Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v hungary

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hungary fans were banned from travelling as their vaccines are not recognised by us - so chances are most of the fans were UK based...

This was mentioned as fact during the commentary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t watch all our games and I admit to not being much of a Southgate fan, but he has got us a long way in the last two tournaments, which can’t be knocked.

However I have a question for those that rate him. When was the last time he changed things around or brought on a sub that proved to be inspired, i.e helped us avoid defeat or pull an unlikely win out of the bag in a meaningful match? I can only think of occasions where he has basically done **** all or made the wrong decision on subs or gone all negative and we have either lost or drawn because of it or were already winning :shrug:

And yes I do expect to beat minnows like Andorra and similar. I don’t consider Hungary or Poland as minnows though so no we don’t have a divine right to beat them.

I'm not a Southgate fan. I'll admit why. Unconscious bias. He does not look like someone I'd want to go down the pub with. He's a dweeb. So this brings out the bully in me.

Therefore when we win and win and win and get to the semi or the final of a competition, I sit back and marvel at the footballing talents available to us. A platinum generation. Who could fail to succeed with that lot?

And if we fall short my immediate thought is this is an example of the dweeb's total inability to seize the moment, make a substitution that nobody saw but him, and snatch victory from the jaws of, er, a draw.

I have faced this and admitted it. The reality is this is the best England over the most sustained period, ever, and the manager (as well as the talent available) must get credit for that - the infrastructure he has created, the ambience, the squad selections, the team on the day and the tactics.

You can't win them all.

I suspect those who are unaware of their tendency to mock the peculiar and bully people who don't map to their stereotype of what a man should be will nevertheless continue to call for Southgate's head every time England fail to win. He's not a jack he lad like Venables or, dare I say it, Sven the Shagger, so there is nothing for a man to secretly admire. :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not a Southgate fan. I'll admit why. Unconscious bias. He does not look like someone I'd want to go down the pub with. He's a dweeb. So this brings out the bully in me.

Therefore when we win and win and win and get to the semi or the final of a competition, I sit back and marvel at the footballing talents available to us. A platinum generation. Who could fail to succeed with that lot?

And if we fall short my immediate thought is this is an example of the dweeb's total inability to seize the moment, make a substitution that nobody saw but him, and snatch victory from the jaws of, er, a draw.

I have faced this and admitted it. The reality is this is the best England over the most sustained period, ever, and the manager (as well as the talent available) must get credit for that - the infrastructure he has created, the ambience, the squad selections, the team on the day and the tactics.

You can't win them all.

I suspect those who are unaware of their tendency to mock the peculiar and bully people who don't map to their stereotype of what a man should be will nevertheless continue to call for Southgate's head every time England fail to win. He's not a jack he lad like Venables or, dare I say it, Sven the Shagger, so there is nothing for a man to secretly admire. :shrug:

Let’s be clear here, I am not mocking him, he has not done a bad job, I just don’t feel any confidence in him when the chips are down. Maybe we don’t have the players, in fairness, to win anything regardless of the manager, so many disappointments in crucial games for fecking DECADES! :shrug:

Not picking Dunky whilst persevering with Mings does piss me off though

Jan 30, 2008

You can't win them all.

No mention of white privilege H ?
Regards
DF

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm a Southgate fan. He's done what all English managers in my lifetime have failed to do, and that's to have an England squad who play as well, if not better, for England than they do for their respective club sides with a synergy with their team mates and no apparent club-based cliques going on. That's worth more than any tactical superiority world-class coaches like Ericsson of Capello might have.

Can't argue with his record of a semi-final and runners up in his first 2 major tournaments, which knocks every other England manager since Ramsey out of the park.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How Potter is still in charge after the Everton game is beyond me. It's like TB doesn't listen to the grass roots fans :wink:

Regarding my comments about bullying, the threshold is much lower for the phenotype to emerge in Brighton supporters when thinking about Southgate, but it is evident (in a smaller number of supporters) with Potter too. Even I have mocked his EL Wisty-like demeanour on occasion.

When I was younger my PhD supervisor accused me of lacking introspection. We all do. It is worth thinking about this when the temptation is to lash out in frustration.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Given that he's been inserting his thumb up the bottom of another petulant fool who decided to have a go at me, I have read his posts on this thread today. What a massive cry baby he is. Oh well. And . . . back on ignore.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Regarding my comments about bullying, the threshold is much lower for the phenotype to emerge in Brighton supporters when thinking about Southgate, but it is evident (in a smaller number of supporters) with Potter too. Even I have mocked his EL Wisty-like demeanour on occasion.

When I was younger my PhD supervisor accused me of lacking introspection. We all do. It is worth thinking about this when the temptation is to lash out in frustration.

The change in GP’s appearance over the last year is pretty impressive. Looks cool as hell to me these days, having looked a complete Dork for the previous year and a half. Not that this has anything to do with his talents as a manager, Brighton has brought out the cool dude in him, we deserve nothing less in an Albion manager :lolol:

The height of cool remains Oscar and Gus though

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The issue is the same mistakes against Croatia showed up against Italy

He sat on his hands and the other manager tweaked it and took control of the game, England were very good for the first 30 minutes in both those games and then dropped deeper and deeper.

Will he learn from those two games?

I totally agree about Italy, totally outclassed and out thought in the 2nd half, but at least we made it to the final which hopefully bodes well for the world cup

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let’s be clear here, I am not mocking him, he has not done a bad job, I just don’t feel any confidence in him when the chips are down. Maybe we don’t have the players, in fairness, to win anything regardless of the manager, so many disappointments in crucial games for fecking DECADES! :shrug:

Not picking Dunky whilst persevering with Mings does piss me off though

:lolol:

I was not thinking of you when I made my comments :thumbsup:

(FWIW I have and probably will mock him again, but I will try to do so quietly, and not let it spoil my enjoyment of watching England, if that makes sense).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm a Southgate fan. He's done what all English managers in my lifetime have failed to do, and that's to have an England squad who play as well, if not better, for England than they do for their respective club sides with a synergy with their team mates and no apparent club-based cliques going on. That's worth more than any tactical superiority world-class coaches like Ericsson of Capello might have.

Can't argue with his record of a semi-final and runners up in his first 2 major tournaments, which knocks every other England manager since Ramsey out of the park.

I can only guess you weren't watching under Bobby Robson or Terry Venables. 2 great man managers.

Southgate is just an a VW GOlf diesel , uninspiring but does a job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The change in GP’s appearance over the last year is pretty impressive. Looks cool as hell to me these days, having looked a complete Dork for the previous year and a half. Not that this has anything to do with his talents as a manager, Brighton has brought out the cool dude in him, we deserve nothing less in an Albion manager :lolol:

The height of cool remains Oscar and Gus though

GP may look good, but as soon as he opens his mouth, that nasal west midlands whine has me reaching for my revolver. It's pure unadulterated prejudice against the most reviled (as untrustworthy) accent in the UK. Apparently. :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can only guess you weren't watching under Bobby Robson or Terry Venables. 2 great man managers.

Genuine :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
GP may look good, but as soon as he opens his mouth, that nasal west midlands whine has me reaching for my revolver. It's pure unadulterated prejudice against the most reviled (as untrustworthy) accent in the UK. Apparently. :rolleyes:

The quizzical squinty eyes and look of complete disdain at most questions more than makes up for it

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I'm old enough to remember everything from 86 onwards, but oddly forgot about Venables. He was a good man manager and did will to keep the England team interested prior to Euro 96 despite not having a competitive game for the best part of 3 years. His record of reaching the semi-final in his only tournament still doesn't match up to Southgate's though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here