Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elphick leaving

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Anyone who doesn't fight for their place can go. I wouldn't be bothered about anyone leaving. I don't think we have a single individual in the squad who is indispensable, and if we did it certainly wouldn't be Elphick. We're a fantastic team full of good players but no outstanding ones. There is only one man who must remain at the club for us to be successful, and his name is Gustavo.

Not entirely convinced by that and i guess your point of view is linked with Forster as well.
What you are forgetting is that we still have to take gambles on players.If we sold Bennett for 750k you can expect Gus be giving about 200k to find a replacement which isn't easy.Look at all the gambles we have taken on strikers and we have yet to find a Charlie Austin type.
Some players will prove very hard to replace like Calderon.
Then the player has to settle in which can sometimes take a while like Nav and others never settle.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Technically you would actually crawl to Peru on hands and knees but I get your point.

You could if you had a very long snorkel and considerable strength, a good wet suit, additional weights, secondary oxegen supply and a heater element for the suit, underwater satnav and additonal security ... and a mars bar

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Re: Crawling to Peru
There have been some charity cycles or walk/marathons that involved people cycling/walking while on the boat across the ocean, so crawling while on a boat across the atlantic could be an option.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Looking at this for actual football reasons I thought Elphick had a steady game on saturday but you could see why Greer is preferred in the first team as there were a number of clearances from defence rather than passing the ball out. Dunk started doing it in the second half too.

So on that basis, Elphick (and Dunk for that matter) are solid cover for the two currently in the first team, you know they'll do a solid job when required (and injury/suspension says they're very likely to be needed and perhaps for a reasonable period) and that Elphick is the go to choice out of the two of them. Any request to leave now would be short sighted in my view.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am not sure whether Elphick is likely to ask for a move, but that is likely to depend on his choices.

It seems it is a leaked private conversation that high-lights his current disappointment at not being selected as a first choice.

All pretty normal and as a professional I am sure he will train hard and try his best to wait for an opportunity.

I did note that if he has been left to train with the youth team to throw footballs that's something that would prompt something more serious as it would reflect Poyets view on him as a player and likely to upset any player.

The normal response from fans always say that players should knuckle down etc and of course that is true to a point, but the club/manager has a role to play here too, they need to manage the situation carefully if indeed they do want that player to stay.

All the new players brought in have moved from clubs to us, many no doubt seeking a move for the same reasons some on here criticise our own players that do the same thing.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Im glad that our players that arent in the team at the moment arent happy. If there was a player that is happy to sit on the bench, or even in the reserves then thats not the type of player that we need at our club.

May 12, 2010
CHRIST, you are hard to please aren't you? If there is a centre back in a league one with a better range of passing than Gordon Greer than I will walk to Peru on my hands and knees. Did you see him against Exeter?!?!?!? He was dropping 30-40 yard passes onto the winger's toes. Simply different class.

I can't think of a league 1 centre back with a better range of passing than GORDON either.
However I'd like to pledge a tenner to REMF if you decide to do your sponsored walk/crawl.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Elphick did nothing wrong and got dropped, he is not gonna be 1st choice anytime soon it seems and with Dunk in the wings may well feel he can do better by moving on, maybe to a team not doing as well as us, but I guess 1st team football at somewhere like Orient is better than reserves at Brighton. I understand why he may want out and suggest this is gonna be a problem thoughout the squad ( see McNulty) as better players are not gonna happily kick their heels as reserves for a League 3 club imo.

Yes, could be that Russell will offer him a permanent place in the O's defence.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
i'd be surprised if he goes anywhere other than alone, curiously when i saw him on the pitch at half time vs Exeter, his body language did seem quite negative..

If he can channel it the right way and fight to get back in the team, great, if not, well maybe hes not destined to rise with the Albion after all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was more concerned about the midfielders on saturday and their patent inability to break down a 9 man defence of part timers.

I dread to think where we will be if injuries and suspensions start biting.

Sort it out Gus

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I hope this isn't true, I really do. Quite apart from the specifics of losing Elphick, I just don't like to think about how precious footballers are these days. The amount who throw a tantrum at the prospect of having to fight for their place doesn't sit well with me.

C'mon Elf, you're more man than that aren't you? I didn't think you were someone who'd take being dropped like this .... :tantrum:

In fact, no, I don't believe it. That is so far from what I think of teh guy, that I just don't believe it can be true. If it is, there is more to this than just being left out for Greer.

essex seagull

Nov 2, 2008
essex
i think Tommy was left out at Charlton because he was one yellow card away from suspension,Gus might have thought if he gets a card and El Abd gets injured or a red card then hes got to play Greer who hadnt played for a while and Dunk a great prospect but not much first team experience together in the next match.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I dismissed this when I saw it earlier as well.

Until.

A chap who I know not that well called round to pick his missus up tonight (she'd been round chinwagging with mine for the evening). He has a passing interest with the Albion, and apparently works with Elphicks mum. Word is, he's not happy at being dropped, has been largely ignored by Poyet since he's been out of the team, and spent most of last week lobbing the ball up to youth-teamers for them to practice headers. He wants out in January, and Leeds are sniffing.

I countered about him coming on for El Abd the other week etc, so is hardly out of the managers thoughts. But this guy shrugged and said all is not well (he's not an NSC-er). Dismiss if you like, but it has got me a bit worried as he has absolutely no reason to spin me a line, and having earlier seen this thread about it as well....

Sounds like honest gossip. But my mum, for example, wouldn't go telling her friends anything about me she thought was a touchy subject, or anything I'd told her was sensitive info and not to spread it about. And wanting to leave for Leeds would be all rather tasty should GP get to hear about it.

So maybe Tommy had a wee moan over his morning bacon and eggs; I'd rather believe it's all very innocent.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I was more concerned about the midfielders on saturday and their patent inability to break down a 9 man defence of part timers.

I dread to think where we will be if injuries and suspensions start biting.

Sort it out Gus

Put simply; We missed Bennett big-time in my view

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone know when Tommy's contract is up? Just thinking spreading these sorts of rumours could all be part of negotiating a new deal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sounds like honest gossip. But my mum, for example, wouldn't go telling her friends anything about me she thought was a touchy subject, or anything I'd told her was sensitive info and not to spread it about. And wanting to leave for Leeds would be all rather tasty should GP get to hear about it.

So maybe Tommy had a wee moan over his morning bacon and eggs; I'd rather believe it's all very innocent.

I hope you're right.

Quite honestly I wouldn't even have bothered posting what he told me on here if I hadn't seen this thread beforehand saying the exact same thing. This is the same rumour heard by two different people, seemingly from the same source.

It could all be getting blown out of proportion. Elphick has every right to be pissed off at being dropped, as none of his performances of late warranted it, but that certainly shouldn't mean he wants out. The main beef seems to be that (apparently) since being out of the team, he's been ignored by the management.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here