Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El- Turi not a target man

Stumpy Tim said:
I think his point is that if there are five players ahead of him in the pecking order who play the same way then we are unlikely ever to see him. May have gone over your head, but I'm happy to explain

That's right Simply, and the striking pecking order always remains constant at the Albion, doesn't it? Remind me where McPhee was in that pecking order a few weeks ago? :shootself

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
London Irish said:
That's right Simply, and the striking pecking order always remains constant at the Albion, doesn't it? Remind me where McPhee was in that pecking order a few weeks ago? :shootself

He was on loan at Aldershot.

McGhee has always featured McPhee when he has been fit.

Probably as he sees him as the only striker that is different to the others and the only striker that can play the target man role.

fatboy said:
He was on loan at Aldershot.

McGhee has always featured McPhee when he has been fit.

Probably as he sees him as the only striker that is different to the others and the only striker that can play the target man role.

If what you are saying is that McPhee has always been at the top, or near the top, of McGhee's pecking order of strikers, then I commend your optimistic faith in the player.

I, on the other hand, feel that he has got his chance because certain weaknesses have been shown up in other players.

I don't know if I dare mention McCammon to a Big Mac anti-fan such as yourself, but I think your points on McPhee also apply to him, generally McGhee has always involved Big Mac when he has been fit. Certainly at the beginning of the season, Big Mac was very low in the pecking order but worked his way up very quickly until injury struck. I suspect he will get his chance again shortly.

The point is, pecking order can be very fluent thing when McGhee is shuffling his pack of cards to find effective combinations. El Turi may be part of that reshuffle, or he may become another Molango, it is too early to tell.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On the BBC sport website MM says the Argie is not the target man he is looking for and wants a new striker brought into the club during the January window. Does this mean we paid out a reported £150k for a dud striker? If Chris McPhee is in the starting lineup tomorrow we should be singing "oh chris mcphee, oh chris mcphee are you bumming mark mcghee". I hope that Trolley comes back into contention and he proves a revelation as he will be committing 100% to get a contract renewal.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
Aren't you the guy from that other thread who said we should see a bit more of Fed before making our mind up on him?
Yes. So if we're not going to see him, then he's a waste of money, no?

Simster said:
Yes. So if we're not going to see him, then he's a waste of money.

If your premise is correct, then yes, he'll be a failure. But we don't know whether your premise IS correct! We don't know for sure we are not going to see him just because McGhee is doubtful of his ability to play a certain role in one kind of gameplan.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew I could rely on you to put me straight on all matters Albion. Especially those tricky concepts such as "what if things change".

Again, many thanks. :clap:

Am I allowed to take the piss out of players on this message board yet, or is that not the done thing among all the intelligent posters on this board, like you, Icy, you and you? ???

Simster said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I knew I could rely on you to put me straight on all matters Albion. Especially those tricky concepts such as "what if things change".

Again, many thanks. :clap:

Am I allowed to take the piss out of players on this message board yet, or is that not the done thing among all the intelligent posters on this board, like you, Icy, you and you? ???

Very dull Simper - I hope your pisstaking jokes against Albion players are better :clap: :clap: :clap:

You really yearn to hear the same "joke" about El Turi's agent and McCammon the Trolley, oh, about five-hundred times? It bores the arse off me and I hope your delicate little sensitivities can cope with me saying that :)

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
to take the piss out of the players you surely need a catheter ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
Very dull Simper - I hope your pisstaking jokes against Albion players are better :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'll let you make your own mind up on that one, plastic spastic. :thumbsup:

Simster said:
I'll let you make your own mind up on that one, plastic spastic. :thumbsup:

If they're all going to be of the quality of "plastic spastic", then we're all in for a hellava thrilling ride.

Simster said:
Yes, Simper was much funnier. :rolleyes:

Ah, but you'll never find me complaining that you call me childish, unfunny names, the more the merrier, and I'll give 'em back to you too, as many as I can think of. You see, there's the difference - I don't claim to be a supporter of you, nor you me.

