Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Germany 5pm . On the front foot from the start .

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Maybe we should have opened up and really attacked them. Because that worked out really well for Portugal last week.

Exactly this.
I don't think Germany have been that impressive this tournament.
There biggest threat is Thier two wingers getting in behind the opposition defence and firing in a cross or appearing at the back post.
Portugal focused too much on attack and left the German wingers in too much space and it cost them.
Southgate had it spot on today to keep the German wingers out of contention and by doing that the Germans had nothing.
I'm actually becoming quite impressed by southgate.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The point I've been making all day (amazingly post #123 at 16:17 tells you exactly what would happen today and who would score) is if England played in a fashion that would banish your 'meh' England wouldn't end the tournament 'lost 0'.

It's really is that simple - England aren't the team you think they are.

Yes, I think you're right.

We have to play to our strengths and that isn't necessarily that entertaining on a minute by minute basis, but may prove fruitful over the course of the tournament.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have you not seen [MENTION=28856]rogersix[/MENTION] posts on the Albion, negative is his middle name!

Really? I’ve always thought he was quite positive :shrug:

Not disagreeing with you but I don’t have him as negative fan in my mind. I could be wrong, often am :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, I think you're right.

We have to play to our strengths and that isn't necessarily that entertaining on a minute by minute basis, but may prove fruitful over the course of the tournament.

Instead of wallowing in my rightness, I really ought to note the flip side.

England are playing in a fashion to beat the likes of Germany, France, Netherlands etc... ...oh.

They aren't playing in a style that would dominate big, well drilled, defensively minded teams like Sweden, Ukraine, Switzerland, Czech etc.

Losing to 'little teams' while leaving big hitters on the bench would be horrendous.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I guess it depends on what you mean “by get the most” out of his players.

We are in the last 8 of a major tournament, and I think I’m right in saying the only team not to concede a goal (so far), we have won 3 of our 4 games and have a realistic chance of winning the whole thing!

If we did, by playing the way we currently are, would you still say - could have got more out of his players?

IF!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But it wasn’t as cut and dry as Germany missed their chances or had them saved, and we took ours. I clearly recall a flying save from Neuer in the first half and the Kane miss on half-time, so yes, fine margins, but not all one way!

I think the save from Sterling looked more dramatic than it was equally the miss from Kane was not a miss as he got nowhere near it. It's all about taking chances , we did and they didn't

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Rode our luck a bit but we were due some, its been a long time coming. Wembley give us that bit extra we needed

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Then football probably isn't for you.

i've been desperately trying not to get excited about this one,(for the first time in my lengthening lfe), until the semis; and then,

ZE GERMANS crop up; and now i'm unwillingly all in.

football

eh?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
You know you have to quarantine for 5 days then? Tuesday to Saturday, so rules you out anyway.
As an aside , I do have 4 tickets bought in official ballot that I can’t use - if anyone knows how to sell legally let me know - QF tickets and a Covid year. unreal

I've come from Dubai, so no quarantine. Have just DM'd you!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Hmmm.

England had 2 excellent first half chances and one decent chance.
Germany just the one.
England then scored 2 second half goals.
While Germany had 2 excellent chances.

I don't think the margins were that small.
Certainly not small considering England had a very definite game plan and despite all the noise against it, the game plan worked brilliantly.

Regarding Mueller's miss, yes it was out of character but so was the fact he didn't have a few 'sighters' first and knew that would be his once chance of the game.
He had a lot more pressure to deal with, than he was probably expecting.

All a matter of opinion but it came down to finishing/saving. I don't think our first half chances were dangerous . Pickford's saves and Mullers miss were key.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Beating Germany in the knockout stages of a major tournament is unchartered territory for me so I find myself unsure of the correct ettiquette.

Namely, do we go out and vandalise VWs / Audis/ BMWs / Mercs - or not? :shrug:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
German car owners can sleep easily tonight.

No keying from the local numbnuts.

If Sweden win tonight then knock us out on Saturday there are a few Volvos I've got my eye on that can expect a damn good thrashing. The only problem is one of them is mine, but I know my duty :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here