Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El- Turi not a target man

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
From BBC.co.uk

McGhee targets signing of striker

Brighton manager Mark McGhee feels the signing of a physical centre-forward is an essential if the Seagulls are to move up the Championship table.
He told BBC Southern Counties Radio: "Chris McPhee has been more of a target man, but we've been looking for that since the day I got here.

"We thought Federico Turienzo would be - but he isn't. So we've got to keep looking," the Albion boss added.

McGhee now hopes to bring in new faces during the January transfer window.

"The difference between us winning games comfortably and drawing is not in tactics, it's in personnel," he added.

"We need one or two players to come in who are better - and can turn our good performances into victories."

Meanwhile, on-loan Manchester United defender Paul McShane is to return to Withdean despite his ankle injury - and hopes to play some part over the Christmas period.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Is Turienzo going to be our Peter Crouch?

If so, I hope its the Crouch of last year rather than the Crouching Peter Hidden Talent at liverpool

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Referee!!! said:
Waste of money. Well done McGhee :rolleyes:

...and you've NEVER made a bad purchase in your life?

MaGoo OUT! :angry:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Referee!!! said:
Waste of money. Well done McGhee :rolleyes:

Yeah that McGhee is bloody aweful....

Currie FREE
Carole FREE
Frutos FREE
Henderson Great Loan
McShane Great Loan

Last edited:

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Lawro's Lip said:
Just as well we didn't think he was a goalkeeper!

No - it was Chaigneau we thought was a goalkeeper...

(sorry, don't want to join in the pointless McGhee-bashing, just saw a cheap shot and took it)

I reckon McGhee has very exacting standards of what constitutes a targetman. I seem to recall McCammon also fell out of his definition when McGhee judged that his hold-up and lay-off work wasn't accurate enough.

From what little I've seen of Fed (Lewes and his few sub appearances), he didn't look physical enough to cope with balls fired at him, he's looks more of a Leon Knight player who strengths are using ball worked into his feet in deeper-lying positions. So I don't think McGhee is saying Fed is a waste of money, simply that he will need to be found a different role - and you can't really see him displacing Knight from that job for the team.

McGhee does deserve to be criticised for getting signings wrong, but only in the context of recognising the limited transfer market he is working in and of course his many achievements in that hard market.

I prefer to point out that McGhee doesn't bullshit anyone, either himself or the fans. If a player isn't making the grade, he will act decisively and look for alternatives rather than kid himself, as some weaker managers might do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
So I don't think McGhee is saying Fed is a waste of money, simply that he will need to be found a different role - and you can't really see him displacing Knight from that job for the team.
Yeah, a role we already have 5 other players capable of playing. So yes, a total f***ing waste of money. :rolleyes:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It looks like a waste of money but in reality the amount we paid is peanuts, it just hurts cos we are so skint.

When you look at the Djemba Djembas and Jeffers of this world it hardly even registers.

Mark thought it was worth the gamble and Im more than happy to let it go considering the quality he has bought in on no money.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Albion Dan said:
It looks like a waste of money but in reality the amount we paid is peanuts, it just hurts cos we are so skint.

Hence why we have to be a little careful when spending 150k + wages - doing so on the basis of one friendly, in which he was by all accounts somewhat underwhelming, hardly seems prudent.

Simster said:
Yeah, a role we already have 5 other players capable of playing. So yes, a total f***ing waste of money. :rolleyes:

Aren't you the guy from that other thread who said we should see a bit more of Fed before making our mind up on him?

Repugnant Toad said:
Hence why we have to be a little careful when spending 150k + wages - doing so on the basis of one friendly, in which he was by all accounts somewhat underwhelming, hardly seems prudent.

Disagree - we have to license McGhee to take calculated risks. Some will pay off, some won't - that's the real "reality" of the situation we are in. If El Turi turns out to be a duffer, too bad, I still want McGhee to back his judgement on the next "underdeveloped" player he looks at.

The other side of the story is people moaning McGhee didn't bring anyone in before last week's loan window. Cake and eating it springs to mind.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
All this debate is fine, at the end of the day if he gets himself up for it and plays the last 10 games of the season and scores 5 goals to keep us up who cares if he cost 150k????

Stumpy Tim

London Irish said:
Aren't you the guy from that other thread who said we should see a bit more of Fed before making our mind up on him?

I think his point is that if there are five players ahead of him in the pecking order who play the same way then we are unlikely ever to see him. May have gone over your head, but I'm happy to explain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here