Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elder set to start, Murray on the bench...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Unless you know all the facts behind the scenes, it's impossible to make an informed judgement. Why would the club pay £300,000 and put him on the bench for the fun of it? There must be reasons.

In any case, Wilkins doesn't say its a definite decision. Maybe he was bowling Naylor a googly....

We'll see.
If he does start with Murray it will be because he reads NSC and was scared of the MASSIVE backlash from the fans. Obviously.

If Elder starts but does not play well, will Naylor be firstly able to blame this on Dick Knight and secondly manage to mention McGhee with reference to this?

Nathan Elder looked seriously out of his depth yesterday, as he AGAIN failed to find the target. Serious questions must now be asked of Dick Knight, who sanctioned the outlandish purchase 12 months ago, and must now be held to account for his failure. The fans are still at his back following his outlandish decision to axe nearly-new-Scotland boss Mark McGhee 18 months ago. McGhee has since gone on to super-stardom with Motherwell, and was almost appointed Scotland boss last week.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Elder starts but does not play well, will Naylor be firstly able to blame this on Dick Knight and secondly manage to mention McGhee with reference to this?

Wilkins frustrated by Sixfields stalemate
by Andy Naylor

Northampton 0-0 Albion

Albion boss Dean Wilkins was again left frustrated by his sides's failure to turn dominance into three points. The decision to leave new £300,000 striker Glenn Murray on the bench, looked a wise one, as Nathan Elder looked threatening from the outset.

Unfortunately Elder, clearly showing the effects of months of pent up frustration, at being overlooked by WIlkins, presumably at the behest of Dick Knight, blazed Albion's best chance over the bar from four inches out.

advertisement

It was the kind of moment every striker dreads - from the hopeful first year pro, right up to strikers of true class, who have had successful careers playing at clubs like Aberdeen and Newcastle, before succesfully turning their hands to management, then being unfairly and unceremoniously dumped by a desperate and small minded chairman in a knee jerk reaction to fans grumbling.

After that moment the Albion pressed forward, and whilst enjoying the lion's share of possession, lacked any real drive from midfield. How they could have done with skipper Dean Hammond, serving the second of his three match ban.

Hammond now seems certain to leave the club before the close of the transfer window, after the true scale of the chairman's disdain for the player emerged. Sources close to the club revealed that not only did Knight not choose Hammond's name and number when buying a replica shirt for his grandson at Christmas, but also that he failed to contribute to an envelope going round the club for a house warming present.

Hammond's new abode is now home to a Tefal two-slice toaster, which while well recieved, will have let the player know in no uncertain terms, in what regard he is held by the club's hierachy. A George Foreman SuperGrill takes pride of place in the Forster family kitchen, and Hammond will know this.

Hammond's agent yesterday commented "as we have made clear all along Dean wants to stay at the club. At the same time he is ambitious, and unless the club matches his ambitions he will be forced to seek out higher level kitchen appliances elsewhere."

What kitchen appliance do you think Hammond deserved?
Add your comments below;

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Anyone know what squad number murrays going to be given?

I believe Murray had '17' at Rochdale, which coincidentally is available here now that Bas has left to make his fortune elsewhere! Players like keeping the same number don't they?!?!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
My first reaction was Wilkins is being a dick.

However, having thought about it, it's probably a fair call. Elder has deserved a chance all season. It would totally destroy his belief if Revell gets injured and we put a new player straight in, then give Elder his usual 2 minutes at the end. This way, Elder knows it's his last chance. If he doesn't perform, then by the time he's back in the reckoning he will have Forster, Murray, and Revell ahead of him - no chance of getting back in then. Personally, I would have given Elder his chance weeks ago at the expense of Revell, but as that hasn't happened I think this is the best decision Wilkins could have made. What would have annoyed me is seeing Revell start over Murray, as Revell has more than had his chance. This way, the worst that can happen is Elder has an awful hour and we get Murray on. The best is that Elder grasps his last chance and scores.

So the Revell that scored 5 goals in the first 3 games post Savage, should have been dropped if he was fit?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So the Revell that scored 5 goals in the first 3 games post Savage, should have been dropped if he was fit?

Of course he should you FOOL. WE have a chance to replace him with somebody on a similar good scoring run a league below.

Oh.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Therefore there's a point to playing Elder, what possibly point is there in playing Revell over Murray?

[Ignoring Revell's injury]

Revell has been training all week, Murray has not.

Revell knows his team-mates, whereas Murray has met them ONCE.

Both are in a good scoring run.

Is that okay?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, because he has played enough games for us to know what he can offer. There is no way that you would play Revell over a £300k signing. My point about Elder was that he hasn't had that chance, so if you play Murray ahead of him tomorrow you are effectively telling him he is fourth choice, has no chance of playing, and will have to wait for an injury/suspension to even get on the BENCH. I don't think that's fair, so as such if Wilkins plays him tomorrow then at least he has had his chance. If he performs brilliantly, he'll stay in. If he's rubbish, then it's all over. At least we would know. Therefore there's a point to playing Elder, what possibly point is there in playing Revell over Murray?

If Revell was fit he should start, aside from peoples views on him and I tend to agree with your ramblings that generally he is a lot of effort with limited end product, he is in form and so should, if fit, had kept the skirt.

Regarding Elder, well he is not good enough, simple really, but if by giving him a couple of games, this puts that argument to bed, then fine.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I refer the right hon badger to the point I made on the dwayneepoos thread

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here