Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Good question.

My idea would be to vaccinate all of the UK first to hopefully marginalise the disease here, and then to make about a billion spare vaccines (enough for 10% of the world two doses) to vaccinate the poorer countries of the Commonwealth and other needy ex-colonies. Starting with those with more or less useable infrastructure who can be more or less trusted not to sell the stuff for the benefit of the politicians.

Other countries can be expected to "adopt" their own "poor relations", hopefully. Australia in the Pacific, USA and Spain all over Central/South America, and so forth.

As good an idea as any I would also add prioritising excess vaccine supply to countries with the highest death rates.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Simple fact is those that live in the country who developed it, made it and paid for it will always be the first to use it. Could you imagine the shitstorm if people were dying in this country who could have had the vaccine but it was given to someone in Africa.

All in an ideal World everyone would be getting it.

Agreed, but by that logic the Astra Zeneca one would stay in Germany....... which isn’t disagreeing with what you’ve said.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Thank you. Looks like the member states want to reign in the Commission. I can’t help but think the UK would have been slated for incompetence and nationalism were the boot on the other foot.

‘ The commission has accused AstraZeneca of a breach of contract. It has given its member states the power to block exports of vaccines, raising the spectre of Pfizer doses not being delivered to the UK. But at a meeting of EU ambassadors with commission officials earlier this week, the message was that the capitals were unimpressed.

“The commission was told to change the terms of the debate – we just want vaccines,” said one diplomatic source. “That’s all we want”.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Simple fact is those that live in the country who developed it, made it and paid for it will always be the first to use it. Could you imagine the shitstorm if people were dying in this country who could have had the vaccine but it was given to someone in Africa.

All in an ideal World everyone would be getting it.

I can genuinely imagine the Daily Mail headline... they would have to go back to being a broadsheet for a day in order to accommodate the font size they would use.

Of course they wouldn't mention the fact that the UK has had the worst fatality numbers per capita in the developed world, the 100,000 + deaths are not to be acknowledged until everyone in authority has made their excuses and left.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I can genuinely imagine the Daily Mail headline... they would have to go back to being a broadsheet for a day in order to accommodate the font size they would use.

Of course they wouldn't mention the fact that the UK has had the worst fatality numbers per capita in the developed world, the 100,000 + deaths are not to be acknowledged until everyone in authority has made their excuses and left.

*sigh* Amazing how all the Tory/Brexit haters continually peddle this fib no matter how many times they are corrected.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Out of interest at what point do you think we should be pooling the vaccine supply and not prioritising Uk citizens?

PriorityRisk group

1 Residents in a care home for older adults and staff working in care homes for older adults
2 All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
3 All those 75 years of age and over
4 All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals (not including pregnant women and those under 16 years of age)
5 All those 65 years of age and over
6 Adults aged 16 to 65 years in an at-risk group (see clinical conditions below)
7 All those 60 years of age and over
8 All those 55 years of age and over
9 All those 50 years of age and over
10 Rest of the population (to be determined)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

Plus which country gets the doses?

I would suggest all UK citizens/residents (those that want it ) after that the rest of the world. Nobody is safe until everyone is safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Give it a rest eh[emoji2359]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

Yeah for Christs sake vege give it a rest, be happy that the vaccine program is such a success.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Strange that the EU can make public a (presumably confidential) commercial contract.

It was agreed with AZ prior to publishing. Some parts are redacted for confidentiality.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Actually, this whole AZ vaccine saga is (almost) turning me into a Leaver! I see now the EU is invoking an over-ride to the Northern Ireland protocol. There must be some serious sh1t going on in and around Brussels.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

vegstar,fair comment but surely its getting better ? Her "indoor's" is tested every week and myself every ten days. No one will every deny the way way that the Care System/Nhs has been under funded,but now is not the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here