Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Sri Lanka, First Test, Cardiff

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Or stop batsman padding up, yawn.

You can get scenarios where left arm spinners bowl around the wicket to right hand batsman and pitch it into rough and all the batsman does is pad up because he can't be given out LBW because the ball pitches outside the leg stump......inspiring sport.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Batsmen already can't pad up - if they aren't playing a shot they can still be out LBW if it's hitting them outside the line (as long as it's outside off stump not leg stump).

I refer the honourable gentleman to post 102. Seen it loads of times.

I thought if any part of the ball that hit him was in line he was out ?

(I've not seen it)

I think that's what the rule book says. The UDRS is a bit different because the leeway is given due to the possibility that the technology might be wrong, rather than anything specific in the rule book. If there's less than half a ball on Hawkeye between the ball hitting or not hitting then they are saying that they can't be sure whether the correct decision was made or not (as Hawkeye may err), and as such the ruling on the field stands.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Broad is pissing Dar off now. He'll give it not out, even if he clean bowls him.

I refer the honourable gentleman to post 102. Seen it loads of times.

But that's because it's a horrendously negative bowling tactic. If you could be out LBW to a ball that pitched outside leg then every slow left armer and leg spinner would pitch it there and hope it turned enough to clip leg stump, as it's harder for the batsman to reach legside than offside. As it is, a bowler pitching outside leg is doing it purely because they don't want runs scored off them, rather than as a legitimate wicket-taking tactic.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
But that's because it's a horrendously negative bowling tactic. If you could be out LBW to a ball that pitched outside leg then every slow left armer and leg spinner would pitch it there and hope it turned enough to clip leg stump, as it's harder for the batsman to reach legside than offside. As it is, a bowler pitching outside leg is doing it purely because they don't want runs scored off them, rather than as a legitimate wicket-taking tactic.

It's not when there is a load of rough there on days 4 and 5 which have been caused by right arm seamers from the other end. I have seen many times batsman just pad up because of that and the tactic of the bowlers to try and utilise this rough is negated....this rough actually only comes into play when a leftie is out there, to a right hander batsman it is irrelevant because of this very rule.

In any case going back to my orignal point if the ball is going to crash into the stumps why does it matter whether it hit in line or pitched outside the leg, what a load of old cobblers.

It's not when there is a load of rough there on days 4 and 5 which have been caused by right arm seamers from the other end. I have seen many times batsman just pad up because of that and the tactic of the bowlers to try and utilise this rough is negated....this rough actually only comes into play when a leftie is out there, to a right hander batsman it is irrelevant because of this very rule.

In any case going back to my orignal point if the ball is going to crash into the stumps why does it matter whether it hit in line or pitched outside the leg, what a load of old cobblers.

But it is a negative tactic for exactly the reason I outline in my original post. If you can pitch the ball anywhere to get an LBW, you are going to aim to keep the ball as far away from the bat as possible, because that gives the batsman the smallest chance of getting bat on ball. Every leggie and slow left armer would, even on day one, pitch it outside leg and hope it will spin in enough to shave leg stump (and the URDS has really benefitted spinners in getting LBW decisions). No doubt fast bowlers would do the same; bowl round the wicket, pitch it outside leg and get it swinging in at pace towards leg stump, as far away from the bat as possible.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
But it is a negative tactic for exactly the reason I outline in my original post. If you can pitch the ball anywhere to get an LBW, you are going to aim to keep the ball as far away from the bat as possible, because that gives the batsman the smallest chance of getting bat on ball. Every leggie and slow left armer would, even on day one, pitch it outside leg and hope it will spin in enough to shave leg stump (and the URDS has really benefitted spinners in getting LBW decisions). No doubt fast bowlers would do the same; bowl round the wicket, pitch it outside leg and get it swinging in at pace towards leg stump, as far away from the bat as possible.

No it won't the aim of the bowler is not to pitch the ball as far away from the batsman as he can, it is to try and get his wicket. If I was a bowler I would be looking to clip the top of off stump, not pitch it miles outside leg, as you seem to imply. Just because the LBW rule has been changed doesn't mean to say bowlers will do anything differently, they will still try and clip the off stump because that is the place least protected by the bat (and leg).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here