Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enock Mwepu (Retired 10/10/2022)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He's going to prove to be an excellent player for us, if he needs a year then give him a year. The squad is packed with players ready immediately, we can afford to blood someone over an extended period of time. There's no doubt in my mind that he's a player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I bet Enock left the pitch yesterday thinking he'd be hit by a steam train.
The game was as frenetic as Newcastle v The Leeds but with the skill button turned on.

I agree with this. Coming into that game, mid-flow was a huge ask. Not easy, at all.

Anyone extrapolating anything from his performance has an odd take on the words 'fan' and 'supporter'.

But not this bit.

I can extrapolate from what I saw, that Enoch Mwepu is simply not ready to be dropped into that situation. No shame in that - it was a big, big ask.

He'll learn from it, and he'll have much more comfortable afternoons down the line. But (and there are many understandable reasons why it was so) he was not good today, and it could have cost us.

Suggesting that anyone reaching those conclusions is somehow not a proper fan, is plainly ridiculous.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with this. Coming into that game, mid-flow was a huge ask. Not easy, at all.

But not this bit.

I can extrapolate from what I saw, that Enoch Mwepu is simply not ready to be dropped into that situation. No shame in that - it was a big, big ask.

He'll learn from it, and he'll have much more comfortable afternoons down the line. But (and there are many understandable reasons why it was so) he was not good today, and it could have cost us.

Suggesting that anyone reaching those conclusions is somehow not a proper fan, is plainly ridiculous.

Not loads of low intensity PL games we can blood the fella in though are there. But I take the point entirely, that one was off the scale. I won't be calling for his inclusion in the Palace game if Bissouma isn't fit

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not loads of low intensity PL games we can blood the fella in though are there. But I take the point entirely, that one was off the scale. I won't be calling for his inclusion in the Palace game if Bissouma isn't fit

Personally, I'd currently pick Moder, Alzate or Pascal ahead of him, but that isn't at all to suggest that he won't blossom once he's up to speed.

There are very few low intensity PL games, for sure - but there is a huge difference between playing from the start and warming up as the game accelerates, against coming into it cold once its reached 100 mph.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But not this bit.

It would and absolutely should be plainly ridiculous were it not for the simple fact in some fans minds that 15 minutes will now follow Enock around for the rest of the season and beyond.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What happened to him last night?

A little concerning, especially after his difficult sub appearance against the Leicester.

However, I’m sure Mwepu was purchased for the long term. With the likes of Richards, Moder & Alzate pushing for a place in the first team, we can afford him to play his way into the Premier League without having to be oven ready like Cucurella.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
What happened to him last night?

A little concerning, especially after his difficult sub appearance against the Leicester.

However, I’m sure Mwepu was purchased for the long term. With the likes of Richards, Moder & Alzate pushing for a place in the first team, we can afford him to play his way into the Premier League without having to be oven ready like Cucurella.

My guess is that Biss isn't fit enough for Palace so Mwepu wasn't risked last night.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
100 games in Austrian football. 19 games for Zambia (captain last time out). Champions League & Europa League experience. Clearly not right against Leicester and pulled out (late) last night. The bloke will be absolutely fine when he’s acclimatised to PL football and will play a big part this season.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
My guess is that Biss isn't fit enough for Palace so Mwepu wasn't risked last night.

Your guess is almost definitely wrong! Mwepu isn't ahead of Moder in the pecking order, or Gross. Our great Zambian chap needs some time to get settled into the speed of the English game, not dissimilar to Bissouma. He has all the talent in the world, it's just a case of leaving him to settle in in his own time.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Your guess is almost definitely wrong! Mwepu isn't ahead of Moder in the pecking order, or Gross. Our great Zambian chap needs some time to get settled into the speed of the English game, not dissimilar to Bissouma. He has all the talent in the world, it's just a case of leaving him to settle in in his own time.

Not sure about that. Mwepu was considered a like for like replacement for Bissouma. I think Moder was always considered to be the replacement for the second midfielder..... although didn't Potter think Moder could become a really good CB?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Worrying if true looks out of his depth in the PL at the moment. Would rather Moda played ahead of him.

Its not true or worrying or suspicious. Potter is pretty confident that Bissouma will be fit for Monday. Mwepu just felt his groin so they replaced him with Leonard after the warm up. Potter thinks he'll be fit for the squad on Monday - it was just precautionary. He has plenty of choices if Bissouma isn't fit aside from Mwepu. Its all about as normal as it gets.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Not sure about that. Mwepu was considered a like for like replacement for Bissouma. I think Moder was always considered to be the replacement for the second midfielder..... although didn't Potter think Moder could become a really good CB?
According to who? From the bits I've seen of Mwepu so far he's a different kind of midfielder to Biss.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

I think you're making assumptions all over the place that have very little basis in reality.

According to who? From the bits I've seen of Mwepu so far he's a different kind of midfielder to Biss.

I agree - I think Mwepu is a different type of player. I think Moder has the potential to do a similar job in terms of disrupting play and putting tackles in all over the pitch. I think Bissouma, ultimately, is pretty unreplaceable. You have to adapt the team in his absence because he's like having two players in there with the work he gets through.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I think you're making assumptions all over the place that have very little basis in reality.

I agree - I think Mwepu is a different type of player. I think Moder has the potential to do a similar job in terms of disrupting play and putting tackles in all over the pitch. I think Bissouma, ultimately, is pretty unreplaceable. You have to adapt the team in his absence because he's like having two players in there with the work he gets through.

Biss is an irreplaceable, world class talent. He's Brighton's first (at the peak of his powers) £100m footballer and could play in any midfield on the planet. How's that for hyperbole:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here