltenham

[tweet]1371749823829917696[/tweet]

You may find this Twitter account especially illuminating going back through, a real "Lowest hits" of the UK response

https://twitter.com/YearCovid

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You may find this Twitter account especially illuminating going back through, a real "Lowest hits" of the UK response

https://twitter.com/YearCovid

good reminder of how wrong the models were.

what seems to be getting overlooked is those decisions made then were with good intentions and unknown outcomes. can we say that about decisions being made now about vaccines?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
good reminder of how wrong the models were.

what seems to be getting overlooked is those decisions made then were with good intentions and unknown outcomes. can we say that about decisions being made now about vaccines?

"Good intentions" that's kind, the guy disappeared for half of February to sort his divorce and missed countless cobra meetings.

Reckless, cavalier, thoughtless, dis-connected.....just a few words that come to mind

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
"Good intentions" that's kind, the guy disappeared for half of February to sort his divorce and missed countless cobra meetings.

Reckless, cavalier, thoughtless, dis-connected.....just a few words that come to mind

reflecting there was more than one person involved. worth looking back at Sage reports from a year ago, how the advice was still cautious:

...1. On the basis of accumulating data, including on NHS critical care capacity, the advice from SAGE has changed regarding the speed of implementation of additional
interventions.
2. SAGE advises that there is clear evidence to support additional social distancing measures be introduced as soon as possible
[...]
SAGE to discuss at its next meeting how school closures (all setting for under-18s) could affect NHS critical care capacity
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sage-minutes-coronavirus-covid-19-response-16-march-2020

they still didnt have enough data to know what was happening, or tests to track the virus. PHE and DHSC didnt have any pre-planned response and were winging it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Amusing how the EU bots keep trying to divert this thread topic, I wonder why ....

EU may trigger little-used emergency clause to block export of Pfizer vaccines

The president of the European Commission has threatened to use a seldom-used treaty clause to block supplies of Pfizer coronavirus vaccines to Britain unless the UK sends British-manufactured AstraZeneca vaccines to the EU.

Ursula von der Leyen raised the prospect of triggering the emergency Article 122, which would allow the EU to seize factories, waive intellectual property rights and patents and impose export bans on jabs.

"All options are on the table. We are in the crisis of the century and I'm not ruling out anything for now. We have to make sure Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible," Mrs von der Leyen said.

She said Britain was "country number one" benefiting from EU vaccine exports, adding: "This is about making sure that Europe gets a fair share."

Downing Street urged the EU to "stand by its commitment" not to restrict exports of vaccines, made after an export ban was threatened at the height of the bloc's row with AstraZeneca in January.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...ttle-used-emergency-article-122-clause-force/

Unbelievable, they're not even using vaccine supplies already stockpiled because of unfounded scares about one vaccine!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here