Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Team to Play Spain

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
Terry too often looks like he will be done players with a bit of pace.

Ronaldinho springs to mind.

People slate Rio, and he probably isn't as consistent as Terry, but there is no doubt in my mind that at the top level Rio is a better player.

I think a lot of the love-in with Terry is because he looks like a typical English centre back, as opposed to Rio who is a flash rudeboy.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
Ronaldinho springs to mind.

People slate Rio, and he probably isn't as consistent as Terry, but there is no doubt in my mind that at the top level Rio is a better player.

I think a lot of the love-in with Terry is because he looks like a typical English centre back, as opposed to Rio who is a flash rudeboy.

Ferdinand is a class player, but his lapses in concentration have stopped him being a world class player.

I remember about 15 years ago it was said that English centre backs needed to be better footballers and be able to play the ball into midfield rather than lump it up the pitch. We finally have some players that can do this in Ferdinand, Woodgate and to extent King and Carragher and yet the darling of the media is John Terry, a very traditional British centre back who is likely to lump the ball forward.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
Ferdinand is a class player, but his lapses in concentration have stopped him being a world class player.

I remember about 15 years ago it was said that English centre backs needed to be better footballers and be able to play the ball into midfield rather than lump it up the pitch. We finally have some players that can do this in Ferdinand, Woodgate and to extent King and Carragher and yet the darling of the media is John Terry, a very traditional British centre back who is likely to lump the ball forward.

I agree with that about Ferdinand, although to be fair his lapses are often against the smaller teams, he rarely looks uncomfortable at the highest level, but I agree that it has hindered him.

I dont think Terry is too bad on the ball, but he is a bit of a hoofer.Would have said he is better on the ball than Carragher, but maybe thats me. King is certainly more comfortable on the ball.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
I agree with that about Ferdinand, although to be fair his lapses are often against the smaller teams, he rarely looks uncomfortable at the highest level, but I agree that it has hindered him.

I dont think Terry is too bad on the ball, but he is a bit of a hoofer.Would have said he is better on the ball than Carragher, but maybe thats me. King is certainly more comfortable on the ball.

I think Carragher is pretty decent on the ball, but then he did start more as a midfielder at Liverpool.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
what is everyones first 11 when everyone is fully fit...

Robinson

Cole
King
Ferdinand
Neville

Cole
Hargreaves
Gerrard
Lennon

Rooney

???

We really do lack a decent centre-forward in this country. Maybe Ashton, when fit.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
I think Carragher is pretty decent on the ball, but then he did start more as a midfielder at Liverpool.

You could be right, maybe I'm judging him compared to other full backs rather than centre backs.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Dave the Gaffer said:
how the f*** does Neville get back in the team?

What about Defoe, Harewood, Zamora, Lennon, Bent, Andy Booth?

This is getting a JOKE

MCLAREN - f*** OFF NOW

thank god you are not the Manager!

Zamora? r u sure?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here