Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Emma Raducanu

Stumpy Tim

I managed to catch most of the second set at 4am. Just never in doubt. My favourite bit was when Navratilova was banging on about the momentum swinging after the Greek girl had just clung onto her serve, so Raducanu then just held serve to love. She is fearless

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It is simply astonishing. She was ranked 338th in the world at the start of Wimbledon! It's just about equivalent to Whitehawk reaching the FA Cup Final.

Nonsense comparison, but yes, it is mindblowing.
She plays the right shot every time.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Just watched 10 minutes of highlights, almost in shock really. Having watched and played Tennis for near on 30 years I can’t quite believe the run she’s had from qualifying, her 4th ever Tour event, first US Open and not dropping a set in main draw…

She’s hasn’t edged through some nervy matches, she’s systematically dismantled some class players. Aggression has been there, tactics and game management better than girls much older and played big points incredibly well.

I really hope the media just leave her to her game as it’s still developing and she really could go all the way. Sorry but there’s been some women’s world number 1’s in recent years who have almost got there by playing a lot of tournaments - with the right team around her there’s hopefully every chance she’ll her there.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Astonishing performance last night and she’s been incredible all the way through the tournament. She has a decent chance of actually winning it !

Taking into account she was a qualifier and this is only her 2nd grand slam tournament, this is already one of the greatest sports achievements in modern history and if she were to win the title , quite possibly the biggest sports achievement of all time !

Seriously . It’s that good .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
don't get me wrong it's a brilliant acheivement but Tennis and football is not the same, a young player with huge potential and can defy their ranking and you always have to start at the bottom

Serena Williams was ranked 181 when she reached the 2018 Wimbledon final, because she took a year out.

That’s like saying the only non league team to win the FA Cup was

Tottenham Hotspur. :lolol::lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Astonishing performance last night and she’s been incredible all the way through the tournament. She has a decent chance of actually winning it !

Taking into account she was a qualifier and this is only her 2nd grand slam tournament, this is already one of the greatest sports achievements in modern history and if she were to win the title , quite possibly the biggest sports achievement of all time !

Seriously . It’s that good .

If she wins they won’t need to bother with the SPOTY poll……..probably done enough already to romp it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
don't get me wrong it's a brilliant acheivement but Tennis and football is not the same, a young player with huge potential and can defy their ranking and you always have to start at the bottom

Serena Williams was ranked 181 when she reached the 2018 Wimbledon final, because she took a year out.

And yet she didn't have to pre-qualify and was in fact seeded. Hardly starting at the bottom.

As Emma has already done something that no-one else ever has, this has to be the greatest tennis achievement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Remarkable performance, a remarkable young woman. Well done Emma.

Another plus is that she doesn't grunt / scream / shriek like so many of her fellow competitors. She is smooth as silk.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
And yet she didn't have to pre-qualify and was in fact seeded. Hardly starting at the bottom.

As Emma has already done something that no-one else ever has, this has to be the greatest tennis achievement.

Totally agree

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That's not a meaningful comparison at all - Williams must have already won more than 20 Grand Slam titles at that point..............her low ranking points then was a simple technicality because she didn't accumulate any for a period of months. Raducanu's low ranking points are because she's never won anything serious.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I watched on my phone in bed. Amazing performance, total control and confidence from Emma from start to finish. She let 15-40 and 40-0 leads go in the second set to miss a chance to break and to have to defend her serve but it didn't fluster her whatsoever. Just got on with playing the points with a maturity that's hard to believe. Sakkari's a strong girl with real power in her shots, but she couldn't move Emma around consistently enough to really hurt her. It was such an amazing performance, the fact that she's just 18 and is playing only her second WTA Tour level event is mindblowing. She really has all the potential in the world and I hope she can really keep her focus on tennis.

Stumpy Tim

“She must have been here before. It was just in a previous life.” - Martina Navratilova, commentating on Amazon Prime.

Lovely.

While that was a nice comment, Navratilova is so bloody annoying. She is still prattling on as points are starting.

It must be really difficult being a commentator on any sport, as they all tend to be rubbish

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
That's not a meaningful comparison at all - Williams must have already won more than 20 Grand Slam titles at that point..............her low ranking points then was a simple technicality because she didn't accumulate any for a period of months. Raducanu's low ranking points are because she's never won anything serious.

its a better comparison than Whitehawk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here