Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND v PARAGUAY - The NSC Official Thread

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Dougal said:
Any one out there was not bothererd by the performance and the 3 points meant it was party time. 1st games for us have been notoriously non eventful and I think the 1st half performance and the win is what we have to take from this. It's all about qualifying, we know we have players that have the ability to turn it on , i think this will more likely happen against quality opposition, but at the end of the day a sign of a good team is win when not playing that well.

Incidently for all the knocking , how many saves did robinson actually make ? possibly 1 !! hardly battered were we !!

En-ger-land en-ger-land

Agreed. Bit of perspective put on it in the paper this morning, when I read thats only the third opening game we've won in 56 years:eek:

With the Sweden / T&T draw, we're sitting pretty now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Done himself some damage ? What, gone off with sunburn or something ?

Its only seems to be the England players (and management) that go on and on about the heat. Everyone else just gets on with it. Theres nothing wrong with playing football at 3pm in June for christ sake. Or do we have to wait for the World Cup to be staged in Finland with 8pm kickoffs all the way, on a muddy pitch. When its drizzling.

:rolleyes:

Half the players had blisters on both feet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I suppose everyone else has got harder feet than english players then eh. Poor lambs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
I suppose everyone else has got harder feet than english players then eh. Poor lambs. :rolleyes:

You would be moaning about us not taking Owen off if his blisters kept him out of the next game or two.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
You would be moaning about us not taking Owen off if his blisters kept him out of the next game or two.
Have you ever, EVER heard of a player missing a game or two in a World Cup because of "blisters" ?

"Michael vil not be risked in the next game, he has picked up a new injury"
"Whats that then Sven"
"Vell, err, he is recovering from some blisters"

Do me a favour.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Have you ever, EVER heard of a player missing a game or two in a World Cup because of "blisters" ?

"Michael vil not be risked in the next game, he has picked up a new injury"
"Whats that then Sven"
"Vell, err, he has some blisters"

Do me a favour.

Err yes

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Done himself some damage ? What, gone off with sunburn or something ?

Its only seems to be the England players (and management) that go on and on about the heat. Everyone else just gets on with it. Theres nothing wrong with playing football at 3pm in June for christ sake. Or do we have to wait for the World Cup to be staged in Finland with 8pm kickoffs all the way, on a muddy pitch. When its drizzling.

:rolleyes:

Here we go again.

He is obviously not fit, he was struggling in the game and the heat and was knackered. So he stays on, really pushing himself and due to over doing it pulls a muscle or the like and then is out for a few weeks and you would all be on Sven's back for him getting injured.

The game was not safe at 1-0, Owen was a passenger so that took him off. That was the right thing to do, the actual change of personel might not have been correct.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:

Ronaldo practiced for Brazil on Tuesday, two days after not playing the second half of a win over New Zealand because of blisters on his feet.

"The blisters have healed ... there are no problems anymore. He is free to do whatever everyone else is doing," Brazil doctor Jose Luiz Runco said.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
They do get summers over there and they do tend to be hot.

I suspect any of the teams that have the 1500 kick offs at present will comment that the conditions are difficult.

They all have I believe.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Said it is rather hot? This happens every World Cup, FIFA have mid afternoon games the teams point out the conditions are counter productive but FIFA schedule them anyway. I guess that TV has something to do with this as well.

Im sure the Dutch are considering making a complant.

FFS The English team drank 70 litres of water when they normally get through 20.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Uncle Buck said:
Here we go again.

He is obviously not fit, he was struggling in the game and the heat and was knackered. So he stays on, really pushing himself and due to over doing it pulls a muscle or the like and then is out for a few weeks and you would all be on Sven's back for him getting injured.

The game was not safe at 1-0, Owen was a passenger so that took him off. That was the right thing to do, the actual change of personel might not have been correct.

Agreed

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
Here we go again.

Owens played about 3 games this year, so we know he's not match fit yet. We knew that before the tournament. But he's not going to get match fit if he's not even getting an hour - at this rate he'll still be off the pace for the knockout rounds. I'm not saying he should be really pushing himself and charging around like a mentalist, but he should at least be given the 90 in these 3 group games.

Just noticed that our 2nd round game will kick off at 4pm. Will that still be too sunny for us I wonder.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Perry Milkins said:
I wonder how many extra moaners would be on here or would change allegiance if Mark McGhee were England Manager?

And Vice Versa.

I really do think Easy 10 is NSCs Ian Wright!

Did you have a son that wasnt picked for the squad Easy?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Owens played about 3 games this year, so we know he's not match fit yet. We knew that before the tournament. But he's not going to get match fit if he's not even getting an hour - at this rate he'll still be off the pace for the knockout rounds. I'm not saying he should be really pushing himself and charging around like a mentalist, but he should at least be given the 90 in these 3 group games.

Just noticed that our 2nd round game will kick off at 4pm. Will that still be too sunny for us I wonder.

He should not be given 90 minutes if the game is not safe and he is a passenger.

At present better that he works his socks off for 50 minutes and goes off, rather than is carried for 90 minutes.

It was doing neither him or the team any favours playing for the dull 90 minutes. The problem is the substitution that took place was not all that effective. Would have probably been better to have stuck Lennon and let him run at them through the middle.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here