Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was crossing a side road with the vehicle turning left. Generally speaking, I glance over my shoulder but because I couldn't hear a vehicle, I didn't think to. The Highway Code says it has to give way to pedestrians in any case, in that scenario.

Lesson learned. :) We'll all have to adjust the way we act when crossing roads.

Look. I'm sure there will be an increase in accidents. The point you make about the blind is fair.

But total illness and deaths in the UK are going to be offset and more with the improvement in air quality

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Fair comments. I don't think I'd put you in the category of people I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who are 100% against having anything to do with the cars. To the point where it's not worth pointing out that no, the car won't catch fire when there's a bit of lightning and yes, actually, things WILL be dramatically different by 2030. The EV infrastructure industry is going after the low-hanging fruit – urban areas, motorway networks, etc – so it (unfortunately) stands to reason that more rural areas will be the last to benefit. Doesn't make it right or fair for you guys, but I kinda get the approach.

I'm interested to see the article you mentioned...

Yeah, I knew that really! :D It does make sense - The thing that bugs me is that we don't stop for a second right now and say hang on, ONE provider, ONE app ,ONE connection type. I know that sounds a bit too close to nationalisation for some but it would just make sense.

And the messageboard version of missing the attachment! https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ive-learned-from-my-year-with-an-electric-car

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Cars that make virtually no noise are a problem for pedestrians, fact. People will be or are being injured or killed because of it I’m sure.

I think that's called natural selection. If you're daft enough to step into the road without taking a good look then the pool don't need your genes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't be patronising. I have been crossing roads since I was 5 years old (well over 60 years) and there is nothing wrong with my hearing.

If the car had hit me, he would have been charged as this is the new Highway Code ruling.

3. Road junctions (170 to 183) ; Rule 170: Give way to pedestrians who have started to cross ; Rule 173: Assess your vehicle's length and do not obstruct traffic.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If the car had hit me, he would have been charged as this is the new Highway Code ruling.

3. Road junctions (170 to 183) ; Rule 170: Give way to pedestrians who have started to cross ; Rule 173: Assess your vehicle's length and do not obstruct traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg6t6BwXVcY

Some padestirans deserve running over, I hate the way some ultra arrogant people just walk as if the road doesn't exist. *****.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I'm sure rule 173 would have provided you with some comfort in those moments when you can feel the last of your life force slipping away

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure rule 173 would have provided you with some comfort in those moments when you can feel the last of your life force slipping away

At that speed turning off West Street, it wouldn't have killed me. It would probably have broken my legs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that's called natural selection. If you're daft enough to step into the road without taking a good look then the pool don't need your genes.

Blimey, that's me told. I hope you feel as smug and self satisfied if you ever run someone down and kill them. It won't be your fault so feck 'em eh?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I think this thread is going a bit off-piste...

Something else I should mention - after buying my e208, I had to upgrade my crappy old Android phone, because I couldn't load the extra apps I needed for the car itself and various charging companies. So, shiny new car and shiny new phone.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
@Oxy-McFloppie-Tish
I like the look of the e208. We've had an electric mini for a couple of years but now looking to change - 100 miles range is too restrictive and we want something a bit bigger with 5 doors. Out of interest do you look at any others before choosing the e208? We're also looking at the VW ID.3 and Cupra Born.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
@Oxy-McFloppie-Tish
I like the look of the e208. We've had an electric mini for a couple of years but now looking to change - 100 miles range is too restrictive and we want something a bit bigger with 5 doors. Out of interest do you look at any others before choosing the e208? We're also looking at the VW ID.3 and Cupra Born.

Yes; top of our list was the Renault Zoe - we really liked our test drive, but there was a 4-6 month waiting list for the version we wanted. Next was the Nissan Leaf, but a big disappointment - it seemed to roll around, and made my wife feel sea-sick! But the same dealer suggested the Peugeot, and we fell in love with that. Again, we were told of a 4-6 month wait, but… they had a top of the range model that had been ordered for management, but was now available to buy immediately. So, we did the paperwork and don’t regret it! Quoted range is about 215 miles, and I don’t think we’d be far off 200 for local trips. Definitely give one a test drive!

