Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Can't see that working unless the scrappage scheme takes into account the value of the ICE car. if you have a 30k ICE car and want to move to EV there is no way the government are going to pay the going rate of the ICE car as scrappage. The only way a scrappage scheme works is if what you are scrapping is a valueless heap of crap surely? Even then if someone is driving around in a £500 to £2000 car are they likely to be able to afford a 25k plus car even if they get 2k for the scrappage?

Or have I missed something completely?

Previous scrappage schemes (ICE to ICE) have worked when it comes to taking older, dirtier cars off the road.

An ICE to EV scheme would probably need to work a little differently (that would be for experts in the field to figure out), but I wouldn't envision it being too different. You're building it specifically to get the *dirtiest* vehicles off the road and replaced with clean(er) EVs. So you wouldn't be targeting ICE's that still have significant second-hand market value.

Also - there's a good reason why I suggested it should be coupled with initiatives designed to encourage driving down the price of entry level EVs.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Electric cars have fast acceleration - even a Nissan Leaf is no slouch from a standing start. I think the Tesla's with Ludicrous mode switched on will be significantly faster than any of those old boy racer motors but the price tag makes them far less accessible.

On paper yes, but it's like driving an i pad.

It's difficult to describe but most modern cars lack character and soul.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
OK then EV car people.

If you were looking into buying or leasing a fairly entry level, small to medium EV what features and specs would you be looking for?

Any models you wouldn't buy?

I’d be looking at the Renault Zoe or Peugeot 208 in the small car bracket.

If I were looking at something slightly larger, probably the Cupra Born (which is Seat/Cupra’s take on the VW ID3 but will have benefited from being slower to market)

Lots of reports of problems with the ID3 from early adopters, the car was ready, the software wasn’t. The Cupra being slower to market suggests lessons have been learnt.

The Hyundai/Kia electrics are supposed to be quite good, but actually getting one of their new models is meant to be pretty tough, and again owners have reported teething troubles, so maybe still better looking at the e-Niro rather than the EV6, or the Kona rather than the Ioniq5. Don’t be fooled by the pictures of the Ioniq5 btw, it looks from the photos like it’s fiesta size, when it’s actually well into SUV territory.

If money were no object, the BMW i4 (40 model for the longer range) or a Porsche Taycan, or a Tesla. I personally couldn’t live with the styling of Tesla’s SUVs, and even the Model 3 is slightly odd, the Model S remains their only fairly attractive car IMO. The Jag I-Pace is one you might get 2nd hand, which has a bit of power for those who want it.

All the above comes from occasional lurking on an EV forum (Speak EV) for a few years.

I’ll be waiting 3-4 years for there to be a used i4 market, and making a purchase then.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Have you got the ZapMap app? Or does the car have sat-nav where you can divert to rapid-charging hubs? I know there's a good new one at Banbury up the M40, but not sure about the M1. A quick glance at the app suggests there are LOADS located at service stations off the motorway, but they are normally more expensive than ones just off the beaten track.

The closest example I can give you was when I went to Manchester and back the other weekend. One rapid charge either way – maybe two on the way back, actually – and didn't add much time the journey.

That's my usual Manchester to Sussex stop off and has been there a couple of years now. 1 min from motorway junction, recently upgraded from 8 to 16 rapid chargers and right next to a Costa coffee for a snack, poo and 30 minutes rest while your car refuels. It's ideal, and hopefully these places will become far more common as this one certainly gets regular use.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If travelling on my own, I'll do it without stopping. Generally about 5 hours. Sometimes under 4, but can be 6 or 6.5 hours

A Tesla Model 3 long range (£49k) can do 340ish miles on a single charge.

Using a Tesla Supercharger it can charge from 10% to 80% in a little over 20 minutes.

It will also do the heavy lifting on those long motorways.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Got one and love it - excellent if you have a drive to charge on and then plan stops on long journeys, but my 250 mile range is fine.
If you don’t have a drive then it could be tricky.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'll drive from Brighton to Newquay & back in a day about 10 times a year - I'll be interested only when an electric vehicle can do that comfortably

Well, I've just got back from my first long trip - Truro to Shoreham - with no trouble at all, so I'm feeling more confidant now. Left home with a full charge, stopped at Bridport on the way up. Recharged at the Longshore pub after some local driving, then stopped at Poundbury on the way back. Easy, with only one stop each way for lunch and leg-stretch (which you should be doing anyway). Didn't need full charges, which is great as it tends to slow down after 80%, to protect the battery.

