Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Germany 5pm . On the front foot from the start .

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Have you not seen [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION] posts on the Albion, negative is his middle name!

what? do you mean under hughts?

bit miffed about your comment , as i was a potter fanboy as soon as bloomy signed him?

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I honestly have no idea what your frame of reference is for England’s previous success at tournaments!!??

Are you expecting we suddenly smash proven tournament performers like the Czechs, Germans or Croats - not satisfied with merely beating all 3 and not conceding a goal yet…crikey people get a grip, this is England, either your expectations are wildly out or your sense of perspective.

trying to not get excited so that i don't get to upset. it's only a game :)

was baffled in 78 :blush:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Let’s get ****ing sheebo’d let’s get ****ing sheebo’d la la la la, la la la la.

Come on seriously anyone still moaning might as well not bother watching any more England games this tournament.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A very cool, impressive, professional victory over the Germans.

Yes we had a couple of moments, and yes it’d be nice to win every game 3-0, but on the whole nowhere near our best, swatted aside another team with ease and still yet to concede.

Also interesting that yet again we beat a team, and we’re told “oh they’re a poor side”, “blah blah they should have scored, weren’t at their best”. Just as when we beat Croatia. Every time. Have people forgotten we’ve been knocked out by Iceland before?

Well done to Southgate and the boys and roll on Saturday.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm just catching up on the game having been otherwise engaged earlier. I get that we haven't beaten Germany that often, but the BBC post-match coverage seems a bit OTT, to me. They seem to be interviewing each player individually, and discussing it as if this is the greatest achievement ever in football, as if they've just won the euros themselves. Reminds me of Hasenhuttl crying over beating Liverpool 1-0 only to follow it up with a bad run of league form.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was that Mendoza just babbling away on the BBC News?

Yep. Top media whoring by the lad :thumbsup:

What an evening. Due to the rain and Covid restrictions a small (i.e. me, the boy and my mate and his son) but noisy group gathered in a Hove front room and ate burgers (indoors, cooked on the cooker) and sat, initially nervously but then joyously, through a game that will live with me forever.

A slow start by England on the contrary to this thread title but we really did grow into the game. Safety First Southgate seems to be mastering the clean sheet although I've no idea how Mueller missed the one on one. You have to give credit to players, fans and coach, ultimately. Now on to a tired and injury ravaged Ukraine. Will we handle an "away" game?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have you not seen [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION] posts on the Albion, negative is his middle name!

Bit harsh dark wolf - I don’t always agree with [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION] but he is normally constructive.

I didn’t think we were that great either, particularly in the second half. It improved when Grealish came on IMO.

Think the Germans had worked Saka out (I.e. don’t mark him tightly, as he’ll roll you and break away).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
All a matter of opinion but it came down to finishing/saving. I don't think our first half chances were dangerous . Pickford's saves and Mullers miss were key.

i think if muller had scored from sterling defence splitting through ball then the latter would have been stretchered off in tears and the game takes a whole new direction 4 or 5 shocks in the round of 16 proving that , like the prem. on any given day anyone can roll anyone if they are up for it.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm just catching up on the game having been otherwise engaged earlier. I get that we haven't beaten Germany that often, but the BBC post-match coverage seems a bit OTT, to me. They seem to be interviewing each player individually, and discussing it as if this is the greatest achievement ever in football, as if they've just won the euros themselves. Reminds me of Hasenhuttl crying over beating Liverpool 1-0 only to follow it up with a bad run of league form.

BBC Sports Editor, Dan Roan, described it as the most important result this century (or something to that effect). The hyperbole is in over-drive. Whereas what happened was that one country beat another country in a last 16 Euros game, both countries being fairly evenly matched in footballing terms. The context over the past half-decade might explain the hyperbole.
I'd offer that, if England win the semi-final, that would justify some hype. Note that achieving that requires winning the quarter-final in the first place.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
BBC Sports Editor, Dan Roan, described it as the most important result this century (or something to that effect). The hyperbole is in over-drive. Whereas what happened was that one country beat another country in a last 16 Euros game, both countries being fairly evenly matched in footballing terms. The context over the past half-decade might explain the hyperbole.
I'd offer that, if England win the semi-final, that would justify some hype. Note that achieving that requires winning the quarter-final in the first place.

quarter finals is our natural level so we've probably reached peak doolaley already from the press and pundits.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Very well put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

have ignored BBC since the CE incident , the repetitive outpouring of emotive bollox just turns my stomach.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Come on guys, we beat Germany! GERMANY!

I dunno, maybe it's my age (64) but I remember every single one of those knockout defeats (the worst probably being 1970). I'm absolutely buzzing today, and if anything I think the reaction has been a bit under-stated!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Tough crowd.

“We haven’t beaten Germany that often”? We haven’t beaten them in knockout since 1966. Give a little credit, the pundits are England fans and they’re entitled to enjoy the moment. As many of us did.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was Stones limping towards the end? Looked like he was struggling for much of the second half. Or is that wishful thinking on my part?
I doubt anyone has been ever described the imminent arrival of Tyrone Mings as:-

"Wishful thinking"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here