Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ENGLAND v PARAGUAY - The NSC Official Thread

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Silent Bob said:
Becuase doing that is just burying your head in the sand and hoping our problems will just disappear when we play better teams.

Damn straight. This "it doesn't matter how shit we are if we win" thing is ridiculous; if we don't sort it out now, we'll pay for it later. Again.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well after the Sweden & T&T result, the pressure is surely off us now to qualify and we should see us play without fear in the next two games.
So although not a good performance, allowance for the heat and first game nerves must be allowed.
Next two games should see us showing what we are capable of.
Come on England.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Surely qualification in 1st place is the goal for these group games. Any way you do that is acceptable and, if we win on Thursday and Sweden don't, then we'll have done it before we even play them on the 20th.

Remember too that we have Owen still looking for match fitness and Terry, Gerrard, Beckham and A Cole who didn't train for all of last week. We now have the prospect of a game against the weakest team followed by a practice match to complete their return to form and fitness.

Nobody wins anything during the group stages, but you can lose badly. We didn't, so everything's still on course.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jim D said:
Remember too that we have Owen still looking for match fitness
Which he's really going to get when Sven takes him off after less than an hour.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It was rather uninspiring wasn't it?

After all the build up, all the bullish talk and optimism I can't help but fell a little deflated. We played exactly the same way as we always seemed to do. I was hoping for a really dominant display that would mark us out as serious contenders. Instead we got...

On the plus side, we got the points, we're as close to a certainty to qualify as you can imagine after only one game out of three, which is a first for us, it was another 90minutes(or not...) in the quest for getting match fitness for the likes of Owen and Cole, Gerrard, Terry(?) and Beckham all missed training last week so it was good to get them back up to speed, Joe Cole played well.

On the downside, we had no one who took control of the game, we didn't create too many quality chances against a mediocre side, Stewart Downing looked very average, another insipid second half and some questionable substitutions/tactics.

Still, onwards and upwards...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just got back from Germany, went to the game. Excellent event all round brilliant. Slightly disappointed to see the general response on here is a bunch of moaners!!

Yes we faded second half, but we could well have been three up at half time.

All that matters is that we won the game and we are in a very strong position to qualify now.

And it was mega mega hot out there. The walk I had from the car left me breathless, let alone running around in the middle of the pitch! Not that that says much!

Did anyone see my St Georges flag with the Brighton badge in the middle. It was in the corner where England defended first half. But some picky german steward took it down before the start because it was apparently covering the advertising!! I couldn't be arsed to argue, although pointed at the other thousand on display!!!

Anyone else go, and come back, or are all the lucky ones still out there?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Giraffe said:

Did anyone see my St Georges flag with the Brighton badge in the middle. It was in the corner where England defended first half. But some picky german steward took it down before the start because it was apparently covering the advertising!! I couldn't be arsed to argue, although pointed at the other thousand on display!!!

Yup, I spied that.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Im just glad we got 3 points and am praying as the aclimatise that they will give better performances.

When Owen came off it showed we should have taken better cover for Rooney but as Rooney gets fitter this problem will disappear....hopefully

Sorry but I cannot see what Hargreaves brings to the party, he is lacking in confidence and gives the ball away too easily, but they all did that in the 2nd half.

So in summary 3 points is 3 points, but Carrick or Carragher ahead of Hargreaves when we shut up shop please Sven

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
was out there , was amazing , the heat was intense and felt more than 30 . Great atmosphere out there and I think its a bit unfair for all the negativity . Any one out there was not bothererd by the performance and the 3 points meant it was party time. 1st games for us have been notoriously non eventful and I think the 1st half performance and the win is what we have to take from this. It's all about qualifying, we know we have players that have the ability to turn it on , i think this will more likely happen against quality opposition, but at the end of the day a sign of a good team is win when not playing that well.

Incidently for all the knocking , how many saves did robinson actually make ? possibly 1 !! hardly battered were we !!

En-ger-land en-ger-land

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Yup, I spied that.

Don't suppose you took a picture that you could let me have?

Was banking on doing that at half time but the stewards had taken it down by then!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
It was an odd substitution, but an old excuse, but with his lack of fitness and that heat he could have done himself some damage.

Having 3pm games in June really is stupid by FIFA, they should have learnt this last World Cup.
Done himself some damage ? What, gone off with sunburn or something ?

Its only seems to be the England players (and management) that go on and on about the heat. Everyone else just gets on with it. Theres nothing wrong with playing football at 3pm in June for christ sake. Or do we have to wait for the World Cup to be staged in Finland with 8pm kickoffs all the way, on a muddy pitch. When its drizzling.

:rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Stinky Kat said:
Im just glad we got 3 points and am praying as they aclimatise that they will give better performances.
Acclimatise ? They're in GERMANY for crying out loud, its not even 2 hours on a plane !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here