Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] England’s response to the Haka

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is my favourite ever response to the haka, in Paris in WC QF. France won this game. Take on the haka, beat the all blacks

Lovely stuff. The kiwis look like a bunch of over fed toddlers whose babysitter has told them no more sweets.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
New Zealand grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck, and totally dominated it, right up to the moment they finished the Haka.
The rest is history !

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I like the Haka and its sense of challenge and the history behind it, also its not just the Kiwis that do it, Tonga has its own Sipi Tau, the Fijians have the Cibi and Samoa the Siva Tau so its a well established and accepted ritual in the Pacific Islands. That said it does seem a little bit like a bunch of fellas on a night out goading each other for a fight, the classic 'Come on then'. In a sporting setting it does seem a little unfair though as its allowing one side an opportunity to effectively intimidate the other with no reply so perhaps they should come out a few minutes early and do it whilst the opposition are still in the dressing room. Probably misses the point in doing it but the opposition teams should have the option of a free hit in responding in any fashion they see fit. Liked the French response a few years back they properly faced the Kiwis up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I like the Haka and its sense of challenge and the history behind it, also its not just the Kiwis that do it, Tonga has its own Sipi Tau, the Fijians have the Cibi and Samoa the Siva Tau so its a well established and accepted ritual in the Pacific Islands. That said it does seem a little bit like a bunch of fellas on a night out goading each other for a fight, the classic 'Come on then'. In a sporting setting it does seem a little unfair though as its allowing one side an opportunity to effectively intimidate the other with no reply so perhaps they should come out a few minutes early and do it whilst the opposition are still in the dressing room. Probably misses the point in doing it but the opposition teams should have the option of a free hit in responding in any fashion they see fit. Liked the French response a few years back they properly faced the Kiwis up.

The oppo should go behind their own try line and sign autographs.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Seen lots mentioned about it, some praising it and some claiming it was extremely disrespectful. What do you think? New rules by the IRB are to give the Haka the utmost respect and not to encroach over the halfway line when it is being performed. Some England players did and Nigel Owens had to warn them.

said it in the pub before the game .....**** 'em .....if crossing the half way line before kick off is an issue then fair enough but if it's just so them pricks can try to intimidate the opposition then nah .....**** 'em.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Has a New Zealander ever been dropped for doing a bad haka, or heaven forbid, being a pacifist or conscientious objector and refusing altogether ?

Anyway, what is the point of YNWA at Anfield? Yes I know it is emotional the first time you hear it, but it is just not on for a tribal vocal display to greatly increase the time between the teams coming out and the kick off.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
So when NZ play Samoa do they both do it? At the same time? In what order?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why do they get a haka AND an anthem?

We shouldn't encroach their half, but equally, we should ignore them doing their 'warm up'.

Perhaps we could ask that, going forward, we can have an anthem plus a verse and a chorus of 'Boogie Nights' so the boys can have a little dance? Fair's fair and all that.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Haka aside I am looking forward to the end of this WC so I can stop being told how football can 'learn so much from rugger'.

Yep - like biting, gouging, punching and semi homo-erotic after match activities.

Next Sunday it'll all be over and the public can get on with not giving a shit.

Still... COME ON ENGLAND.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Seen lots mentioned about it, some praising it and some claiming it was extremely disrespectful. What do you think? New rules by the IRB are to give the Haka the utmost respect and not to encroach over the halfway line when it is being performed. Some England players did and Nigel Owens had to warn them.

Forgive my ignorance, genuine question, what did England do in response? And which part could be claimed as disrespectful? I watched the video, they just seemed to stand there looking at them, and one England player smiled at them. Or was that the response?

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Forgive my ignorance, genuine question, what did England do in response? And which part could be claimed as disrespectful? I watched the video, they just seemed to stand there looking at them, and one England player smiled at them. Or was that the response?

I suspect it was the Churchillian formation of the England team that a few people have picked up on - at least that's my take on it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I suspect it was the Churchillian formation of the England team that a few people have picked up on - at least that's my take on it.

Sorry, none the wiser, just searched Churchillian formation and came up with nothing. Is it because they stood in a sort of V shape? If that offended them then the term snowflake is barely adequate to describe them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I haven't seen anyone complaining about it, or calling it disrespectful. I suspect Crodo is being a little tinker there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here