Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Finland official match thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pleased/relieved that Southgate went. Creatively, Carsley, what a change! Brilliant strikes from Kane.

But, at the end of a long season, it looked to me like Kane and Bellingham were completely spent at the Euros. Tonight and against Ireland imho we’re seeing fresh legs and no nagging injuries.

Roy Hodgson said the same. He said he'd have given the players a break before the Euros.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trent is so overrated, so many terrible passes he wouldn't get in the Albions team.
There was me thinking you were Mouldy Boots and all the time you’re actually Stevie Wonder.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yes, a bit dull at times but not Southgate Dull and a team with a formation and a method. We always looked like we could score, not always the case under Southgate.

Yes, Carsley seems a bit light on charisma and bullishness but so what, it's coaching and tactics I want. Givit him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes, a bit dull at times but not Southgate Dull and a team with a formation and a method. We always looked like we could score, not always the case under Southgate.

Yes, Carsley seems a bit light on charisma and bullishness but so what, it's coaching and tactics I want. Givit him.
An attacking, expressive tracksuit coach over an increasingly safe three piece suit coach?

Absolutely.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Er, so who are top of this Mickley Mouse group still?

It's not fùcking England that's for sure! :facepalm:

Absolute shite. Put a 90 minute intensity performance in like the Greeks. Otherwise, fùck off, Carsley.
These games a little more than training matches so I wouldn’t worry too much about position in the table…that’s not really the point.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
An attacking, expressive tracksuit coach over an increasingly safe three piece suit coach?

Absolutely.
Just got back from Wembley. And yes, I had a fantastic time which was somewhat helped by being behind the goal where Kane scored both.

1st half it was a bit quiet despite England dominating, but over 70,000 for a midweek Tier 2 Nations League game with the kids back at school isn't bad.

Kane continues to show why he's world class. We've had dozens of great players that never made it to 100 caps. A real privilege to be there for that.

The youngsters are being given their debuts and opportunities. Alexander-Arnold's creativity and passing is finally being used effectively.

Doubters might question the quality of the Irish and Finnish opposition, but 3 months ago we saw England 0 Iceland 1 and England 0 Slovenia 0.

Ireland - 76.4% possession, 16 shots with 9 on target.
Finland - 78.5% possession, 22 shots with 8 on target.

We're not the finished article, but we're better than we were 3 months ago.

And we're much more enjoyable to watch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Er, so who are top of this Mickley Mouse group still?

It's not fùcking England that's for sure! :facepalm:

Absolute shite. Put a 90 minute intensity performance in like the Greeks. Otherwise, fùck off, Carsley.
You’re actually upset about the anthem singing, aren’t you?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
P2 W2 F4 A0

Rubbish opposition to be sure, but those are often the hardest to break down.

Certainly didn’t see anything Mr “Brighton 1 Palace 2, but we won on XG” could add.

Good job interview.
Quite liked how he brought in new players for the second game
These games a little more than training matches so I wouldn’t worry too much about position in the table…that’s not really the point.
For this set of Nations league, the table is important for our seeding for world cup qualifying, plus a second chance in the play offs if we fail to win the qualifying group/come second

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Quite liked how he brought in new players for the second game

For this set of Nations league, the table is important for our seeding for world cup qualifying, plus a second chance in the play offs if we fail to win the qualifying group/come second
It does make the selection of the next permanent Head Coach interesting.

Carsley has made us more possession based and less safety first than Southgate and has brought in some youngsters and given them a chance. There was a nice directness to the one touch passing at times but also still too much slowing things down with horizontal five yard passes and going back to the centre backs. Sometimes Finland forced that but at others they didn't. We scored some very nice goals but we also missed some good chances.

I don't see anything in that assessment that Potter wouldn't do too. They would be very similar. Is possession of the job (and the Team England background) now making Carsley favourite?

(Anyone saying Smeddie is living in cloud cuckoo land BTW. Unless PIF sack him in the next month - unlikely given they're also on 7points - he would never leave a very well paid job at a big club like Newcastle).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
we're much more enjoyable to watch.
Not so sure about that, I got bored and started the ironing instead.
I will remain on the fence however and give him a couple more games, we should be beating the last two teams with ease.
There was a lot of huffing and puffing going on last night and could have been quite easily been punished for a couple of quick breaks.

