Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Emma Raducanu

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
While that was a nice comment, Navratilova is so bloody annoying. She is still prattling on as points are starting.

It must be really difficult being a commentator on any sport, as they all tend to be rubbish

The commentator in the Quarterfinal kept calling her Raducano. It really, really annoyed me. At least Martina doesn't give it a go and calls her Emma - that's definitely preferrable.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
While that was a nice comment, Navratilova is so bloody annoying. She is still prattling on as points are starting.

It must be really difficult being a commentator on any sport, as they all tend to be rubbish

There are worse.

"Ominous? Um, I don't know what that means..." - Karen Carn*y, Radio Five Live.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Funniest thing is how completely unfazed she seems by it all. You'd think she was playing in the Ladies Invitational at her local tennis club

Yes.

I mentioned that she giggled two days ago when asked a daft question after a win. I'll revise that. She sniggered. Same again after last night. It is the opposite of wistfulness. You don't win anything by being wistful. :bowdown:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

It's more or less universally believed by commentators that people tune in partly to watch the sport and partly to listen to the commentary. Very few of them believe that it's the sport people want to watch, and none at all believe that the commentator's job is just to talk about sport. They think it's a chat show.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
GO Emma.

BJ.JPG

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
thats not a logical comparison, Raducanu is ranked so low because she only starting out and hasn't developed a ranking, but she is clearly a top class player. There' not a gulf in ability as there would be with 2 football teams 6 or so divisions apart

Agreed. It’s not so much ‘Whitehawk winning the FA Cup’, it’s more like, say… Aaron Connolly bagging the Golden Boot Award at next year’s World Cup. Um. Maybe.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I ended up watching both semi-finals last night. Raducanu's performance was truly astonishing, the sheer power she generates with her returns is incredible, aligned with such consistent accuracy finding the angles and corners. She's relentless, its so impressive.

Fernandez was also hugely impressive in her semi as well though - Emma will certainly have her work cut out against her tomorrow night. It should be a hell of a final.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Has anyone mentioned yet the fact that she is also quite stunning looking as well - Massive Mega Product Endorsement deals await her. I just wish she was one of my clients

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone mentioned yet the fact that she is also quite stunning looking as well - Massive Mega Product Endorsement deals await her. I just wish she was one of my clients

Get your tin hat on you old man, I think you might be in for a rough ride from the Millennials on here for that sexist comment :wink:

I am liking the Yanks calling her Tornado Raducanu

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I ended up watching both semi-finals last night. Raducanu's performance was truly astonishing, the sheer power she generates with her returns is incredible, aligned with such consistent accuracy finding the angles and corners. She's relentless, its so impressive.

Fernandez was also hugely impressive in her semi as well though - Emma will certainly have her work cut out against her tomorrow night. It should be a hell of a final.

Jorge Fernandez, father of Leylah, adds a bit of off-court colour and passion also. Former Ecuador football international, highly prone to banging his fist against his heart, and kissing the badge on his shirt. Leylah, bless her, doesn't seem to let his monstrous in-yer-face persona affect her unduly, in fact she seems to find it a bit of a giggle :lol:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Raducanu's stats for the tournament are immense:

Including qualifying, she has won 109 games and only lost 43 (across 18 sets / 9 matches).

For the 6 matches in the main draw, she has won 72 games and only lost 27 (TWENTY SEVEN!) (across 12 sets)

Fernandez:
86 games won, 59 lost across 14 sets in 6 matches

There's a nice little compilation of some of her best moments from last night here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58511033

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Get your tin hat on you old man, I think you might be in for a rough ride from the Millennials on here for that sexist comment :wink:

Icy: Is there really anything that wrong with calling someone stunning? I mean I listen to Zoe Ball some mornings (I have to!!)
and she's always describing blokes as gorgeous etc women too in fairness. I listen to Liza Tarbuck on Radio 2 on a Saturday evening sometimes
and she is always reading emails about women describing their partners as gorgeous (men or women).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I didn't think it was sexist - It definitely isn't in the same league as Crodo's '' Next Opponent's most famous fan threads '' - I haven't posted that photo of her wearing a thong :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Icy: Is there really anything that wrong with calling someone stunning? I mean I listen to Zoe Ball some mornings (I have to!!)
and she's always describing blokes as gorgeous etc women too in fairness. I listen to Liza Tarbuck on Radio 2 on a Saturday evening sometimes
and she is always reading emails about women describing their partners as gorgeous (men or women).

Not to me…but there are so many things I’ve said in my life that I hesitate to say online or in company these days though .:smile:

Even my own kids pull me up on comments I make as being unpc, it’s very wearing :lolol:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Sensational!

She hasn't dropped a set yet all tournament!!

And she's a qualifier!!

Make no mistake, this is one of the great BRITISH sporting stories of all time.

I want to take a moment to let that bit in bold sink in, because I really, honestly think it is. It's remarkable and fascinating on so many levels.

This is a girl, sorry, woman - who the world simply had not heard of three or four months ago, and who even then most will have forgotten about more or less immediately after her Wimbledon exploits. I'll admit it myself, I watched her at Wimbledon and thought she did well, but ultimately wrote her off as a plucky British wildcard who I didn't necessarily expect to hear much from again. I assumed she didn't have the mental steel to really make a go of it in the game. More fool me.

And yet still, let's not forget that she had to win three qualifying rounds just to get to the starting line. Before Wimbledon she was ranked 361st in the world. Even after doing so well there she went into the US Open ranked 150th in the world. In footballing terms, it's almost the equivalent of an Isthmian League team making it to the FA Cup Final, knocking out a slew of Premier League teams along the way. With ease. It just shouldn't happen, it shouldn't be possible. But this lady seems to take the rules of impossibility and rip them to shreds.

And let's not forget, all of this during a year and a half of massive disruption which will have affected not only her sporting career, but also her education. I wonder if she knew she would be financially set for life just a matter of months after sitting her A-levels? I am certain she will not have had access to the training and facilities that her established rivals will have done, particularly during the early stages of the pandemic. It just adds to the madness of her achievement.

Then you add the fact that her rival in the final has followed a similar path and is not much more experienced, herself having not been further than the third round in a Grand Slam previously. I've not seen as much of Fernandez, but both clearly have massive futures ahead of them.

What a brilliant advert for tennis and women's sport in general. In fact I'm doing her a disservice, sport in general. I've been every bit captivated by her performances in this tournament as I was by Andy Murray in his pomp. Her game is without doubt more polished than Murray's was in the early days of his professional career; far more in fact.

Phenomenal player. Phenomenal woman. Can't wait for the final on Saturday night.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
One thing interests me. There has been a lot of talk about records because of how young she is and how inexperienced and low ranked and how she had to qualify. But ignoring those youth-related records - how many records is she setting against all ages? It's not uncommon to reach the final of a ladies' slam without dropping a set, but how often does someone get there without even facing a tie break? And how many finalists have lost fewer than 27 games in the 6 main draw matches?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here