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Sorry coming a bit late to this thread, however having just bought my first (used) EV last year wanted to give my perspective. They are expensive, even a 3 year old Tesla. However even if it was 2x more than I had ever paid for any car, I have not regretted it once. Only caveat is you should have parking with a plug. That said I still use just a normal socket and it is more than enough. Puts 72 miles on in 12 hours, which works great for the daily commute. I would only hesitate for those with on street parking, but depends on your access to fast charging. Long trips are really not an issue. Unless you normally drive without eating or taking bathroom break the difference is negligeable. The drive itself is really different in a positive way, effortless but with power to burn always available (mine is a bit excessive tbf). Plus the eco smugness, if properly repressed, is really enjoyable. I am really considering cancelling our flights to the UK this summer and driving, something I would have never done with our old diesel.
All this said, fully understand why many would be put off by the price. However waiting because they may improve does not make sense, judge them as any other car, as they are now they are already better, how much better can they get? (And mine is a 2018!!)

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
While we’re all waiting for news of a Defensive Midfield signing, my experience so far is:

I, who live in a mid-terrace and have no chance of charging at home or work, have switched to an electric car. Due to needing to fit a family of four in it, being on a budget and needing a certain degree of rear legroom, I have purchased the electric car with the lowest range on the market. A 2015 (gen 1) Nissan Leaf, which will do about 70/80 miles at city speeds, and about 60/65 miles on motorway trips. It cost me £6k.

I was going to get a BMW i3, but it failed the rear legroom test, which upset me coz the i3 was much more fun to drive and had longer range. The Leaf is comfortable and perfectly functional, but the experience is like driving most Japanese non-sports cars, all the controls are incredibly light and there’s no real ‘feel’ to the steering. The only upside is it has a certain “swooshiness” that comes with electrification that I find quite pleasing.

My job involves driving in my own vehicle, usually somewhere between 30-60 miles a day, so it’s getting charged daily. The upside of the small battery capacity is that it takes 20/22 minutes to go from completely empty to 98% charge.

The plan is to keep the vehicle for three years and then px it for something with more range. The vehicle has done quite a few longer trips with us too. We’ve been to Devon, London and Brighton at various points, and had no difficulty finding chargers using the Octopus Electroverse app, which I recommend wholeheartedly.

Running cost wise, tax is £0, insurance is £450pa, and we worked out that even using public chargers which cost an eye watering 79p per kWh, it’s costing about half what my diesel was costing me to run. If I could charge from home then my unit price would be 30.22p per kWh which would more than halve costs again.

Servicing involves checking the brake fluid and replacing the air filter (if needed).

When you can’t charge from home, you get to know the chargers near you, I’ve only once so far had to go to a different charging point than expected due to either a queue or the charger being broken.

In short, it’s doable, and with less grief than you might think. At first the range anxiety is crippling, but I’ve had a couple of occasions where the battery’s shown as empty, and its still got me to the charging point I’ve been heading for.

I’ve picked a tough start to electric life with the lowest range vehicle on the market, but it’s doing me proud, and I know that when it’s time to trade in, there will be an improvement in range, because there’s nothing on the market that’s worse.

If you know someone who only uses their car to pop to the supermarket, electric makes sense now, even if they don’t have a driveway. They can plug in while they’re shopping and the Leaf will be fully charged upon return.

I will make sure my next EV has a range of 200+ so I don’t have to stop quite so frequently on longer trips, but almost all of them currently on the market now do.

I really don’t miss spewing shite out the tailpipe, or watching my bank balance deplete at petrol stations. So far, so good.

Edit: I do roughly 25000 miles pa, so would class myself as moderate/heavy car user. (Sorry Stat)

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I will make sure my next EV has a range of 200+
If you continue to buy second hand, you can't go far wrong with the Renault Zoe. Zoe is being discontinued next year (with the introduction of Renault's next-gen EV's), but looking at your timing a Zoe that's "bought" new on Lease this year should be in the second hand market around the time you need to look. Mine's (ZE50 version) now 3 years old and I'm still seeing the same ranges I was getting when new. In some cases actually better range now, as I have 3 years worth of learning how to drive an EV behind me. Renault quote 240-ish range (summer), I've seen range equivalent well north of 250 on trips home from Uxbridge to Uckfield, which is mostly M25 running.

3 year old ZE50 Zoe's in today's market can be picked up for under £13k, which IMO is darn good value for money.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If you continue to buy second hand, you can't go far wrong with the Renault Zoe. Zoe is being discontinued next year (with the introduction of Renault's next-gen EV's), but looking at your timing a Zoe that's "bought" new on Lease this year should be in the second hand market around the time you need to look. Mine's (ZE50 version) now 3 years old and I'm still seeing the same ranges I was getting when new. In some cases actually better range now, as I have 3 years worth of learning how to drive an EV behind me. Renault quote 240-ish range (summer), I've seen range equivalent well north of 250 on trips home from Uxbridge to Uckfield, which is mostly M25 running.

