Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] England’s response to the Haka

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Forgive my ignorance, genuine question, what did England do in response? And which part could be claimed as disrespectful? I watched the video, they just seemed to stand there looking at them, and one England player smiled at them. Or was that the response?

Some people are just trying to get clicks, storm in a teacup...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
YMCA would be ace

Completely off-topic, but I've always thought we (Brighton) should do something with YMCA, what with us being the team that is seen as the de facto representatives of gay culture and all that. Something like:
"It's fun to play for the B and H A!", although I don't know how we'd sign the 'B'.

A goer? Or a bad idea that's about ten years too late?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Completely off-topic, but I've always thought we (Brighton) should do something with YMCA, what with us being the team that is seen as the de facto representatives of gay culture and all that. Something like:
"It's fun to play for the B and H A!", although I don't know how we'd sign the 'B'.

A goer? Or a bad idea that's about ten years too late?

The latter.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This should be our response.

Seriously though, I’ve never understood why we have to stand an accept an intimidating war dance, especially as we’re not allowed to do anything in return.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Had Eddie Jones all over it (in a good way). One of the players said it was his idea. Loved it. The only way we were going to win today was to get amongst them and we started before kick off. Great to see.
What did we do? Looked like all the English players just stood there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They stood in a V formation as if flicking a V sign.
I think it's very unlikely that any Kiwi thought we were flicking the V sign. Most probably don't even know what the V sign is.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
The point is this a Maorie traditional custom not a New Zealand one. If we had simply continued chatting between ourselves would we have been told we did not give it respect. In New Zealand it is used as a show for tourists who can go to Maorie villages, so if it has been turned into a make money making ritual how can any one disrespect it. Also as stated why should they be allowed to do it and the other team not respond. Also some of the arm gestures could be seen as saying Fck you over here so disrespectful to us.In all honesty its past its sell by date and should be dropped

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
New Zealand army used to do the Haka before they went into battle - WW2 included.

So I like it. It captures the spirit of a nation imho.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The point is this a Maorie traditional custom not a New Zealand one. If we had simply continued chatting between ourselves would we have been told we did not give it respect. In New Zealand it is used as a show for tourists who can go to Maorie villages, so if it has been turned into a make money making ritual how can any one disrespect it. Also as stated why should they be allowed to do it and the other team not respond. Also some of the arm gestures could be seen as saying Fck you over here so disrespectful to us.In all honesty its past its sell by date and should be dropped

I like this - a traditional English custom is chatting about the weather. So maybe we should simply make all the other countries wait and watch whilst we look up at the skies and chat for a while!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
que.jpg

Should take this out on the field and stand behind it

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
The fine is ridiculous.
Down here on the radio this morning a leading Journo said the England captain pre match should be thinking, about Line Out & Scrum tactics, not worrying about a fine if their Haka response crosses the half way line.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bloody hell, First World problems winding people up :rolleyes:

I love the HAKA btw :shrug:

The fine is laughable.

Anyway who gives a ****, we outclassed them and are in the Final, let’s concentrate on that.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
World Rugby have handed England a ‘significant four figure fine’ for their response to the Haka and been warned as to their future can uct whereby if a similar incident takes place within 24 months they will face further sanctions.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
They lined up (encroachment into their half aside, bad boys) and faced them in silence. A fine is ridiculous. Would have understood if they (say) turned their backs dropped their shorts and mooned them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here