So when (some) Brighton "supporters" constantly churn out witless, tedious baiting of our own players, even more than most Palace fans would ever dream of indulging in, that's when it all becomes a big :yawn:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At least the focus in the transfer window is fairly and squarely on getting in a target man. Nothing else will do. We're more or less OK in all other departments on the park. I mean, two more wins instead of draws this season and we'd be mid-table. We didn't have a proper target man last season either, but Adam Virgo papered over the cracks. Given a decent Cup draw at the weekend, and hence a bit of revenue generation, it has to be worth investing that little bit more in a proven goalscorer. And yes they do exist within our budget. No more 'ones for the future' til the Summertime please.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
London Irish said:
From what little I've seen of Fed (Lewes and his few sub appearances), he didn't look physical enough to cope with balls fired at him, he's looks more of a Leon Knight player who strengths are using ball worked into his feet in deeper-lying positions. So I don't think McGhee is saying Fed is a waste of money, simply that he will need to be found a different role - and you can't really see him displacing Knight from that job for the team.

I seem to remember MM saying that El Turi "offers us something we do not currently have." It stuck in my mind at the time (when we signed him) because I didn't understand what he meant by that, and unfortunately I still don't.

You are comparing him to Knight (?), well that can't be what h meant.

Target man? Well we have Trolley and it turns out he's not a target man anyway.

So what did he mean? Maybe he meant he was a guy who will show some promise but not enough to make the side. Nope we have that already as well, and he's on loan at Lincoln at the moment.

I've feared it for a while, Turienzo is looking like a god-awful waste of more cash than we can spare.

Stumpy Tim

London Irish said:

"Simply" - that's hilarious. Well done.

That wasn't either Sims or my point. Sim said that IF El Turo remains 5th in the pecking order then he would be a waste of money. My point was that this was what Sim was saying. Please listen carefully next time.

As an extension to that, if your pea-sized brain can take it all in, the attacking pecking order does change occasionally. However, one constant this season is that El Turo has been number 5 at all times. So in his case it hasn't changed at all.

I would be more than happy to take questions if this is too much for you to understand.

cardboard said:
From BBC.co.uk

"The difference between us winning games comfortably and drawing is not in tactics, it's in personnel," he added.

Defining that, it suggests that the reason our lads are not burying the ball in the back of the net, is because of their personality.

I don't subscribe to that point of view personally, I often wonder why a couple of our players fall slightly short of banging the ball into that rectangular piece of simple real-estate called 'goal', and think that it can be trained into these football players to be able to do exactly that without 30seconds to tee the ball up and carefully aim.

Stumpy Tim said:
"Simply" - that's hilarious. Well done.

Bozza actually came up with that one when you were making some ridiculous criticisms of Ask the Club and Insider, so he really deserves the credit for that, not me, I'm just borrowing it :clap:

Stumpy Tim said:
the attacking pecking order does change occasionally.

If you'd been paying any attention to the Albion this season, you'll know our striking pecking order has changed constantly. I can only assume you haven't been paying any attention whatsoever.

Stumpy Tim

London Irish said:
Bozza actually came up with that one when you were making some ridiculous criticisms of Ask the Club and Insider, so he really deserves the credit for that, not me, I'm just borrowing it :clap:

If you'd been paying any attention to the Albion this season, you'll know our striking pecking order has changed constantly. I can only assume you haven't been paying any attention whatsoever.

Hang on - my exact words were "the attacking pecking order does change occasionally. However, one constant this season is that El Turo has been number 5 at all times. So in his case it hasn't changed at all. " So I DID say the pecking order has changed.

You clearly haven't been paying any attention to what I say. PLEASE KEEP UP YOU DIMWIT

The truth is that apart from Leon's recent spat he has been the number 1 striker. Jake & CKR have been battling our for number 2, until recently when McPhee has come in. So in truth for most of the season three players have been playing in two spots - that's not constant change. Trolley is injured. El Turo has never come close to starting

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here