Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND v PARAGUAY - The NSC Official Thread

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Trufflehound said:
We'll all have to find another excuse to moan.
The referee's normally a good default one for England. :shootself

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Lets try and be positive about this shall be, law of averages suggests that sooner or later, Sven will make a substitution that will have a benefit to the team.

Keep The Faith

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Well with no Collina at this tournament it is one that is likely to come up with the rations.

Also Hargreaves seems a good one.

Theo Walcott and no Defoe (thank god) seem good as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
Ronaldo practiced for Brazil on Tuesday, two days after not playing the second half of a win over New Zealand because of blisters on his feet.

"The blisters have healed ... there are no problems anymore. He is free to do whatever everyone else is doing," Brazil doctor Jose Luiz Runco said.
Nobody misses a World Cup match through "blisters" Kinky. I mean come on. So he came off in some meaningless friendly against New Zealand...do you honestly mean to tell me that blisters can't be bound and bandaged for a World Cup fixture ?

I say again, NOBODY puts themselves out of the World Cup because of blisters.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Easy 10 said:
Nobody misses a World Cup match through "blisters"

Nobby Jenkins, 1982. A pensioner from Eastbourne, who got blisters while out walking the dog. Sat down in the road to nurse his painful soles, got hit by a no.17 bus. Spent the next month in a coma in hospital and missed the entire tournament.

And all because of those troublesome feet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
It was doing neither him or the team any favours playing for the dull 90 minutes. The problem is the substitution that took place was not all that effective. Would have probably been better to have stuck Lennon and let him run at them through the middle.
Freudian slip there ? :lolol:

I would've loved to have seen half an hour from Lennon in place of Beckham, for a burst of pace against tiring legs. Sven also elected to switch Cole infield and bring on Downing rather than risking Walcott in Owens place when he was subbed. That suggests to me that he doesn't believe Walcott is ready yet, but has probably only recently come to this conclusion. Two weeks too late, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trufflehound said:
Nobby Jenkins, 1982. A pensioner from Eastbourne, who got blisters while out walking the dog. Sat down in the road to nurse his painful soles, got hit by a no.17 bus. Spent the next month in a coma in hospital and missed the entire tournament.

And all because of those troublesome feet.
I bow to your superior knowledge

:bowdown:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Easy 10 said:

I would've loved to have seen half an hour from Lennon in place of Beckham, for a burst of pace against tiring legs. Sven also elected to switch Cole infield and bring on Downing rather than risking Walcott in Owens place when he was subbed. That suggests to me that he doesn't believe Walcott is ready yet, but has probably only recently come to this conclusion. Two weeks too late, unfortunately.

Well, now that Walcott is injured, maybe Sven will replace him - are we allowed to do that?

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Easy 10 said:
Acclimatise ? They're in GERMANY for crying out loud, its not even 2 hours on a plane !

ah but they had been in England during the wettest May on record and now they are in hot Germany with an hours time difference. Its hard playing footy in the heat - I am not being sarcastic, everyone who was there says it was very hot.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:

Why take Beckham off? He was our most effective source of delivery and has been in good form coming into this tournament. If you were going to lose a midfielder it should have been Lampard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here