Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Empire Magazines Top 10 films of 2009

charlieoatway

through thin and thin
Aug 22, 2009
Bristol
These are Empire Magazines Top 10 films of 2009 as voted by their staff and contributors.

Do you agree?, Any glaring omissions?

1. Let The Right One In

2. Slumdog Millionaire

3.Up

4. The Hurt Locker

5. Star Trek

6. The Wrestler

7. Inglorious Basterds

8. In The Loop

9. District 9

10. Coraline

There are some bigger films which are still to come out this year, Avatar and Clash of the Titans

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Slumdog Millionaire was overhyped and pretty mediocre
rest of the list I'm OK with

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Slumdog Millionaire was last year - that's how it qualified for the Oscars.

Where is Moon?
Where is (500) Days of Summer?

Other than that, not a bad list.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not seen all of those, but I would certainly have The Wrestler and Inglorious Basterds up near the top 3.
Slumdog was ok, but VERY overrated. Can't understand why everyone was creaming themselves over that.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The trick with Slumdog was to have seen it before the hype, which I was lucky enough to have done. Excellent film in it's own right.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I saw UP with my kids twice (2D and 3D) and I didn't think it was much cop really. If that's at No.3 I guess it was a poor year.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Coraline is the only one of those films that I have actually seen. It wasn't too bad - it didn't 'show off' the fact it was in 3D and would have therefore worked well in 2D as well.

It was an OK kids film, in a fairly Tim Burton-esque style.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
best thing for me about the list is that i have not seen 6 of them, so its given me a few ideas of dvds to watch. one i did see was ditrict 9 and i was well unimpressed i must say. Basterds was good and Star trek

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Slumdog didn't deserve to be in the top 10 never mind second, but of the other ones I have seen (Up,The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Star Trek) I would entirely agree. They all offer something different and were highly enjoyable.

I worry about the likes of Avatar having seen the trailer - looks like a visual feast but the story looks like utter tosh. The only hope is that the acting skills of Sam Worthington can pull something meaningful from the wreckage.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
is let the right one in any good?

got basterds to watch , seems i like district 9 more than most on here.

the hurt locker very overated in my opinion

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
I saw Slumdog and didn't rate it tbh. That's the only one on the list I have seen. I did see Click (Adam Sandler, yes I realise its probaby well old now) and thought it was the best flick I have seen in yonks. In fact I watched it thrice.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
How the Hangover isn't in there is a mystery as well.

One of the funniest films I have ever seen!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Where f*** is Transformers 2 - The Revenge of the Fallen ? :rant:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Slumdog Millionaire is the most over hyped and over rated Oscar winning film ever imo as posted on the film thread, that was until There will be Blood came along.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The best film of the year for me is

Watchmen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The film I gave the highest rating to at the cinema this year was 'the blues brothers' at 9.1/10. (It was a special presentation).

Next if Harry Potter with 8.8, but I'm a huge HP fan, so that coloured my rating.

I then had several at 8.6 including monsters v aliens, frost/nixon, and the boat that rocked.

I should point out, these were ratings I gave immediately after seeing and they are slightly affected by how good a mood I was in as I left the theatre.

On reflection I'd give all those 8.6s a lower mark.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I respect your views Acker. Did you see Watchmen as I thought it was stunning ?.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Watchmen should definitely be in that list.

Inglourious Basterds was definitely NOT one of Tarantino's greatest moments.

Hurt Locker was great though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here