Had our Peugeot e208 GT Premium for 6 weeks, and absolutely love it - so smooth and powerful (even in the "eco" setting - "Normal" and "Sport" are off the chart!), easy to drive. Love the "B" braking mode - automatically applies gentle braking as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator - great for stop / start traffic, and for holding it within the speed limit down steep hills.

As others have said, you just need to plan a bit with ZapMap - https://www.zap-map.com

For general, local driving you'll adopt a different strategy to refuelling. With petrol, most people would run the tank down and then fill it to the top. With electric, you'll be "grazing" - pick up 20 miles for free when you stop at Tesco or a retail park with fast chargers. You can make do with a "granny charger" in a 3 pin socket at home, but at 3-8 miles per hour charging could take more than 24 hours if you've run it down. We've not had a problem with that, but are getting a proper charger installed next week.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So your problem with EVs is that you can't recognise them in your rear view mirror and they are too quiet?

As a pedestrian, I nearly got run over by an EV, last Saturday, in Brighton, because I didn't hear it. I worry for blind people.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Hyundai/Kia electrics are supposed to be quite good, but actually getting one of their new models is meant to be pretty tough, and again owners have reported teething troubles, so maybe still better looking at the e-Niro rather than the EV6, or the Kona rather than the Ioniq5. Don’t be fooled by the pictures of the Ioniq5 btw, it looks from the photos like it’s fiesta size, when it’s actually well into SUV territory.

You might find it easier to get an electric Hyundai/Kia at the moment on account they make their own chips, so they are not subject to the global shortage the other manufacturers suffer. That said, plenty have cottoned onto this so demand is high for their cars.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Had our Peugeot e208 GT Premium for 6 weeks, and absolutely love it

Can I ask how you're getting on with the i-cockpit setup that the Peugeots have? Looking at pictures the low steering wheel just looks odd and plenty of reports that it gets it the way of the dials.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A little glance upwards before you cross a road may reduce some of the risk

Cars that make virtually no noise are a problem for pedestrians, fact. People will be or are being injured or killed because of it I’m sure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A little glance upwards before you cross a road may reduce some of the risk

I was crossing a side road with the vehicle turning left. Generally speaking, I glance over my shoulder but because I couldn't hear a vehicle, I didn't think to. The Highway Code says it has to give way to pedestrians in any case, in that scenario.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was crossing a side road with the vehicle turning left. Generally speaking, I glance over my shoulder but because I couldn't hear a vehicle, I didn't think to. The Highway Code says it has to give way to pedestrians in any case, in that scenario.

If EV drivers are as inconsiderate and as arrogant as most cyclists it’s going to be a massive problem as they increase in number. They need to make it law that EV cars make a noise in built up areas

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If EV drivers are as inconsiderate and as arrogant as most cyclists it’s going to be a massive problem as they increase in number. They need to make it law that EV cars make a noise in built up areas

Particularly since quite a few shopping centres are now 'shared zones'

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Mine automatically makes noise at low speeds. At regular speeds, 20mph+, electric cars make clearly audible noise due to tyre/road noise and wind resistance. Once an electric car is up to 45-50mph or there abouts, they make pretty much as much noise as any other cars.

edit, this is not stuff I've made up, but what is readily available to read on a number of websites, bot pro and against EVs.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Can I ask how you're getting on with the i-cockpit setup that the Peugeots have? Looking at pictures the low steering wheel just looks odd and plenty of reports that it gets it the way of the dials.

I had to adjust the steering wheel - easily done with the little lever underneath - but am perfectly happy with it; a very natural, comfortable position, no problem seeing the dials. (I'm 5ft 8ins, if that helps!) The huge steering wheels in other cars would look odd to me now. The 3D display is also very good, with all the info you need at your fingertips, plus our version has the large infotainment screen.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Blame the drivers, not the cars! :smile:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mine automatically makes noise at low speeds. At regular speeds, 20mph+, electric cars make clearly audible noise due to tyre/road noise and wind resistance. Once an electric car is up to 45-50mph or there abouts, they make pretty much as much noise as any other cars.

edit, this is not stuff I've made up, but what is readily available to read on a number of websites, bot pro and against EVs.

Not arguing with you but I am often passed by EVs close to the village where I live and yes they do make some noise but nowhere near enough for people who are hard of hearing imo. Surprising the number of people who aren’t that old who don’t hear well too.

I guess we’ll have to have a few fatalities and nasty injuries before anything is done about it though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here