Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given the terrible depreciation on EVs at the moment - there’s some fantastic deals on leasing the Mercedes EQC at the moment £370 a month for a £60k+ car and trouble free motoring for a couple of years

Mercedes-Benz EQC​

EQC 400 300kW AMG Line Premium 80kWh 5dr Auto​

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Duplicate

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Given the terrible depreciation on EVs at the moment - there’s some fantastic deals on leasing the Mercedes EQC at the moment

Mercedes-Benz EQC​

They always do you on the mileage 5000 pa is crap

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Even 8000 is very strong. You’d easily save £750 a year factoring in an Octopus rate

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

While accepting that there are use cases where this doesn’t apply, I tend to think that if you do less than 5000 miles a year in a car, you don’t actually need the car.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Leasing EV's seem a good idea through a company as salary sacrifice and only 2% car tax.

As a private individual they're a expensive option

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Leasing EV's seem a good idea through a company as salary sacrifice and only 2% car tax.

As a private individual they're a expensive option
Generally yes, but that deal excels ICE ‘deals’ in current market

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Given the terrible depreciation on EVs at the moment - there’s some fantastic deals on leasing the Mercedes EQC at the moment £370 a month for a £60k+ car and trouble free motoring for a couple of years

Mercedes-Benz EQC​

You didn't mention the £3,374 upfront, making it really £500 / month.

It's still a relatively good deal, though.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't know how others are finding costs with regards to home charging but with a smart tariff 270 miles (80%) charge cost us on average under £10 in electricity.

If you were doing 500 miles per week I suspect the saving on fuel would go quite some way to offset the additional outlay.

We lease through a salary sacrifice deal which costs us around £300 a month, for 65k car with all the bells and whistles.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You didn't mention the £3,374 upfront, making it really £500 / month.

It's still a relatively good deal, though.
£1.20 / mile plus charging, not what I'd call cheap motoring

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't know how others are finding costs with regards to home charging but with a smart tariff 270 miles (80%) charge cost us on average under £10 in electricity.

If you were doing 500 miles per week I suspect the saving on fuel would go quite some way to offset the additional outlay.

We lease through a salary sacrifice deal which costs us around £300 a month, for 65k car with all the bells and whistles.
If you did 500 miles a week that would put 26k on the clock taking you 21k over the 5000 limit (on the mentioned deal)

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

From 30 - 100% on Octopus Intelligent (7.5p per KWh ) it costs between £3-£4 to charge. although at Pease Pottage on matchday same charge @68p is £18

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
From 30 - 100% on Octopus Intelligent (7.5p per KWh ) it costs between £3-£4 to charge. although at Pease Pottage on matchday same charge @68p is £18
Doesn't octopus have an increased tariff re non car charge use? So unless you use more electricity for car journeys than your house consumption you lose out? Or have I been mislead?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If you did 500 miles a week that would put 26k on the clock taking you 21k over the 5000 limit (on the mentioned deal)

I wasnt really referencing that particular deal just suggesting that some of the higher costs associated with leasing/purchasing is probably offset by the much cheaper running costs.

In our experience its something like 10 x cheaper in electricity cost compared to petrol for the same miles.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I wasnt really referencing that particular deal just suggesting that some of the higher costs associated with leasing/purchasing is probably offset by the much cheaper running costs.

In our experience its something like 10 x cheaper in electricity cost compared to petrol for the same miles.
I’m not sure I could be arsed with it all it annoys me waiting for my Dewalt batteries to charge 🤣

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
While accepting that there are use cases where this doesn’t apply, I tend to think that if you do less than 5000 miles a year in a car, you don’t actually need the car.
I remember talking to someone in NYC who spent less money on Ubers a year - including going to/from work every day - than it cost them to run a car...

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I’ve lived with my Nissan Leaf for a while now, and once I realised you could still have the radio/air con on while charging (for some reason it took me a fortnight before I actually tried it) it hasn’t been much of a chore to charge. I would absolutely get something with a higher range next time around as it’s the first gen original Leaf and is only capable of 80 miles between charges. With the mileage I do I’m charging daily, but a charge only takes 20-25 minutes to fill the battery. It’s definitely costing less than the diesel used to, despite not having charging facilities at home.

It’s well specced, with factory fitted Bose stereo and Subwoofer, comfortable leather seats, plenty of rear legroom and boot space. Acceleration is good, handling typical of Japanese cars in that the steering feels light but is quite responsive.

I’ve been around the country a bit and never had any difficulty finding chargers, though I stop with some reserve on the gauge when I’m going to charge points I haven’t used before.

I wouldn’t go back to the combustion engine, but I will absolutely be ensuring my next one claims a range of 240+ miles so I can be reasonably confident of getting 200 miles of range out of it.

If I was charging at home I’d be laughing costs wise, as it is I’m making savings but they’re not huge. I reckon I’ve gone from a tank of diesel every eight days at around £95 to a charge cost of between £8 and £11 daily dependent on how much is left in the battery when I plug it in. So cheaper than diesel, but not massively so. If I could charge from home I’d be insane to not be driving electric as charging costs would be more than halved.

And who wants to make Newcastle richer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here