Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Sri Lanka, First Test, Cardiff

No it won't the aim of the bowler is not to pitch the ball as far away from the batsman as he can, it is to try and get his wicket. If I was a bowler I would be looking to clip the top of off stump, not pitch it miles outside leg, as you seem to imply. Just because the LBW rule has been changed doesn't mean to say bowlers will do anything differently, they will still try and clip the off stump because that is the place least protected by the bat (and leg).

Well, it's all about opinions isn't it. I'm sure that if the MCC considered it a major issue they'd look at revising the law, as they have done with the limit on bouncers; I think it would create more of an imbalance that it would fix.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Well, it's all about opinions isn't it. I'm sure that if the MCC considered it a major issue they'd look at revising the law, as they have done with the limit on bouncers; I think it would create more of an imbalance that it would fix.

Cricket (test cricket especially) needs to attract more viewers, test cricket is struggling throughout the world (except England). People whom have a passing interest in the game and could be attracted to go are confused by absurdities such as a TV replay showing hawkeye having the ball crashing into the stumps and it being given not out. People tell me this who have an interest but don't truly understand things such as pitching in line, blah, blah and you can almost say "I know it is ridiculous".

I will always love the game whatever the rules, but it is absurdities such as this and going off for bad light and sh1t like that, that put those that may be interested off the game.

Cricket (test cricket especially) needs to attract more viewers, test cricket is struggling throughout the world (except England).

This is a fair point; but you are talking about giving the bowlers an advantage beyond what they already have; in fact all of the evidence seems to suggest that fans (particularly in India, by far the biggest market for the game) want to see more batting and more runs scored rather than more wickets and difficult batting conditions. I think once someone is interested enough in cricket to watch it explaining the peculiarities is the last step and not likely to be a massive barrier; it's getting them interested in the first place that is difficult.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Bowling looking very ordinary with Anderson off the field

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here