Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We’re being selfish. The EU is being selfish. And meanwhile poorer parts of the world will suffer.

Maybe we could do with a bit less triumphalism and a bit more altruism.

At this exact moment, taking into account the problems with production, how do you suggest the vaccines are distributed?

It's a long process that we're at the start of, it's impossible to do everyone at once.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think there is a massive difference between ordering and having available. There are other factors at play like the timescale they are due to be delivered in. Adding up those we have place orders for it is over 300 million doses including around 30 million of the single shot vaccine.
That said every single order regardless of quantity has been prior to approval and had we ordered just 60 million of one and that ended up not being approved we would be well up the creek. Likewise if we had ordered just one and were then in a position where the first doses wouldn't be available to us until September we would find ourselves in a dark place and those complaining that we have over ordered would be complaining about the opposite.
I suspect Canada's strategy has been similar and those countries who End up with excess will look to divert supplies when it is possible to do so.
Also - no one can know which vaccines work against which variants in advance. Sensible for us to spread the risk.

I'm guessing we may go with Novovax for a major chunk of the population and future boosters going forward.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nobody is being selfish. Everything is proceeding as it has for hundreds if not thousands of years. A person ordering something before another is simply being served first. You can sit there and feel guilt if you choose to but there’s absolutely no need. There’s not enough to go round/ we can’t all be served at the same time so a queue has consequently formed and you wait your turn in it. Simple. That really is all there is to this and any other buy-sell transaction. Pop down your local shops, garage, takeaway etc tomorrow and you’ll see this common behaviour in action I promise! :)

Poor people aren’t in the queue though because they cannot afford to purchase so don’t bother. They are more likely than rich people to die therefore. Again, nothing new to see here. Standard everyday human society in action. Sadly.

One of my elder daughter’s takes on life is “life’s a bitch and then you die”. She’s right!

I get where you’re coming from, obviously, but at your local shop/garage/takeaway what you are shopping for is not normally a life or death matter. You end with the word sadly, but maybe we could change that, and it might be in our own interests. I’ve heard/read more than once that New variants might develop in places which have limited access to vaccines which could come back to us and not be dealt with by the vaccine.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nobody is being selfish. Everything is proceeding as it has for hundreds if not thousands of years. A person ordering something before another is simply being served first. You can sit there and feel guilt if you choose to but there’s absolutely no need. There’s not enough to go round/ we can’t all be served at the same time so a queue has consequently formed and you wait your turn in it. Simple. That really is all there is to this and any other buy-sell transaction. Pop down your local shops, garage, takeaway etc tomorrow and you’ll see this common behaviour in action I promise! :)

Poor people aren’t in the queue though because they cannot afford to purchase so don’t bother. They are more likely than rich people to die therefore. Again, nothing new to see here. Standard everyday human society in action. Sadly.

Your own entry puts itself on trial. It laments human society's standards but upholds them.

The vaccine is not a ticket to an away match with limited capacity in which a queue is to be formed and anyone who fails can listen on the radio. It is life and death for some. The poorer countries lose out the most- we get furloughed or claim benefits as well as accessible health care.

Sadly this thread has become all to predictable.

The [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] type members have inevitably resorted to Airfix patriotism. This, of course, is one situation where that could be set aside in reflection of a common good. But the vaccine is a useful addition to the two world wars and one World Cup. It's been a while.

[MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION] places the post worth most reflection. The one that anyone with reason or compassion would take most note of.

What we see in the AZ crisis is indeed a snapshot of vaccine nationalism. Like two aristocrats fighting over the last caviar portion in an upmarket shop whilst naked beggars, stripped of everything they have, huddle outside and peak in wishing.

The UK will probably be the first nation to complete the programme. An achievement in many different quarters of ingenuity. Proud science. But once we have our vaccines perhaps we should reflect on how fortunate we are. This pandemic has only served to highlight how the world does indeed work.

And many of us don't get brownie points for having seen it coming.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’ve heard/read more than once that New variants might develop in places which have limited access to vaccines which could come back to us and not be dealt with by the vaccine.

Think this is the big threat, mutations happen in places where governments have failed and thing have got out of control, ie the UK, South Africa and Brazil. We have to assume a vaccine resistant strain is coming soon

Hence, the vaccine is only part of the solution. Its almost a year into this now and our borders are still not really secure. Thousands of people entering via the ports every day untested

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Your own entry puts itself on trial. It laments human society's standards but upholds them.

The vaccine is not a ticket to an away match with limited capacity in which a queue is to be formed and anyone who fails can listen on the radio. It is life and death for some. The poorer countries lose out the most- we get furloughed or claim benefits as well as accessible health care.

The [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] type members have inevitably resorted to Airfix patriotism. This, of course, is one situation where that could be set aside in reflection of a common good. But the vaccine is a useful addition to the two world wars and one World Cup. It's been a while.

[MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION] places the post worth most reflection. The one that anyone with reason or compassion would take most note of.

What we see in the AZ crisis is indeed a snapshot of vaccine nationalism. Like two aristocrats fighting over the last caviar portion in an upmarket shop whilst naked beggars, stripped of everything they have, huddle outside and peak in wishing.

The UK will probably be the first nation to complete the programme. An achievement in many different quarters of ingenuity. Proud science. But once we have our vaccines perhaps we should reflect on how fortunate we are. This pandemic has only served to highlight how the world does indeed work.

I think all of what you say is fair and correct, however, and I don’t necessarily include you in this, many people on this board would demonstrate reverse Airfix Patriotism and rip in to the Government if they had ****ed up the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Think this is the big threat, mutations happen in places where governments have failed and thing have got out of control, ie the UK, South Africa and Brazil. We have to assume a vaccine resistant strain is coming soon

Hence, the vaccine is only part of the solution. Its almost a year into this now and our borders are still not really secure. Thousands of people entering via the ports every day untested

That's the spirit. :thumbsup:

It's what keeps us all going.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
One of my elder daughter’s takes on life is “life’s a bitch and then you die”. She’s right!

I get where you’re coming from, obviously, but at your local shop/garage/takeaway what you are shopping for is not normally a life or death matter. You end with the word sadly, but maybe we could change that, and it might be in our own interests. I’ve heard/read more than once that New variants might develop in places which have limited access to vaccines which could come back to us and not be dealt with by the vaccine.

True. When a virus is in many people, its replication is also much much higher. This results in a higher number of different mutations. Many will be weaker and die off, but you just need one that provides an advantage.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What you're trying to say is you don't like a view that doesn't fit your beliefs that the EU are the God almighty
Regards
DF

You see, this is your blind spot. The inability to put down your Lee Enfield. As if the thought of the war being over is more painful than the experience itself. There is nothing for you to go back to.

I'm not really a fan of the EU. I like the concept but not the practice. That may cause a bit of reflection for you but you need to pick that gun up again.

When a thread like this comes up for you its like a call to arms. The sergeant's whistle blows and over the top you go. Which means that rather than engaging in rational discourse you take a smelly dump on all prospects of that. And a couple of your buddys join in.

You've spent years doing it. Offered nothing constructive to anything. 99% would concur.

Anyway, your original statement is incorrect. I think the EU is a bloated institution that can cause division as well as good. I could spend an hour giving my reasoning for this, rather than an inflamed two lines with an odd message of plastic regard. But I fear it would change nothing, nor warrant consideration without the Pelabon shells being fired.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's certainly not your wit.

I can play the ukelele

giphy.gif

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

I bet you’re a good laugh out on the razzle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I bet you’re a good laugh out on the slash,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s a pathetic response to a thoughtful and informed post from [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] But what else would one expect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here