Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The wider issue here is the anger building up in other parts of the planet now. Various nations saying they cannot get hold of vaccine products due to bulk hoarding orders by richer nations. It was coming.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The one thing i want to see is this sorted out pretty quickly. I am not great when it comes to needles/injections, I used to give blood and most times I had my eyes closed.... What is really pissing me off is that whenever a vaccine is talked about on TV news it has to be discussed with background shots and pictures of Joe Public being inoculated ... every bloody time !

Sometimes you will see three or four different people, old, young and ethnic minorities all being jabbed, FFS everyone over the age of five knows what an injection is and how it is done, we really don't need to see it endlessly happening.

Haha! I had the BCG at school and it was administered with a painless little staple-gun of a thing. I had hopes that this was the future for inoculations.

But every day on TV it's a dirty great Christiane F hypodermic syringe getting slammed into someone's arm. :ohmy:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The wider issue here is the anger building up in other parts of the planet now. Various nations saying they cannot get hold of vaccine products due to bulk hoarding orders by richer nations. It was coming.

Just as predictable is that "vaccine poverty" will be the next buzzphrase used by journalists, campaigners, and politicians.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just as predictable is that "vaccine poverty" will be the next buzzphrase used by journalists, campaigners, and politicians.

Pretty accurate phrasing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yeap all Western countries are looking after this own interests, the EU, the US and Canada (enough vaccine for its population 4 times over)

In Guinea-Bissau they've vaccinated 25 people

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It was set for approval by today. That was expected last week. It's not news.

Disagree, the MHRA approved this vaccine on the 30th of December, we began inoculating on the 4th of Jan. It's taken the EMA an extra month to come to the same conclusion slowing down the rollout of a vaccine the EU are desperate to obtain and use ... probably costing lives.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It would be useful to put your post into the context of whether or not you have had your vaccine ?

Fair enough if you don't want to say, but if you have been vaccinated you could perhaps understand those further back in the queue being a little less noble and a bit more angry about any EU vaccine grab ?

No, I haven’t. I’m 67, so I’m not expecting it quite yet.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yeap all Western countries are looking after this own interests, the EU, the US and Canada (enough vaccine for its population 4 times over)

In Guinea-Bissau they've vaccinated 25 people
And once we have looked after our own interests we will (I hope and expect) move on to look after the poorer parts of the world who have not developed vaccines and can't afford to buy them. All this excess vaccine purchases won't be destroyed. Hopefully they will be distributed while the suppliers continue to ramp up production.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
All jobs are “essential” Dave not just the ones you’re family do [emoji106]x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Were you responding to the wrong post?

I take your point.......... but I am not sure that I would agree that an “influencer’s job is essential, unless it’s to provide other people with things to get annoyed about!

In terms of my family jobs, one daughter is a doctor, her partner a teacher. The other daughter works in an important role in the administration of the Welsh assembly, and her husband works for HMRC, where he is one of their senior people in terms of expertise on VAT on imports and exports - he is, to say the least, fairly busy and under a lot of pressure at the moment.

I say this not to make any sort of point - just out of interest.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No, I haven’t. I’m 67, so I’m not expecting it quite yet.

Out of interest at what point do you think we should be pooling the vaccine supply and not prioritising Uk citizens?

Priority Risk group

1 Residents in a care home for older adults and staff working in care homes for older adults
2 All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
3 All those 75 years of age and over
4 All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals (not including pregnant women and those under 16 years of age)
5 All those 65 years of age and over
6 Adults aged 16 to 65 years in an at-risk group (see clinical conditions below)
7 All those 60 years of age and over
8 All those 55 years of age and over
9 All those 50 years of age and over
10 Rest of the population (to be determined)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

Plus which country gets the doses?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Out of interest at what point do you think we should be pooling the vaccine supply and not prioritising Uk citizens?

Priority Risk group

1 Residents in a care home for older adults and staff working in care homes for older adults
2 All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
4 All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals (not including pregnant women and those under 16 years of age)
6 Adults aged 16 to 65 years in an at-risk group (see clinical conditions below)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

Well that’s not easy, is it.

With tongue in cheek, I would say as soon as I have had mine.

In all seriousness - and it’s never going to happen - some supranational or international organisation should be involved, but it would be ages in the setting, up, presumably, in less the WHO is a strong enough organisation to do it. Maybe the next Economic Forum should tackle it.

But I’m realistic enough to know that’s not going to happen.

On a UK basis, when the science experts told me it would be safe to do it....... I.e. those not yet vaccinated had minimal risk. Although I am unhappy about many of the decisions that have been made - or not made - to date, I am also aware there have been difficult decisions to make. I’m glad I haven’t got to make them

But I’m realistic enough to know it’s not going to happen

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Haha! I had the BCG at school and it was administered with a painless little staple-gun of a thing. I had hopes that this was the future for inoculations.

But every day on TV it's a dirty great Christiane F hypodermic syringe getting slammed into someone's arm. :ohmy:

I didn't know that they were named ! I am tempted tonight to do a Jab Count Bingo when the BBC news comes on at 6.00 tonight, yesterdays had about 8-10 injection shots comfortably and then, when they handed over to Sally Taylor on South Today at 6.30, they instantly led with the vaccine rollout and helpfully showed another 4 people being injected just in case anyone was unaware of the delivery method !!!!!! FFS !

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

In all seriousness - and it’s never going to happen - some supranational or international organisation should be involved, but it would be ages in the setting, up, presumably, in less the WHO is a strong enough organisation to do it. Maybe the next Economic Forum should tackle it.

On a UK basis, when the science experts told me it would be safe to do it....... I.e. those not yet vaccinated had minimal risk. Although I am unhappy about many of the decisions that have been made - or not made - to date, I am also aware there have been difficult decisions to make. I’m glad I haven’t got to make them

Indeed, it's a laudable theoretical idea that brings about a nice altruistic inner glow but when it comes to the practicalities/making hard real-world choices it's unworkable.

Thanks for your honesty though!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Priority Risk group

Good question.

My idea would be to vaccinate all of the UK first to hopefully marginalise the disease here, and then to make about a billion spare vaccines (enough for 10% of the world two doses) to vaccinate the poorer countries of the Commonwealth and other needy ex-colonies. Starting with those with more or less useable infrastructure who can be more or less trusted not to sell the stuff for the benefit of the politicians.

Other countries can be expected to "adopt" their own "poor relations", hopefully. Australia in the Pacific, USA and Spain all over Central/South America, and so forth.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Simple fact is those that live in the country who developed it, made it and paid for it will always be the first to use it. Could you imagine the shitstorm if people were dying in this country who could have had the vaccine but it was given to someone in Africa.

All in an ideal World everyone would be getting it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here