Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England matches on TV

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Unless a deal can be done it looks like highlights of next week's England world cup matches will not be shown on terresterial TV. This is the first time this has ever happened. Setanta have the rights to show England away games but as we all know the host broadcaster usually sells a highlights package to other networks so people who can't afford pay TV can still watch something. How many of us can now afford Sky AND Setanta? But this is not going to happen after a big row, you've guessed it, about money has broken out. Once again, it's the public who loses out. This market works only to serve the interests and pockets of the FA and not us, the supporters. Well done Barwick and the FA Blazerarti once again: another triumph.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Barwick_Brian_578394.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I still wonder how this market was allowed to happen in the first place? Basically Sky came along and stated you will now have to pay for something that is free. Very clever.

I propose that I charge each and everyone of you when it rains. A one off payment of £30 followed by 50p for every hour it rains. Please follow this link http://www.herrtubthumpersmoneymakingscheme.co.uk

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
f***ing shit, isn't it.

I'm old and naive enough to have blithely assumed that I'd be enjoying watching an England World Cup game this weekend. It was only the other day I remembered that these days they're on the likes of Setanta, so I can forget it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I seem to recall that when the Premiership was formed they came up with some crap about how with more money concentrated in the top tier it would benefit the England team.

So, the end result is one of the worst England teams in ages which you now have to pay to watch. Brilliant.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Highlights or full matches?

They had the highlights for the home friendly the other week.

full matches i believe

setanta then have home friendlies and away qualifiers

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I shall mostly be watching these qualifiers from a barstool in my local - will probably make a beeline for it straight after the Albion game on Saturday.
I'm looking FORWARD to it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sadly this has all come about because most of us have bought into pay tv for our sport.

I saw the light pre-season and cancelled my sky sports sub.

But the horse has bolted and pay tv for premium sports is here to stay.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The T.V deal encourages people to watch it together in pubs and local hostelries, the bringing together of the local communtiy for such events is only a good thing in my opinion.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The T.V deal encourages people to watch it together in pubs and local hostelries, the bringing together of the local communtiy for such events is only a good thing in my opinion.

No it's not. People should be able to watch highlights of the national team in the comfort of their own home. Plus it excludes a vast number of people, particuarly kids, who would have otherwise watched.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Plus it excludes a vast number of people, particuarly kids, who would have otherwise watched.

And English people exiled in Scotland. Ever tried watching a game in a Edinburgh pub heaving with sweaties? I have, and it ain't fun.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
dont get mad/or sky/or setanta. get even

get your self a P2P streamer and watch the game for free.

loads of them will be in operation either some feed from an asian channel or some bloke with sky/setanta on his computer.

quality is getting better and some are up there with iplayer

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

the voice of reason yet again :bowdown:

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Sadly this has all come about because most of us have bought into pay tv for our sport.

I saw the light pre-season and cancelled my sky sports sub.

But the horse has bolted and pay tv for premium sports is here to stay.

and going to get more and more expensive as pubs and people like us leave the service.sky gave no discount for the lost coverage that setanta now charge a tenner a month for.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I still wonder how this market was allowed to happen in the first place? Basically Sky came along and stated you will now have to pay for something that is free. Very clever.

what was free? certainly not football, you had to pay at the turnstile to see it. the football clubs didnt want it televised at all in the beginning fearing reduced numbers. the only thing Sky did was offer enough money for them to change their mind. im not defending Sky, just telling it how it is. you have always had to pay to publish the fixture list for example. its just the way of the world, short of water and air nothing is free and never was. at the end of the day, professional football isnt a charity but a commercial concern, just as theatre, film, music or any other form of entertainment.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No it's not. People should be able to watch highlights of the national team in the comfort of their own home. Plus it excludes a vast number of people, particuarly kids, who would have otherwise watched.
"You know when you've been Crodo'd".

(To be said in an deep voice with an American accent in the style of the Tango ads)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here