Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
When the Guardian has a piece praising the UK and damning the EU vaccine policy makes you realise how badly they ****ed up.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
However, even when Johnson is presented with an open goal he is always bound to overcomplicate any attempt to score to the extend that he will end up face down in the mud with his trousers around his ankles while waving a small Union flag.

You hope, cummings has gone, maybe he has better advisors now

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
However, even when Johnson is presented with an open goal he is always bound to overcomplicate any attempt to score to the extend that he will end up face down in the mud with his trousers around his ankles while waving a small Union flag.

Or stuck up a zip wire

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He makes a few good points. But then seems to lose the plot.

It would be nice if we could extract the Airfix patriots and the blind Europhiles from this debate. The toxicity will end up, literally, killing people.

If nationalism was a stock right now it would have a 'strong buy' indicator against it.

This (although I have no idea what Airfix patriots are - is it supposed to suggest old, racist and thick in some way?). To their credit, several very passionate and committed remainers have acknowledged that the EU are not showing themselves in a good light in this instance. Not a cause for rejoicing by my fellow leavers either - nobody's 'winning' here. Let's just leave the toxicity out of it, eh?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Easyish thought experiment. Pretend the situation is reversed and then see how reasonable you think each side is being.

If I was in an EU country, I'd be thinking why were we behind the UK to the tune of 3 months and I would be shouting at our leaders in the EU for moving so slowly.

Moving past this, and acceptance of this fact - As a citizen of the EU I would then be demanding access to the AZ vaccine now.

Next hurdle is that the AZ medicine has only just been approved today in the EU. 4 weeks later than UK.

In Germany they seem to have a problem with the AZ vaccine not being viable in over 65's.

So in summary, the EU are annoyed at not having access to a vaccine that they took an extra 4 weeks to come to the same conclusion as the MHRA, that took them an extra 3 months to agree contracts, and that Germany don't think should be given to the most vulnerable, and now put a hard border on the Island of Ireland to stop any EU produced vaccine getting into NI. Wow.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would I be able to stick my head above the parapet and ask what an Airfix patriot is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This (although I have no idea what Airfix patriots are - is it supposed to suggest old, racist and thick in some way?). To their credit, several very passionate and committed remainers have acknowledged that the EU are not showing themselves in a good light in this instance. Not a cause for rejoicing by my fellow leavers either - nobody's 'winning' here. Let's just leave the toxicity out of it, eh?

It's the toxic components that I'm hoping will go. And, to be balanced, I've suggested that they run on both sides of the original Brexit debate.

I use the term Airfix patriot as a throwback to the days that us oldies remember when we had model planes to assemble and play with rather than Ipads.

We would run around pretending to bomb the Nazis (although I probably only got to be the Nazis as my brother held the cards).

So a form of nationalistic ideal was formed in the squabbling and playing of the games- nationalistic because there was no war to fight. Not through experience. The idea of them and us was formed even through innocence. I learnt not to like Germans for no other reason than it was the short straw if you got to be them on the upper landing. The Germans were always the baddies- and no-one gave us a new world counter-view.

So thus the view remains in many. Mindless superior ideals with no reasoned arguments. Two world wars and one World Cup... and possibly a vaccine.

But no, nothing toxic in what I've said my friend [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]. It's all that I want to remove. Whether from Brexiteer or remainer. And both seem just as bad at present.

larus

If I was in an EU country, I'd be thinking why were we behind the UK to the tune of 3 months and I would be shouting at our leaders in the EU for moving so slowly.

Moving past this, and acceptance of this fact - As a citizen of the EU I would then be demanding access to the AZ vaccine now.

Next hurdle is that the AZ medicine has only just been approved today in the EU. 4 weeks later than UK.

In Germany they seem to have a problem with the AZ vaccine not being viable in over 65's.

So in summary, the EU are annoyed at not having access to a vaccine that they took an extra 4 weeks to come to the same conclusion as the MHRA, that took them an extra 3 months to agree contracts, and that Germany don't think should be given to the most vulnerable, and now put a hard border on the Island of Ireland to stop any EU produced vaccine getting into NI. Wow.

Yes, but you must realise that this is all down to the UK and BJ. The EU can do no wrong.

Get with the program man!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's the toxic components that I'm hoping will go. And, to be balanced, I've suggested that they run on both sides of the original Brexit debate.

I use the term Airfix patriot as a throwback to the days that us oldies remember when we had model planes to assemble and play with rather than Ipads.

We would run around pretending to bomb the Nazis (although I probably only got to be the Nazis as my brother held the cards).

So a form of nationalistic ideal was formed in the squabbling and playing of the games. Not through experience. The idea of them and us was formed even through innocence. I learnt not to like Germans for no other reason than it was the short straw if you got to be them on the upper landing. The Germans were always the baddies.

So thus the view remains in many. Mindless superior ideals with no reasoned arguments. Two world wars and one World Cup... and possibly a vaccine.

But no, nothing toxic in what I've said my friend @ GT49er. It's all that I want to remove. Whether from Brexiteer or remainer. And both seem just as bad at present.

Airfix? I only made railway engines (or tried to) - only one of them was ever a success for me!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Astra Zeneca is a British Swedish company and the vaccine developed in the UK, we paid for the development so why would it stay in Germany when it was only the very first batch made there that was sent here. well before they had decided to approve it?

My bad. I was thinking of the Pfizer Biontech (or whatever) developed in Germany by people of Turkish origin.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Airfix? I only made railway engines (or tried to) - only one of them was ever a success for me!

I wish you'd been my adopted brother as well :lolol: I love the one I was placed with but he cared little for trains. Mind you, he introduced me to the Albion- before buggering off to support Spurs.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
You are going some when both the DUP and Sinn Fein think you are a ****.

What amazes me is that the EU have spoken for all their member countries, but I'm sure most of those countries abhor this
behaviour by the gravy trainers at the EU.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

So a form of nationalistic ideal was formed in the squabbling and playing of the games- nationalistic because there was no war to fight. Not through experience. The idea of them and us was formed even through innocence. I learnt not to like Germans for no other reason than it was the short straw if you got to be them on the upper landing. The Germans were always the baddies- and no-one gave us a new world counter-view.

But no, nothing toxic in what I've said my friend [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]. It's all that I want to remove. Whether from Brexiteer or remainer. And both seem just as bad at present.

I was more of a Tamiya kid myself.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Really disheartening to see all this "vaccine nationalism" from our side (before Christmas) and let's face it a few powerful member states hiding behind the EU now.

We are still in a form of lockdown in this country if Spain and France aren't vaccinated. The whole of Europe isn't safe until Africa is sorted and I haven't even mentioned the USA.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
339F32EF-D942-49D2-998A-F0EAC727925F.jpeg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm more sure than ever that my vote to leave the EU was the correct decision to make.

EU is a shambles and having seen Boris hold his nerve on Brexit (regardless of if you did or didn’t want it) they are having to back down. I can see many of the member states looking enviously at the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here