Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v New Zealand - 1st Test - Lords

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Agreed, he should've known better at that age...but you say "in the current climate it is very poor form", yet these were from 8-9 years ago? I bet there was a lot worse being tweeted back then, and no one was batting an eye lid...less than a decade ago.

A large number of current and recent ECB coaches and management thought a tour of apartheid South Africa was alright. I'm not sure the ECB have a leg to stand on

Jul 20, 2003
Daily Mail first to report on the tweets.

.... what a strange publication that is.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
New Zealand are the World No.2 Test team so no great surprise they are doing so well.

181-3, a Ton for Conway, well played Sir...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Daily Mail first to report on the tweets.

.... what a strange publication that is.

Thankfully It's the Daily Mail. So I won't see it.

I have more 'news' publication on my banned list that HWT has members in here.

Jul 20, 2003
Thankfully It's the Daily Mail. So I won't see it.

I have more 'news' publication on my banned list that HWT has members in here.

I didn't read it, the headline came up on some news gathering service. ... although I was very tempted to have a look at The Mail Online earlier in the day for the comments regarding Tim Martin wanting low paid workers from the EU to easily come over and work at Wetherspoons.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What a shame that stupid/immature tweets from 9 years ago have overshadowed what should have been one of his proudest days as a cricketer. He’ll be punished and will apologise and hopefully that’ll be that.

Social media is a difficult thing to navigate for young (and old) people, ill thought out posts can have a devastating effect on both the victims and authors. I’d be happy to see the whole lot binned off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Pity his big day was overshadowed, sadly you can't " Unsay " things in the modern day and age, mistakes hang off people for life now.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison.

"Any person reading those words, particularly a woman or person of colour, would take away an image of cricket and cricketers that is completely unacceptable. We are better than this."

My View:

Anyone with an ounce rational cognisance will know that this does not reflect the image of a sport that is keen to be inclusive and anti-discriminatory. They will also know that these are the words of an immature teenager who now knows better.

I like modern society and its desire to eliminate discrimination in all forms. What I don't like is the absolutist culture which is more to do with a scramble to the top of the righteous Premier League than actual indignation.

A while ago I started using my black man in a BMW convertible test. I was talking to a good friend who is very strong on anti-discrimination (nowt wrong with that). I asked them whether or not hey had ever seen a black man driving a really expensive car and wondered where they had got their money from. They were a bit pensive but, to their credit, quietly said 'yes'.

My goal wasn't to tear down their zealous quest, but to merely point out the message of the parable that says to remove the plank in your own eye before removing the speck in someone else's. That is how we make real progress in making a better society.

Ollie Robinson did something wrong and unacceptable. He was young and immature. He has apologised and no longer does such things. He knows it's wrong.

Anything else is just people trying to gain righteous capital as a distraction from their own sins.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison.

"Any person reading those words, particularly a woman or person of colour, would take away an image of cricket and cricketers that is completely unacceptable. We are better than this."

My View:

Anyone with an ounce rational cognisance will know that this does not reflect the image of a sport that is keen to be inclusive and anti-discriminatory. They will also know that these are the words of an immature teenager who now knows better.

I like modern society and its desire to eliminate discrimination in all forms. What I don't like is the absolutist culture which is more to do with a scramble to the top of the righteous Premier League than actual indignation.

A while ago I started using my black man in a BMW convertible test. I was talking to a good friend who is very strong on anti-discrimination (nowt wrong with that). I asked them whether or not hey had ever seen a black man driving a really expensive car and wondered where they had got their money from. They were a bit pensive but, to their credit, quietly said 'yes'.

My goal wasn't to tear down their zealous quest, but to merely point out the message of the parable that says to remove the plank in your own eye before removing the speck in someone else's. That is how we make real progress in making a better society.

Ollie Robinson did something wrong and unacceptable. He was young and immature. He has apologised and no longer does such things. He knows it's wrong.

Anything else is just people trying to gain righteous capital as a distraction from their own sins.

All black blokes in BMWs are drug dealers, anyone kno that ...

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
The way this sort of thing is covered is ridiculous.

There is a genuinely good story here, about somebody who was immature and on the verge of crashing out of the professional game, who has turned that around and matured as a cricketer and a person.

All the headlines say is: "Robinson apologises for racist and sexist tweets".

That sort of discourse doesn't get anybody anywhere. You don't persuade people that racist or sexist opinions are wrong by presenting it as an original sin that hangs over people for the rest of their lives.

I had to stop watching after tea, but for the part of the day I saw I thought he bowled very well.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The way this sort of thing is covered is ridiculous.

There is a genuinely good story here, about somebody who was immature and on the verge of crashing out of the professional game, who has turned that around and matured as a cricketer and a person.

All the headlines say is: "Robinson apologises for racist and sexist tweets".

That sort of discourse doesn't get anybody anywhere. You don't persuade people that racist or sexist opinions are wrong by presenting it as an original sin that hangs over people for the rest of their lives.

I had to stop watching after tea, but for the part of the day I saw I thought he bowled very well.

With that educated and thoughtful comment you are deducted two righteous points. No 'likes' for you.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The ECB could, and should, have known about and acted on this some time ago. The fact they haven’t is a complete failure of duty of care.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sad to see these racist tweets from Robinson's past emerging, think this could be his last England game for quite a while.

You mean stuff that no-one on here had a clue about until you raked it up and labelled it? Sigh ................ you'd better sign me up for a pitchfork.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You mean stuff that no-one on here had a clue about until you raked it up and labelled it? Sigh ................ you'd better sign me up for a pitchfork.

Well it's either on the front or back page of every national newspaper, don't shoot the messenger. On the good dude at least Ollie has apologised and agreed he needs further education for these deeply unpleasent racist and sexist tweets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here