Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU and AstraZeneca

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wise words.

The European Commission is expected to approve new rules that threaten Britain’s supply of Pfizer vaccines from Belgium with an EU export ban on Friday.

Companies will be forced to ask national customs authorities and the European Commission for permission to export vaccines out of the bloc, under the plans for the “export transparency mechanism”....The UK is heavily dependent on the Pfizer vaccine and is expecting almost 3.5 million doses, integral to the Government's target of vaccinating all over-70s by mid-February, to be delivered in the next three weeks.

EU officials said that licences to export would be granted in under 24 hours, raising the prospect of delays to shipments destined for Britain.

During that time, which is likely to be limited to office hours, pharma companies will need the agreement of both national customs authorities and the commission.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...e-belgium-raided-request-european-commission/

EU royally screws up their vaccine procurement policy then decides to cause problems for other countries. Hope this doesn't affect our vaccine role out timetable.

We’re being selfish. The EU is being selfish. And meanwhile poorer parts of the world will suffer.

Maybe we could do with a bit less triumphalism and a bit more altruism.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What baffles me is there are fifth columnists on this board that believe the EU are acting correctly.

Dads-Army-2.jpg

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The highest death rate here might be because we are the fattest in Europe. Obesity has risen 70% in the last 20 years. If covid at hit then then we would be in line with the rest of Europe. You can't blame the government for us being fat fu**ers

I’m overweight, lot of truth in what you write. Ultimately I’m in charge of my body. I mean, it wasn’t always the case. Back in the day when I was objectified by women everywhere, I was consequently forced to...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agreed. When we reach the point where 50% of our population is vaccinated we should absolutely start to look at how we can help other countries by diverting some of our surplus to them. Firstly I think we should help America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Then we should help poorer countries in Asia and Africa. Then maybe Latin America. Then the Middle East. Then a quick check to make sure there’s nobody in Antarctica that needs a jab.

Failing that, I’d love to see us offer vaccine supplies to every single European country that isn’t in the EU.

:) Pointless fact but I read today that Canada has ordered 5 times the number of vaccines it needs to cover its entire population

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We’re being selfish. The EU is being selfish. And meanwhile poorer parts of the world will suffer.

Maybe we could do with a bit less triumphalism and a bit more altruism.

Nobody is being selfish. Everything is proceeding as it has for hundreds if not thousands of years. A person ordering something before another is simply being served first. You can sit there and feel guilt if you choose to but there’s absolutely no need. There’s not enough to go round/ we can’t all be served at the same time so a queue has consequently formed and you wait your turn in it. Simple. That really is all there is to this and any other buy-sell transaction. Pop down your local shops, garage, takeaway etc tomorrow and you’ll see this common behaviour in action I promise! :)

Poor people aren’t in the queue though because they cannot afford to purchase so don’t bother. They are more likely than rich people to die therefore. Again, nothing new to see here. Standard everyday human society in action. Sadly.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
We've ordered enough to vaccinate every one twice over, 357 million doses

Then that is ridiculous if true Clapham. But I doubt it’s that simple. Nobody benefits, and that is why I don’t think it can be true. Or will remain so as the UK population becomes increasingly vaccinated. The storage costs alone would be astronomical and no government is going to sit on such redundant stock levels when other markets would purchase it off us. Surely? What you think?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then that is ridiculous if true Clapham. But I doubt it’s that simple.

it isnt that simple. they ordered different vaccines not knowing which would make it through trails and ramp up their production. four have done, now we wait for production to flow. others are behind. in the event we vaccinate everyone, i'd expect they'll be passed on.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

I wonder what the story behind the stats and phrasing like ‘secured’ is though? Clearly we haven’t nor will purchase 2-3 times more than we need after everyone’s been jabbed. It cannot be so binary. What it does show is how well our government has done in this particular aspect of the covid crisis. The world is rightly a bit envious at this particular moment in this regard.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think there is a massive difference between ordering and having available. There are other factors at play like the timescale they are due to be delivered in. Adding up those we have place orders for it is over 300 million doses including around 30 million of the single shot vaccine.
That said every single order regardless of quantity has been prior to approval and had we ordered just 60 million of one and that ended up not being approved we would be well up the creek. Likewise if we had ordered just one and were then in a position where the first doses wouldn't be available to us until September we would find ourselves in a dark place and those complaining that we have over ordered would be complaining about the opposite.
I suspect Canada's strategy has been similar and those countries who End up with excess will look to divert supplies when it is possible to do so.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Que? UK population 66m. Two doses = 132m, and 2 x2 doses (if you want to count next Autumn's top up and assume it will be two jabs again, which it probably won't) = 264m. Still nearly 100m to give away

Yep, that's correct. You always expect more to be ordered, I was just replying to the post about Canada.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I have read nothing that would make me think your worries would be justified. There is also good news today about the Novavax vaccine. The EU has a PR problem regarding justification of their previous decisions and seem to be trying to deflect attention away from that problem. We should continue with our successful vaccination strategy and do everything we can to help out other nations. That is the UK Government approach and it is a good one.

Let us hope so, I really hope that we will at least get our vulnerable and elderly vaccinated before the EU commandeers our order. They certainly seem to thrashing about like the school yard bully, told their mum that they didn’t want a packed lunch and then at 12 o’clock start punching the smaller kids because they are hungry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here