Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Electoral fraud

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are wrong if a customer doesnt have a passport or driving licence there are other ways of proving who you are financial institutions cant demand a 70 year old pay for a passport or apply to drive for example. The ID scheme was a great idea but it got abandoned for some bizarre reason. More and more places demand photo ID though even getting into a pub on west street so it is ID through the back door.

Wrong. TSB refused to pay my 84 yr old StepMum the £17 odd my Dad left in an account when he died. She had her marriage certificate, birth certificate, my Dad's death certificate, a utility bill, and a bus pass with her photo on it.
I complained to the manager and got nowhere. That £17 something is still there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Need to discourage any form of transport other than walking. The energy used to build buses and then, even if they are electric, the resources to keep them running.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I'm not anti-climate not anti-human - just realistic. I'd be very happy for the world to sort climate change today but it isn't actually possible.

So I'll ask you the question again - what would you do if you were PM ? And I mean things that could actually realistically be done ? Here's some ideas ( although how realistic they are is questionable ) :

> Ban gas fired central heating within 5 years
> Ban mobile networks from offering handset updates every two years. Instead you only pay for access and use of the network. You want a new handset then you have to pay the full price for a new handset ( ~£1000 ) and no payment plans are allowed.
> All flights have a 500% tax added to the price of the ticket
> Cruise liners are banned immediately
> Everyone with a garden has to plant at least three trees
> All supermarkets have to remove 90% of plastic packaging by 2025
> All households are rationed to a certain amount of electricity, gas and water per month
> All buses have to become electric by 2025
> All students pay council tax, this will provide more tax to councils for climate change activities as well as reduce council tax bills for current payers thus freeing up their income to pay more income tax to pay for national climate change activities
> Add a £5 charge to the coffee cups places like Starbucks use that can't be recycled
> Double bus fares
> Ban the import of fruit and veg
> Ban the rearing of animals for meat

Feel free to add some other policies .....

Quite apart from the morality of starving and/or freezing the poor to death, which would at least "reduce the surplus population" as Mr. Scrooge eloquently put it ...

Why limit water? Water is the one resource that is infinitely recycled. You can't destroy it. Whatever you do with water, it remains water and will go round the system again and again. Leave water out of your rationing.

Have you already done all those things yourself? Not the money ones, necessarily, but have you already turned off your central heating, refused to travel anywhere or go on holiday, gone vegetarian eating only UK produced veg, planted your trees, and so on?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Really?

I am currently in a nightmarish situation where I am having to prove to my bank that I am not an American citizen. If I can't do it they are threatening to close my account. So far I have taken in my passport and my birth certificate - still waiting to hear if that is enough.

Are you saying that if I say "I would like to make a complaint" all this will go away?

He is, but it won't.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wrong. TSB refused to pay my 84 yr old StepMum the £17 odd my Dad left in an account when he died. She had her marriage certificate, birth certificate, my Dad's death certificate, a utility bill, and a bus pass with her photo on it.

A scenario that is familiar to many bank customers. Some people, of course, insist on 'knowing' it's all lies. :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Quite apart from the morality of starving and/or freezing the poor to death, which would at least "reduce the surplus population" as Mr. Scrooge eloquently put it ...

Why limit water? Water is the one resource that is infinitely recycled. You can't destroy it. Whatever you do with water, it remains water and will go round the system again and again. Leave water out of your rationing.

Have you already done all those things yourself? Not the money ones, necessarily, but have you already turned off your central heating, refused to travel anywhere or go on holiday, gone vegetarian eating only UK produced veg, planted your trees, and so on?

I think you need to read back and read Plooks posts. My suggestions are tongue in cheek ones based on Plooks desire to do ANYTHING regardless of cost or consequence to stop climate change. I posted them to try and encourage him to detail what he thinks should be done that is realistic and practical. Also to try and get out of him what he is willing to sacrifice personally as he constantly blames everyone else for the problem and has yet to admit he is part of the problem - as we all are.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think you need to read back and read Plooks posts. My suggestions are tongue in cheek ones based on Plooks desire to do ANYTHING regardless of cost or consequence to stop climate change. I posted them to try and encourage him to detail what he thinks should be done that is realistic and practical. Also to try and get out of him what he is willing to sacrifice personally as he constantly blames everyone else for the problem and has yet to admit he is part of the problem - as we all are.

And therein lies the problem. The reality is that very few of us, despite much virtue-signalling, are prepared to make the genuine sacrifices needed for drastic action. A silly example; I was very late putting the black bin out and caught up with the dustmen who kindly waited for me. As my black (not the recycling, of course) bin was tipped in, I could hear the sound of broken bottles. I said to the chap -was that the sound of bottles, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that people have been told so many times about where to put the bottles, but just ignore it. And the car which parks the closest so as to minimise the walk to school near us? Yes, you've guessed it! It's the one with the Extinction Rebellion sticker on the back. . .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have to say, your argument is all over the place. But I’ll reply to the specific piece I have highlighted. Yes, we all are, but some more than others.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I have to say, your argument is all over the place. But I’ll reply to the specific piece I have highlighted. Yes, we all are, but some more than others.

And how many flights a year do you take between Germany and the UK ..... and back again ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Your point being?

My point being, and for once I'm in agreement with Plooks, EVERYONE needs to stop using services etc that emit CO2 - problem being most people aren't prepared to do so. So, are you prepared to stop your flying ? Many would suggest that flying to go to a football match is somewhat unnecessary.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My point being, and for once I'm in agreement with Plooks, EVERYONE needs to stop using services etc that emit CO2 - problem being most people aren't prepared to do so. So, are you prepared to stop your flying ? Many would suggest that flying to go to a football match is somewhat unnecessary.

Given everything we do or use has a CO2 footprint your idea we stop everything is daft and an impossible, unrealistic and unworkable goal. And many things we all do are unnecessary; eg you also contribute CO2 going to a football matches. What is more realistic is to lower our impact within accepted limits. With this in mind, I’m happy with the level of CO2 I contribute.

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

The next step is the FCA or even just the threat of that where you will win if you are telling the truth. The bad banks bank on you giving up a complaint if you actually went through an official complaint would cost them more than £17 so I doubt you said the magic words. Moaning doesnt equal a complaint actually saying it does and you will be put through to a complaint team. A manager of the call centre doesnt mean shit they just want to move you on.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
A scenario that is familiar to many bank customers. Some people, of course, insist on 'knowing' it's all lies. :facepalm:

He has taken the lies from a bad experience and is now touting it as an industry standard and wont listen to advice. I can give you anecdotes in every industry of a bad customer experience.:facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The next step is the FCA or even just the threat of that where you will win if you are telling the truth. The bad banks bank on you giving up a complaint if you actually went through an official complaint would cost them more than £17 so I doubt you said the magic words. Moaning doesnt equal a complaint actually saying it does and you will be put through to a complaint team. A manager of the call centre doesnt mean shit they just want to move you on.

It wasn't a call centre. It was face to face with the branch manager

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Given everything we do or use has a CO2 footprint your idea we stop everything is daft and an impossible, unrealistic and unworkable goal. And many things we all do are unnecessary; eg you also contribute CO2 going to a football matches. What is more realistic is to lower our impact within accepted limits. With this in mind, I’m happy with the level of CO2 I contribute.

Yes, we all need to do more, as you rightly say. And in another post you lament the fact that some cause more than others. So, whilst I can fully understand your wish to fly over regularly to see family and the Albion, it is very hypocritical of you then to confirm that you are happy with the level of CO2 you contribute, as you must clearly contribute more than most punters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here