3 year old ZE50 Zoe's in today's market can be picked up for under £13k, which IMO is darn good value for money.
Thank you very much for the heads up. My only concern over the Zoe is rear legroom, but I’ll march the whole gang down to the dealership, shove them in, and see if I’m getting complaints.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I had a Renault Zoe as a courtesy car recently and was surprised how much room there was inside - it was a bit of TARDIS.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What's the experience of electric cars when fully loaded - and I mean top box, full of people and the boot ramed too. I make my E220 estate work like a dog and holdiays see the car loaded right up. It occured to me when camping this year that no other cars on the campsite were electric, and I wondered if that was due to range impacts of a loaded up car.

I only ever see one or two people in an EV (mind you, could say that about all cars...). Does the range drop off dramatically when full? Ot is it to a similar margin that you would experience with an IC engine car?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
While we’re all waiting for news of a Defensive Midfield signing, my experience so far is:

I, who live in a mid-terrace and have no chance of charging at home or work, have switched to an electric car. Due to needing to fit a family of four in it, being on a budget and needing a certain degree of rear legroom, I have purchased the electric car with the lowest range on the market. A 2015 (gen 1) Nissan Leaf, which will do about 70/80 miles at city speeds, and about 60/65 miles on motorway trips. It cost me £6k.

I was going to get a BMW i3, but it failed the rear legroom test, which upset me coz the i3 was much more fun to drive and had longer range. The Leaf is comfortable and perfectly functional, but the experience is like driving most Japanese non-sports cars, all the controls are incredibly light and there’s no real ‘feel’ to the steering. The only upside is it has a certain “swooshiness” that comes with electrification that I find quite pleasing.

My job involves driving in my own vehicle, usually somewhere between 30-60 miles a day, so it’s getting charged daily. The upside of the small battery capacity is that it takes 20/22 minutes to go from completely empty to 98% charge.

The plan is to keep the vehicle for three years and then px it for something with more range. The vehicle has done quite a few longer trips with us too. We’ve been to Devon, London and Brighton at various points, and had no difficulty finding chargers using the Octopus Electroverse app, which I recommend wholeheartedly.

Running cost wise, tax is £0, insurance is £450pa, and we worked out that even using public chargers which cost an eye watering 79p per kWh, it’s costing about half what my diesel was costing me to run. If I could charge from home then my unit price would be 30.22p per kWh which would more than halve costs again.

Servicing involves checking the brake fluid and replacing the air filter (if needed).

When you can’t charge from home, you get to know the chargers near you, I’ve only once so far had to go to a different charging point than expected due to either a queue or the charger being broken.

In short, it’s doable, and with less grief than you might think. At first the range anxiety is crippling, but I’ve had a couple of occasions where the battery’s shown as empty, and its still got me to the charging point I’ve been heading for.

I’ve picked a tough start to electric life with the lowest range vehicle on the market, but it’s doing me proud, and I know that when it’s time to trade in, there will be an improvement in range, because there’s nothing on the market that’s worse.

If you know someone who only uses their car to pop to the supermarket, electric makes sense now, even if they don’t have a driveway. They can plug in while they’re shopping and the Leaf will be fully charged upon return.

I will make sure my next EV has a range of 200+ so I don’t have to stop quite so frequently on longer trips, but almost all of them currently on the market now do.

I really don’t miss spewing shite out the tailpipe, or watching my bank balance deplete at petrol stations. So far, so good.

Edit: I do roughly 25000 miles pa, so would class myself as moderate/heavy car user. (Sorry Stat)
I have an EV and I'm consuming 0.25kw per mile, if I was paying 79p kw that would circa 20p / mile. My old Diesel costs 15p / mile in fuel. So I reckon 60p is the break even for public charging at least for my car. The cheapest public charger I've found is 25p at a local supermarket.

I really love the EV and the way it drives but I think to really make it work economically you need home charging. Currently, I can charge off peak with Octopus Intelligent for 7.5p/kw for 6 hours off peak, comes out at 2p a mile.

The other thing I've noticed about public chargers is so many are only 7 or 11 kw/h, friggin slow. We have some Instavolt ones near us @ 185kw/h rate, but 85p kw, geeze...

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What's the experience of electric cars when fully loaded - and I mean top box, full of people and the boot ramed too. I make my E220 estate work like a dog and holdiays see the car loaded right up. It occured to me when camping this year that no other cars on the campsite were electric, and I wondered if that was due to range impacts of a loaded up car.
I've seen footage of them towing something and out running petrol motors.

The only wheelspin I have heard being overtaken on my bike was from a Tesla. The acceleration is nuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here