Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Germany 5pm . On the front foot from the start .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The game pivoted on a couple of moments 2 saves from Pickford and a German miss. We take 2 of our 3 chances , like the PL it's all about small margins at this level.

Hmmm.

England had 2 excellent first half chances and one decent chance.
Germany just the one.
England then scored 2 second half goals.
While Germany had 2 excellent chances.

I don't think the margins were that small.
Certainly not small considering England had a very definite game plan and despite all the noise against it, the game plan worked brilliantly.

Regarding Mueller's miss, yes it was out of character but so was the fact he didn't have a few 'sighters' first and knew that would be his once chance of the game.
He had a lot more pressure to deal with, than he was probably expecting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We look similar to the Italians of the 80s/90s - not convincing when going forward, take chances when they come, but very rarely concede chances and look pretty solid.

Not great for entertainment but effective in tournament football…

France 2008, Greece 2004. Squeezed past opponents in games who couldn’t breach their defence.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
France 2008, Greece 2004. Squeezed past opponents in games who couldn’t breach their defence.

Portugal drew all 3 group games in 2016, needed ET and a single goal to beat Croatia, pens to get passed Poland, then had Wales and an ET goal to win it against France. Think they kept 3 clean sheets in their 4 knockout games.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The game pivoted on a couple of moments 2 saves from Pickford and a German miss. We take 2 of our 3 chances , like the PL it's all about small margins at this level.

But it wasn’t as cut and dry as Germany missed their chances or had them saved, and we took ours. I clearly recall a flying save from Neuer in the first half and the Kane miss on half-time, so yes, fine margins, but not all one way!

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Dull ,boring ,but still to good for Germany . A nation of Football genius ,i'm so choked we've beaten them . Got bollocked for jumping around the front room ,my German neighbour smiled as they do . IF and a big If we win this tournament i don't care how boring it is . Look at Portugal last time out boring as ,but still raved over but like every other team in the group of death out and out early.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you not seen [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION] posts on the Albion, negative is his middle name!

But then he'll be only half wrong. :lol:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What part of:-

Played 4
Won 3
Drew 1
Lost 0
G/F 4
G/A 0

Do you have an issue with?

It's a very good point, ultimately the only one that matters.

However, we could end tournament with:

Lost 0

And I could potentially still be a bit 'meh' :shrug:

I guess that's my issue though!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
the performances, a bit......................unconvicing

I honestly have no idea what your frame of reference is for England’s previous success at tournaments!!??

Are you expecting we suddenly smash proven tournament performers like the Czechs, Germans or Croats - not satisfied with merely beating all 3 and not conceding a goal yet…crikey people get a grip, this is England, either your expectations are wildly out or your sense of perspective.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Laboured performance. Bored the Germans into submission until Grealish brought the game to life.

Thank god Southgate didn't need a plan B and Muller is past it. If we keep playing this brand of boring unadventurous football under Southgate I wouldn't be surprised if we get to the final here. :banana:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a very good point, ultimately the only one that matters.

However, we could end tournament with:

Lost 0

And I could potentially still be a bit 'meh' :shrug:

I guess that's my issue though!

The point I've been making all day (amazingly post #123 at 16:17 tells you exactly what would happen today and who would score) is if England played in a fashion that would banish your 'meh' England wouldn't end the tournament 'lost 0'.

It's really is that simple - England aren't the team you think they are.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
So the QF is in Rome, yes?

Does anyone know how to get tickets?

Given that I arrived in Italy this afternoon it would be good to go.

You know you have to quarantine for 5 days then? Tuesday to Saturday, so rules you out anyway.
As an aside , I do have 4 tickets bought in official ballot that I can’t use - if anyone knows how to sell legally let me know - QF tickets and a Covid year. unreal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here