Not that impressed to be honest so far.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Not so sure about that, I got bored and started the ironing instead.
I will remain on the fence however and give him a couple more games, we should be beating the last two teams with ease.
There was a lot of huffing and puffing going on last night and could have been quite easily been punished for a couple of quick breaks.

Not that impressed to be honest so far. :)
No problem with that. Football's always been a game of opinions and isn't likely to change any time soon. And ironing has to be done. :)

Yes, the first half breaks by Finland were dangerous, especially the shot curled round the post. That was just in front of me, so there were a few concerned faces and the odd audible sharp intake of breath heard around me.

Nevertheless, this is the way that Carsley wants England to play. Positive, on the front front, committing players forward and seeking to score more than one goal before any game management is considered. The risk of being caught in possession and quick opposition breaks will inevitably come about with that intent. To be fair, that was the only option Finland had last night as England swamped them with almost 80% possession. I'll happily take that risk if the style of play is as markedly different than before and results in chances, shots and goals.

I think we did beat the last 2 teams with ease. We both dominated possession and won by a comfortable margin in both. As I've mentioned previously, that wasn't what was happening 3 months ago. In fact, in the 11 games played in 2024 prior to Carsley taking over, England only won by more than a single goal just once. Carsley's done it twice in 2 games.

The players are still getting used to each other and the style of play, and the youngsters are getting bloodied.

Plenty more to come when the likes of Bellingham and Palmer return.

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It does make the selection of the next permanent Head Coach interesting.

Carsley has made us more possession based and less safety first than Southgate and has brought in some youngsters and given them a chance. There was a nice directness to the one touch passing at times but also still too much slowing things down with horizontal five yard passes and going back to the centre backs. Sometimes Finland forced that but at others they didn't. We scored some very nice goals but we also missed some good chances.

I don't see anything in that assessment that Potter wouldn't do too. They would be very similar. Is possession of the job (and the Team England background) now making Carsley favourite?

(Anyone saying Smeddie is living in cloud cuckoo land BTW. Unless PIF sack him in the next month - unlikely given they're also on 7points - he would never leave a very well paid job at a big club like Newcastle).
I feel its a matter of how the FA want to go about it... do they want to start fresh or start from where "where they are"?

Lee Carsley surely know the dynamics and most of the players. This could well mean that the "leaders of the group" remain the same, Ben White sees little reason to return etc... "business as usual", but perhaps with some fresh ideas to it - its really difficult to judge from two games with very poor opposition.

Its not like England has been terrible over the last few years so I could see the point in "keep going".

Potter would almost certainly bring more new stuff (tactics, ideas, players) and you'd also imagine White would strongly consider playing under him given they must know each other reasonably well. No international career as a player or manager would be a potential weakness however. Not even Potter himself can be sure that his ideas works out in a very different environment.

Carsley is the safe option, Potter likely more in the "it works supergood or doesn't work at all"-category.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I feel its a matter of how the FA want to go about it... do they want to start fresh or start from where "where they are"?

Lee Carsley surely know the dynamics and most of the players. This could well mean that the "leaders of the group" remain the same, Ben White sees little reason to return etc... "business as usual", but perhaps with some fresh ideas to it - its really difficult to judge from two games with very poor opposition.

Its not like England has been terrible over the last few years so I could see the point in "keep going".

Potter would almost certainly bring more new stuff (tactics, ideas, players) and you'd also imagine White would strongly consider playing under him given they must know each other reasonably well. No international career as a player or manager would be a potential weakness however. Not even Potter himself can be sure that his ideas works out in a very different environment.

Carsley is the safe option, Potter likely more in the "it works supergood or doesn't work at all"-category.
Hmmm

imagine Potters name cropping up, as if by magic for the England job, when no one has mentioned his name for a while....

top work, keeping him relevant agent Swansman :ROFLMAO:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Hmmm

imagine Potters name cropping up, as if by magic for the England job, when no one has mentioned his name for a while....

top work, keeping him relevant agent Swansman :ROFLMAO:
People are absolutely deluded if they don't think Graham Potter is a very strong candidate to be the next England manager.
Regardless if they like him or not.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
People are absolutely deluded if they don't think Graham Potter is a very strong candidate to be the next England manager.
Regardless if they like him or not.
Sadly I think you have a point, as much as I now cannot stand the man, his mannerism's, his face, his dull monotone voice annoy the feck out of me now.....

My issue and I don't think I will get over it, and I don't want to either to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here