Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England matches on TV

what was free? certainly not football, you had to pay at the turnstile to see it. the football clubs didnt want it televised at all in the beginning fearing reduced numbers. the only thing Sky did was offer enough money for them to change their mind. im not defending Sky, just telling it how it is. you have always had to pay to publish the fixture list for example. its just the way of the world, short of water and air nothing is free and never was. at the end of the day, professional football isnt a charity but a commercial concern, just as theatre, film, music or any other form of entertainment.

How long has water been free?
If it's free where you live can you please tell us all on NSC whereabouts we have to move to?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And English people exiled in Scotland. Ever tried watching a game in a Edinburgh pub heaving with sweaties? I have, and it ain't fun.

I watched the England draw with Italy which got us to some finals about 10 years back in a Glasgow pub. It was horrible. People were spitting at the screen. When they sang 'stand up if you hate the English I did....and walked out for my own safety.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
what was free? certainly not football, you had to pay at the turnstile to see it. the football clubs didnt want it televised at all in the beginning fearing reduced numbers. the only thing Sky did was offer enough money for them to change their mind. im not defending Sky, just telling it how it is. you have always had to pay to publish the fixture list for example. its just the way of the world, short of water and air nothing is free and never was. at the end of the day, professional football isnt a charity but a commercial concern, just as theatre, film, music or any other form of entertainment.

I definitely recall watching live football on tv on Sunday afternoons for nothing when I was younger. I also recall watching loads of european games for nout. I know there was some opposition from clubs but there was definitely live footy on tv in my younger days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At the end of the day, professional football isnt a charity but a commercial concern, just as theatre, film, music or any other form of entertainment.

I didnt say it was a charity and cleary it is a very very commercial concern. I'm just saying that I find it interesting that something which was shown on tv for free was then charged for......with seemingly no complaints from the public. I find this interesting.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Unless a deal can be done it looks like highlights of next week's England world cup matches will not be shown on terresterial TV. This is the first time this has ever happened. Setanta have the rights to show England away games but as we all know the host broadcaster usually sells a highlights package to other networks so people who can't afford pay TV can still watch something. How many of us can now afford Sky AND Setanta? But this is not going to happen after a big row, you've guessed it, about money has broken out. Once again, it's the public who loses out. This market works only to serve the interests and pockets of the FA and not us, the supporters. Well done Barwick and the FA Blazerarti once again: another triumph.

Nothing has actually changed as such and it isn't the FA's fault.

The FA only have the rights to the home games, the away games are sold by the foreign football association.

Unfortunately you don't have the "rights" to naturally view something taking place in another country.

So the pockets of the FA argument doesn't apply in this example.

Setanta having bought the exclusive rights abroad can do what they damn well like with them unfortunately. It's up to them whether they choose to let ITV, BBC (or Sky even) take the highlights.

What has happened in the past is that Sky have sold on the highlight rights to ITV or BBC, or a separate deal with the overseas football association exists for the highlights.

Setanta aren't in the mood to do this at the moment unless ITV stump up more money.

Not the first time this has happened. Remember the U-Direct(?) company that bought up the exclusive rights to a game abroad a few years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here