Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England's R16 Opponents - Confirmed as Slovakia

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
As we're nearing the end of the 2nd matchday, this could now change every day. I'll try to update after the last games each night if I can (or asap the morning after). We will know where England finish on Tuesday night, so with the final update I'll also try and add some perms & combs depending on the final outcomes on Wednesday if still relevant. It might get messy.

**Update** after 21 June: Scotland and Hungary can no longer finish top of Group A. Poland are out of the tournament.

Down to 13 possible opponents.

If England finish top of the group:
3rd place from Group D, E or F, depending on where the four highest 3rd place teams come from. Any team in those groups could finish 3rd as things stand, except Poland.

Possibles: Netherlands, France, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Portugal, Czechia, Türkiye, Georgia.

If England finish 2nd:
Winner of Group A. Germany as things stand. Will be Germany unless Switzerland beat them on Sunday.

Possibles: Germany, Switzerland.

If England finish 3rd:
Winner of Group E or F. Any team in those groups could finish 1st as things stand.

Possibles: Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Portugal, Czechia, Türkiye, Georgia.

All possibles: Netherlands, France, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Portugal, Czechia, Turkiye, Georgia, Germany, Switzerland.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
**Update** after 21 June: Scotland...can no longer finish top of Group A.

At the risk of appearing wise after the event, I did start to doubt the likelihood of this when the 5th German goal went in.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
**Update** after Türkiye v Portugal: Portugal have won Group F. Any of the three other teams can still finish 3rd.

Still 13 possible opponents, just a few tweaks.

3rd place from Group D, E or F, depending on where the four highest 3rd place teams come from. Any team in those groups could finish 3rd as things stand, except Poland and Portugal.

Possibles: Netherlands, France, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Czechia, Türkiye, Georgia.

If England finish 2nd:
Winner of Group A. Germany as things stand. Will be Germany unless Switzerland beat them on Sunday.

If England finish 3rd:
Winner of Group E or F. Any team in Group E could finish 1st as things stand. Portugal are winner of Group F.

Possibles: Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Portugal.

All possibles: Netherlands, France, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Portugal, Czechia, Türkiye, Georgia, Germany, Switzerland.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Looking at those teams, I’d rather finish third than second (which will almost certainly mean Germany)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Looking at those teams, I’d rather finish third than second (which will almost certainly mean Germany)
My neighbour services Jet planes for a living . . . He says Englands is shit house, it's fully serviced but not really fit for purpose so they left it ticking over as it's only a short stop over

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
**Update** after Türkiye v Portugal: Portugal have won Group F. Any of the three other teams can still finish 3rd.

Still 13 possible opponents, just a few tweaks.

3rd place from Group D, E or F, depending on where the four highest 3rd place teams come from. Any team in those groups could finish 3rd as things stand, except Poland and Portugal.

Possibles: Netherlands, France, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Czechia, Türkiye, Georgia.

If England finish 2nd:

If England finish 3rd:
Winner of Group E or F. Any team in Group E could finish 1st as things stand. Portugal are winner of Group F.

Possibles: Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Portugal.

All possibles: Netherlands, France, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Belgium, Ukraine, Portugal, Czechia, Türkiye, Georgia, Germany, Switzerland.
Do you know what date the game would be if we finish 3rd?

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Do you know what date the game would be if we finish 3rd?
It's complicated as it depends on which combination of four teams goes through as the four 3rd highest (15 combinations). But I think it would be either Monday 1 July 20:00 v Portugal, or Tuesday 2 July 17:00 against whoever wins Group E (Belgium, Romania, Ukraine, Slovakia).

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
PS Nothing to update after Belgium v Romania as Group E is still bonkers.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
They've gone downhill since they won the World Cup in 1978.
Don’t! I’m old enough for that World Cup and it’s no joke that at the time the team certainly could have made a serious impact.
It was ‘things like this’ that made the tournaments so enjoyable in the 70s and 80s, for an old boy like me it’s not the same now

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
3rd means Portugal or probably Belgium. Not sure I fancy us against those either tbh. And if we made the quarters, we'd face either the winner of Group D 2nd v Group E 2nd, or Group D 1st v Group F 2nd. So a good chance of France/Netherlands/Austria.

But if we finished 2nd and beat Germany, we would probably face Spain in the quarters. So no easy games. Yes on balance I'd probably slightly prefer finishing 3rd over 2nd. But finishing 1st would be a huge advantage.

I will start putting some proper combos together as the final group matches progress. Too many variables at the moment.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don’t! I’m old enough for that World Cup and it’s no joke that at the time the team certainly could have made a serious impact.
It was ‘things like this’ that made the tournaments so enjoyable in the 70s and 80s, for an old boy like me it’s not the same now
That team was good enough to win that tournament. Outstanding line up. Possibly the best team to leave the UK in the old era of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here