Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Edit, I got sidetracked into posting about Murray again :yawn:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I do think we have to be realistic that Bennett is going. The club have made it clear we have a pay structure which will not be broken, very frustrating and yet very refreshing, why break the bank!

The one thing I would question is why go to Norwich to sit on the bench, it's already been said that that Bennett has no record in the Premiership or the Championship, it's a big punt to take on a regular substitiute (I presume he won't start).

Can understand why he would want to go for the money but why not give it until the winter transfer window to see how you get on in the Championship before going.

It's clear to me that he's gone and I appluade him for the effort he put into the club, good luck, I reckon Gus and the club would always keep the door open for a quality player.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I do think we have to be realistic that Bennett is going. The club have made it clear we have a pay structure which will not be broken, very frustrating and yet very refreshing, why break the bank!

I don't think its about cash in terms of Salary, I really don't. You think he would stay with us if we matched the salary NCFC have offered him? Just asking, like.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I don't think its about cash in terms of Salary, I really don't. You think he would stay with us if we matched the salary NCFC have offered him? Just asking, like.

Call me old fashioned but I do like to see a little bit of loyalty, if i was at a club who had just secured a new ground, promotion, new backer then yes I would stay around a bit longer.
To go to a new club and probably sit on the bench wouldn't float my boat. Therefore yes I really do think that the pressure from his agent and the promise of a extra wages has pushed him away. I'm not blaming him as it is a short career.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The club have made it clear we have a pay structure which will not be broken,

it's a big punt to take on a regular substitiute (I presume he won't start).

It's clear to me that he's gone .

mm, lots of assumptions there, and little in the way of any information.

Firstly, the club may have said there is a pay structure, but that have not said what it is. If you are referring to the Murray situation, then it is clear that Gus/TB didn't think he was worth what he was asking for, nothing to do with exceeding our pay structure. Maybe that’s different with the potential Bennett move, seeing as the outcome will be a place in a Premier League side, then of course, you would expect the wages to be much higher than we’re used to paying, and the additional lure of Premier football might be too much for him to resist.

Second, why do you presume he won't start? Why on earth would Lambert be looking to (allegedly) spend over a million of his finite resources on a bench warmer, he simply cannot afford to do that.

Third, I guess you are a glass half empty on this one then, well, for me, I'll be hopeful that he decides to stay with us, until I hear otherwise. There has been no official comment on this yet, so for me it's fingers crossed he'll realise he'll be an Albion player next season.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
the hold up is the player swap for Bennett , Russel Martin the Brighton born defender wants away after rejecting a sixth finger transplant and is currently trying to sort out personal terms with brighton ,Brighton currently have 2 of thier central defenders on the treatment table,reports suggest if he does not agree personal terms, then Bennett isnt going anywhere .

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
No matter how many players they take off us, they'll never make up for Jimmy Case's goal in the 83 Quarter Final. :goal::rave:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Enjoyed the suggestion on the 'Alan Pardew in Brighton today' thread that he was agreeing a swop involving Benno and LuaLua.........Although I don't want to see Benno go it would amuse me to get KLL in return, thereby gazumping Delia. Would teach the locals around here in turnipland not to count their canaries before they are hatched!

ncfc 1968

Jun 8, 2011
Oh by the way i can assure you all i am not that knob ncfc 1986, he is probably a scum [ipswitch] fan anyway, they take inbreeding to a whole new level!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Oh by the way i can assure you all i am not that knob ncfc 1986, he is probably a scum [ipswitch] fan anyway, they take inbreeding to a whole new level!

So you admit to inbreeding, interesting. So the other ncfc 1986, is that your sister?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
mm, lots of assumptions there, and little in the way of any information.

Firstly, the club may have said there is a pay structure, but that have not said what it is. If you are referring to the Murray situation, then it is clear that Gus/TB didn't think he was worth what he was asking for, nothing to do with exceeding our pay structure. Maybe that’s different with the potential Bennett move, seeing as the outcome will be a place in a Premier League side, then of course, you would expect the wages to be much higher than we’re used to paying, and the additional lure of Premier football might be too much for him to resist.

Second, why do you presume he won't start? Why on earth would Lambert be looking to (allegedly) spend over a million of his finite resources on a bench warmer, he simply cannot afford to do that.

Third, I guess you are a glass half empty on this one then, well, for me, I'll be hopeful that he decides to stay with us, until I hear otherwise. There has been no official comment on this yet, so for me it's fingers crossed he'll realise he'll be an Albion player next season.
Sorry just have to defend myself here. Of course there are lots of assumptions and very little information, everything on this board is guess work. We are all in the dark unless it is made official.

With reference to the pay structure you are right it is totally based on the Murray figures. Maybe an assumption but would the club have one rule for Murray, another for Bennett, I doubt it as that would be a shit pay structure.

Norwich are now a Premiership side of course they would fork out big bucks on quality to warm the bench. All relative maybe you could say we did the same with Noone. Players coming on who can change a game.

Last, your assumption is totally wrong my glass is never half empty I feel that I am just a realist. While there has been no official line on the matter you don't get smoke without fire and two approaches over the last few months make it clear to me that Norwich want there man. Maybe not enough actual facts and too many assumptions but it's the best I can do, actually at the moment it's the best any of us can do. Be glad when a decision is made one way or the other.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Bennett is a class act and, just as with BZ, I will follow his post Albion career with affectionate interest. Good luck to him and you.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Call me old fashioned but I do like to see a little bit of loyalty, if i was at a club who had just secured a new ground, promotion, new backer then yes I would stay around a bit longer.
To go to a new club and probably sit on the bench wouldn't float my boat. Therefore yes I really do think that the pressure from his agent and the promise of a extra wages has pushed him away. I'm not blaming him as it is a short career.

You are old fashioned !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here