Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"England needs him more than he needs England," stated Grant [of John Terry]

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Glad to see people aren't judging his playing ability on his behaviour outside the game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The squad generally has more depth than it used to, just not in the striking department. There isn't really one midfielder or defender that worries you if they miss a match.

The thing about the Premiership is that the players get the GLOBAL exposure that they could only previously get by playing in a World Cup. I don't think Ryan Gigg's career has suffered unduly.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Glad to see people aren't judging his playing ability on his behaviour outside the game.

When England play they are representing our proud nation, so yes, I do expect a certain level of decorum off the pitch.

I don't care how good Wayne Rooney is, the boy is a f***ing thug and I don't like him. You may well laugh at me for suggesting I'd rather not see him in the team, but what exactly has he done when he has been included? We're still not going to the Euro's. This whole debacle of failing to qualify wouldn't be half so embarrassing were we fielding a team full of respected professionals who simply weren't up to the job but at least played their socks off trying, as opposed to the overpaid primadonnas capable of taking their clubs to the Champions League quarter finals who've let the entire country down not just on the pitch but off it too with their loutish behaviour, gambling habits and undeservedly bulging wallets.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You wonder how England would do if the louts and wankers were axed. A thinking man's XI:

1. Foster
2. Richards
3. Barry
4. King
5. Woodgate
6. Hargreaves
7. Lennon
8. Carrick
9. Owen
10.Heskey
11.Joe Cole.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not for one minute think that it is a foregone conclusion that Terry will be in the next England squad. I believe that Capello leans towards footballing central defenders as opposed to big stoppers with a big boot, which is what Terry is. Will be interesting to see if Jose takes him to Barcelona when he takes over as manager along with Fat Frank.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You wonder how England would do if the louts and wankers were axed. A thinking man's XI:

1. Foster
2. Richards
3. Barry
4. King
5. Woodgate
6. Hargreaves
7. Lennon
8. Carrick
9. Owen
10.Heskey
11.Joe Cole.

Havent Woodgate, Richards and Cole all had run ins with the old bill....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Not so, when do you ever see Terry do anything other than boot the ball 50 yards up the pitch or pass it to Ferdinand to pass it properly. NEVER.

Lots of times. I used to go and watch Chelsea a lot and even saw his debut. You are talking rubbish. Terry uses the ball sensibly, just because it isn't flash doesn't mean it isn't effective.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will yied to your better judgement if you have watched him so many times but I have never seen him play a pass other than to Ferdinand and I have always maintained that he is just a big stopper with very little football skill; just brute force and ignorance.

He is not a patch on Ferdinand, Woodgate, King, Campbell or even Onohura of Man City as a pure footballer.

I will accept that he is effective because he breaks up attacks it is the next bit he is not very good at.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004

1. Foster
2. Richards
3. Barry
4. King
5. Woodgate
6. Hargreaves
7. Lennon
8. Carrick
9. Owen
10.Heskey
11.Joe Cole.

I think that's a great team although I'm afraid Marshy is right. They're not entirely squeaky clean. However, I'd forgive Joe Cole anything as for me he's our most impressive player on his day.

Also, David James has no reason to be axed. Can't think of any misdemeanours on his part and what's more, he's a reasoned and intelligent chap from what I can make out. His Guardian column is well written and interesting (although admittedly I don't know whether he has any help) and what's more he donates the fee to charidee.

What a guy

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Also, David James has no reason to be axed. Can't think of any misdemeanours on his part and what's more, he's a reasoned and intelligent chap from what I can make out. His Guardian column is well written and interesting (although admittedly I don't know whether he has any help) and what's more he donates the fee to charidee.

What a guy

I am a huge fan of his column and he would certainly be the first name on my team sheet.

Interesting that he smoked 20 a day for 15 years. I would never have guessed that!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Must admit that really shocked me too. I guess goalkeepers aren't generally as fit as outfield players (theoretically) but I seem to recall Gianfranco Zola was a 40-a-day man in his prime, and he's not one to have been forgotten quickly.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
John Terry is good for putting his foot in...he's ok in the air. Other than that, he has no pace, no vision and can't pass.

England captain my arse...David james deserves that acolade

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Alot of bollocks being spouted about Terry on this thread. It's a fact the most people on NSC hate anyone who isn't whiter than white and will base their opinion accordingly, see threads about Allardyce, Keane, Fergie, Mourinho etc. In fact people even do it with our own players, show the slightest bit of arrogance and this lot will be on them like a pack of wolves.
Terry is easily the best defender, even though he isn't the best footballer.

EDIT

When England play they are representing our proud nation, so yes, I do expect a certain level of decorum off the pitch.

I don't care how good Wayne Rooney is, the boy is a f***ing thug and I don't like him. You may well laugh at me for suggesting I'd rather not see him in the team, but what exactly has he done when he has been included? We're still not going to the Euro's. This whole debacle of failing to qualify wouldn't be half so embarrassing were we fielding a team full of respected professionals who simply weren't up to the job but at least played their socks off trying, as opposed to the overpaid primadonnas capable of taking their clubs to the Champions League quarter finals who've let the entire country down not just on the pitch but off it too with their loutish behaviour, gambling habits and undeservedly bulging wallets.
A good example is on this thread. What has Rooney ever done to deserve that? As far as I can see he runs his socks off every time he pulls on an England shirt.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not so, when do you ever see Terry do anything other than boot the ball 50 yards up the pitch or pass it to Ferdinand to pass it properly. NEVER.

i think that speaks more of the recent englanf tactics than the ability of individual players. in their day job its on the ground, for England it hoof it up and hope it stays there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair Grant is right in that we probably would have got the result against Croatia had Terry been playing, the defending that day was awful

Was Terry playing in the other key games we lost/drew?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have to agree with you. If someone is representing the nation then they are representing the nation. The image which we brits have abroad is terrible...and rightly so. It doesnt help to have this compounded by a number of uneducated idiots playing a dated style of football in the totally misguided belief that they are better than everyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here