Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"England needs him more than he needs England," stated Grant [of John Terry]

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Terry is good but i'd have Ferdinand, Richards and Woodgate above him. Richards looks very good in the centre for City but poor for England at right-back

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
? He's the best defender who plays the blood and thunder English way......world football has moved on though.

spot on :thumbsup: he's not the cultured footballer some see him as. He's a brave but pretty average premier league centre back in a very good team. Carvalho is the quality one

barney

Jul 31, 2006
i agree. chelsea miss carvalho more then terry when he is out. and when he doesn't have makelele or essien infront of him they also look a lot more suspect at the back

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wouldn't say rubbish but certainly in the Ledley King/Sol Campbell school of being lucky he has loads of pace to get him out of trouble.

Much better RB.
I think that's harsh on King and Campbell to be honest, especially King who I think is an extremely composed defender.

The thing with Richards is that he seems to have been assumed to be a centreback just because of his size, but he doesn't even seem very commanding in the air in his own box, and positionally he's not great. I think it is a strange decision by Sven to play him there.

Anyway I still think Terry-Ferdinand is our bet pairing, we've been solid whenever they've been together. We have strength in depth at centreback (moreso than any other position imo), with Woodgate, King, Upson, Lescott, all good options, but personally I see no need to fiddle with the one area of the England side that has proven to actually work well.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
OK, quick hypothetical

Terry announces "I'm England captain, I have won trophies with my club, I've scores of caps to my name and should be playing [our next NON-COMPETITIVE fixture]"

Lescott announces "Oh my god I cannot tell you how HONOURED and PRIVILIGED I felt to first pull on the shirt of the Three Lions. To win another call up would be a dream come true and every time my name even gets mentioned in the same breath as the England national side I get so excited a tear sheds from my eye. I have never won anything major, but it is not through lack of trying. I would absolutely LOVE IT if I got another call for the next [NON-COMPETITIVE] international and would play my ARSE off given the opportunity"

Who do you pick?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
OK, quick hypothetical

Terry announces "I'm England captain, I have won trophies with my club, I've scores of caps to my name and should be playing [our next NON-COMPETITIVE fixture]"

Lescott announces "Oh my god I cannot tell you how HONOURED and PRIVILIGED I felt to first pull on the shirt of the Three Lions. To win another call up would be a dream come true and every time my name even gets mentioned in the same breath as the England national side I get so excited a tear sheds from my eye. I have never won anything major, but it is not through lack of trying. I would absolutely LOVE IT if I got another call for the next [NON-COMPETITIVE] international and would play my ARSE off given the opportunity"

Who do you pick?

Id like to think this is the sort of thing the new manager will crack down on, So could be a bad idea for Terry's manager saying how much England need him.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Only problem with Terry is he actually can;[t play football.

he is a fantastic stopper - and when you play Birmingham, or Blackburn etc that is a great quality to have.

Unfortunately once you move on to the world stage he is hopeless because people simply play round him.

Over-rated, over-paid - and a nasty thug does not endear him either.

Brainless and with stacks of cash - what a dangerous combination

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
OK, quick hypothetical

Who do you pick?
Ledley King for not mouthing off in the press.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
spot on :thumbsup: he's not the cultured footballer some see him as. He's a brave but pretty average premier league centre back in a very good team. Carvalho is the quality one

Totally agree.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I never claimed he was cultured, just uses the ball efficently. That doesn't mean he isn't quality.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nobody can deny that Terry is a quality centre back and worthy of a place in the England squad.

In terms of his importance to the team the big question is which players do we miss the most when they don't play. I'd say the pecking order is:

1. Rooney
2. Owen
3. Gerrard
4. Ferdinand, then
5. Terry.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Only problem with Terry is he actually can;[t play football.

he is a fantastic stopper - and when you play Birmingham, or Blackburn etc that is a great quality to have.

Unfortunately once you move on to the world stage he is hopeless because people simply play round him.

Over-rated, over-paid - and a nasty thug does not endear him either.

Brainless and with stacks of cash - what a dangerous combination
Italy won the World Cup with an unsophisticated stopper at the back, and one who is a much nastier and more of a thug than Terry. If you look at how many (or rather how few) goals England concede when they have Terry in the side it would seem to suggest he's not quite as easy to play against as you think, even if he's no Gary Caldwell.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nobody can deny that Terry is a quality centre back and worthy of a place in the England squad.

In terms of his importance to the team the big question is which players do we miss the most when they don't play. I'd say the pecking order is:

1. Rooney
2. Owen
3. Gerrard
4. Ferdinand, then
5. Terry.

Joe cole HAS to be in the top 3 now. Most consistant player in the squad

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hopefully under Capello we wont be painted into a corner where we miss individual players. i think that says alot about the state of manamgement and tactics underthe clown and a lesser degree under eriksson. we dont *need* rooney or owen if we play in a way that doesnt need them. top manager should be able to fix that with a plan b, c and d.

Terry i can take or leave. for chelsea he is a rock who plays alongside another 1st class CB and behind a 1st class holding midfielder. For England he should perform the same, depending on getting that other CB (we have two quality holding midfielders in Barry and Hargreaves). but on recent form the other candidates have been found lacking at international level, and Terry is probably not good enough on his own. His physical game doesnt wash with international refs and he hasnt got many other tricks.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
To be fair Grant is right in that we probably would have got the result against Croatia had Terry been playing, the defending that day was awful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here