Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Electoral fraud

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
To quote you, "if a customer doesn't have a passport or driving licence there are other ways of proving who you are" - that is true - but financial institutions (and car dealers) can and do refuse to accept them, and refuse to provide you with a service. These are just the examples that have happened to me. Doubtless there are others.

I agree with you, though, that we do have ID through the back door.

I work for a financial institution regulated by the FCA

I will give you the magic words if you ever have a problem with ID. "I would like to make a complaint" you were talking about banks now you bring in car dealers FFS

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I know it takes time but it is simply not happening is it!? We have already had DECADES to stop using coal and oil and use green energy but we have not done it. Oh, and at some point VERY soon the ONLY option will be to shut them off tomorrow if we don't do something radical immediately!
I really do not think people are grasping the situation properly.

We just need to destabalise the oil producing countries and take it for ourselves at a cheap price....oh

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I will give you the magic words if you ever have a problem with ID. "I would like to make a complaint" you were talking about banks now you bring in car dealers FFS

Car dealers were in my first post on this subject.

Now I have turned 70 and have been compelled to have a photo driving licence I know longer have the problem - but I am alarmed at the number of businesses which now demand the right to see (and photocopy) it. But if I didn't want to be prosecuted for having a car with no MOT (and no realistic chance of ever getting one) parked in the street outside my house, I had to agree to it.

And unfortunately I have to tell you, from personal experience before hitting the three score years and ten mark, that the magic words don't work. The counter-spell is 'money laundering' (as in 'we are obliged to prevent it').i

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A large number of people over the age of 80 no longer has a passport or driving licence. Including people in care homes. Pretty sure they are trying it.

So by definition they wouldn't be trying to sell, scrap or hire a car, would they? Or trying to get into the Amex when PB has his next purge on people lending an ST to their mate........

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Car dealers were in my first post on this subject.

Now I have turned 70 and have been compelled to have a photo driving licence I know longer have the problem - but I am alarmed at the number of businesses which now demand the right to see (and photocopy) it. But if I didn't want to be prosecuted for having a car with no MOT (and no realistic chance of ever getting one) parked in the street outside my house, I had to agree to it.

And unfortunately I have to tell you, from personal experience before hitting the three score years and ten mark, that the magic words don't work. The counter-spell is 'money laundering' (as in 'we are obliged to prevent it').i

I am not as old as you but still have a paper licence you are talking shit nobody will say money laundering to you because they arent allowed to tip you off. However a complaint has to be processed so listen to what I am telling you. You dont have to have a photo licence till it expires i guess it did for you.

I still own a car without ever having a photo licence re car dealers

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am not as old as you but still have a paper licence you are talking shit nobody will say money laundering to you because they arent allowed to tip you off. However a complaint has to be processed so listen to what I am telling you.
If you are calling me a liar, you can piss right off. I am relating actual events which I have personally experienced. Companies (including HSBC) have stated they can't do something without having photo ID because of the need to protect against money laundering - "it's policy".

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
If you are calling me a liar, you can piss right off. I am relating actual events which I have personally experienced. Companies (including HSBC) have stated they can't do something without having photo ID because of the need to protect against money laundering - "it's policy".

You are a an idiot because you arent listening to me if you said to HSBC i would like to make a complaint it would go away and if they said no then go to the FCA. You are pretending to be an expert on your own failed anecdotes and you dont work in this industry. On top of that you are pretending to advise other people.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So by definition they wouldn't be trying to sell, scrap or hire a car, would they? Or trying to get into the Amex when PB has his next purge on people lending an ST to their mate........

But to go back to the original premise, they might be trying to vote. And they don't have any form of the statutory ID.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are a an idiot because you arent listening to me if you said to HSBC i would like to make a complaint it would go away and if they said no then go to the FCA. You are pretending to be an expert on your own failed anecdotes and you dont work in this industry. On top of that you are pretending to advise other people.

I am not pretending to be an expert at all. I'm an ordinary bloke who doesn't know all the twists and turns of everything who suffers at the hands of bigger corporations with 'policies' laid down at HQ that they adhere to, who look at complaints and come up with the response that their policies are reasonable. As well not having photo ID (even though I had a paper licence, stacks of proof of residence (and a bus pass which does have a photo!) these did not constitute satisfactory ID, so tough luck chum. And no, I don't work in your industry; I am a customer of it, and at the mercy of its dictats.

Now, you've called me an idiot, you've falsely claimed that I have been giving advice to other people, which is bollox, and you've come as close as you can without actually using the exact words to calling me a liar. Frankly, that's more than enough crap from you, so sod off. I'm out of this 'discussion' - I'll leave you to wallow in your unshakeable belief that what I have accurately reported can't have happened.

:shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know it takes time but it is simply not happening is it!? We have already had DECADES to stop using coal and oil and use green energy but we have not done it. Oh, and at some point VERY soon the ONLY option will be to shut them off tomorrow if we don't do something radical immediately!
I really do not think people are grasping the situation properly.

So the new wind farm off the Sussex coast with plans to double it's size in the next few years, the plans for a wind farm off Cardiff, Liverpool, Kent and Scotland are things 'not happening'. Along with the new nuclear powerstation being built is things 'not happening'. They might not be happening as fast as you would like but building this kind infrastructure does take time. Yes, it should have been done ten years ago but as nobody except Dr Who can turn back the clock we need to work in the here and now.

So now your policy of just turning off coal and gas power stations now has hit a stumbling block what other proposals do you have should you ever become PM ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

If I complained every time I was asked for ID by a financial or legal institution due to 'money laundering' I'd be spending hours of my life doing so. Quite frankly I have better things to do with my time. If as you state, they shouldn't be using such a term/excuse, then maybe the financial institutions should be training their staff better rather than relying on customers complaining. But then they don't have a very good record of caring about the customer do they ? Equally they employ a lot of brain dead robots that like the phrase "Computer says no".

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

Really?

I am currently in a nightmarish situation where I am having to prove to my bank that I am not an American citizen. If I can't do it they are threatening to close my account. So far I have taken in my passport and my birth certificate - still waiting to hear if that is enough.

Are you saying that if I say "I would like to make a complaint" all this will go away?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
that premise will be addressed by making it an obligation to have the ID and tie it to citizenship, national insurance.

They tried this before didn't they, was it the Blair government, and there was huge public opposition to it I recall. Ironically enough mainly from the right-wing small-government types who don't want interference from the state in their lives. Will they support it now that it might prevent a lot of the riff-raff from voting?

Of course bringing in a national ID card is only one step, to make producing it compulsory to vote will presumably be challenged at the supreme court, its an interesting legal conundrum

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
They tried this before didn't they, was it the Blair government, and there was huge public opposition to it I recall. Ironically enough mainly from the right-wing small-government types who don't want interference from the state in their lives. Will they support it now that it might prevent a lot of the riff-raff from voting?

Of course bringing in a national ID card is only one step, to make producing it compulsory to vote will presumably be challenged at the supreme court, its an interesting legal conundrum

I've always thought it a bit bizarre you didn't need id when voting. You need bloody id to go to Palace away but not to choose a new Government. Probably just me but I always thought it strange

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You love twisting words to suit your anti-climate and anti-human agenda don't you!
Look at the emissions curves and you can see nothing is being done. Stuff in the pipeline is not helping now! And it has NOTHING to do with how fast I would like it done, it is about how fast it HAS to be done.

I'm not anti-climate not anti-human - just realistic. I'd be very happy for the world to sort climate change today but it isn't actually possible.

So I'll ask you the question again - what would you do if you were PM ? And I mean things that could actually realistically be done ? Here's some ideas ( although how realistic they are is questionable ) :

> Ban gas fired central heating within 5 years
> Ban mobile networks from offering handset updates every two years. Instead you only pay for access and use of the network. You want a new handset then you have to pay the full price for a new handset ( ~£1000 ) and no payment plans are allowed.
> All flights have a 500% tax added to the price of the ticket
> Cruise liners are banned immediately
> Everyone with a garden has to plant at least three trees
> All supermarkets have to remove 90% of plastic packaging by 2025
> All households are rationed to a certain amount of electricity, gas and water per month
> All buses have to become electric by 2025
> All students pay council tax, this will provide more tax to councils for climate change activities as well as reduce council tax bills for current payers thus freeing up their income to pay more income tax to pay for national climate change activities
> Add a £5 charge to the coffee cups places like Starbucks use that can't be recycled
> Double bus fares
> Ban the import of fruit and veg
> Ban the rearing of animals for meat

Feel free to add some other policies .....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So the new wind farm off the Sussex coast with plans to double it's size in the next few years, the plans for a wind farm off Cardiff, Liverpool, Kent and Scotland are things 'not happening'. Along with the new nuclear powerstation being built is things 'not happening'. They might not be happening as fast as you would like but building this kind infrastructure does take time. Yes, it should have been done ten years ago but as nobody except Dr Who can turn back the clock we need to work in the here and now.

So now your policy of just turning off coal and gas power stations now has hit a stumbling block what other proposals do you have should you ever become PM ?

The Rampion wind farm hasn't worked for weeks, so they need to get that sorted out before they double its size.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here