Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford - Albion legend - Lewes Meeting

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Spielberg said:
Apparently Sussex Express did a website poll which said 58/42 in favour of LDC and they thought the Argus were misrepresenting Lewes residents.

Yeah, because that poll is going to be completely impartial isn't it?

Uncle Spielberg said:
LDC guy said the alternative sites should be Toads Hole Valley or Sheepcote Valley :nono:

Fortunately facts like that are irrelevant to the JR so if they've got nothing better they are up shit creek.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Uncle Spielberg said:
Ed's was the best speech of the whole meeting, he just ripped LDC apart in what they are doing, unfortunately I had to sit on the other side of the room with the enemy but when Ed finished I let out my loudest possible applause, like cheering in the Palace end when Brighton score and I did I love it :clap:

did you start chanting 'easy easy easy'?

:clap:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The pro Falmer where on the left and the anti's on the right, unfortunately I was sat with them with 1 other pro Falmer but tut tutted lots of time to LDC and the moment of Ed's sppech

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
was a subliminal moment just wonderful, Ann De Vecchi looked more and more uncomfortable as it went on

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
so are they def going through with this vJR??? im lost...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Spielberg said:
was a subliminal moment just wonderful, Ann De Vecchi looked more and more uncomfortable as it went on
Surely you mean SUBLIME, GG.

Surely.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Uncle Spielberg said:
Apparently Sussex Express did a website poll which said 58/42 in favour of LDC and they thought the Argus were misrepresenting Lewes residents.

What Gimps - they've even got the percentages the wrong way round!

www.sussexexpress.co.uk

'Vote :Is Lewes District Council right to seek a judicial review over the Falmer stadium decision 42% Yes 58% No

Oh, and you can still vote...

Last edited:

Man of Harveys said:
What did he say? Not word for word, just the gist.
I don't do gist.

You'll get word for word:-

Thank you, Chair.

I find myself standing here this afternoon in a state of astonishment.

I’m here to present a petition to the Council, objecting in the strongest possible terms, to this Council committing any further expenditure in pursuit of a challenge to the Government’s decision to grant planning permission for the community stadium in Brighton.

This petition will, I am sure, come as no surprise to members of the Council. You have all received many letters and e-mails since the Cabinet Committee took its decision, thirteen days ago, to go to the High Court and start proceedings against the First Secretary of State.

So, members of the Council, you may not be particularly astonished.

But I am.

The first thing that astonishes me is that, with little over one week to rally support among residents of the district, we have managed to collect 5,165 signatures. From Lewes residents.

5,165. That is more people than signed the petition organised by Norman Baker and Lewes Liberal Democrats against the incinerator plans for Newhaven.

That in itself is an astounding fact.

But even more astonishing is that, if it hadn’t have been for the people of the district, this highly contentious decision of the Cabinet would not have found its way on to the Agenda of this Council meeting.

Because of the timescale set out in the Town and Country Planning Act, the question of a High Court challenge is deemed to be such an urgent matter that it has to be pushed quickly through the Cabinet Committee, meeting in secret, with no opportunity for members of the Council to ask questions in public, to canvass the views of the people they represent or even respond properly to correspondence received. Let alone debate the decision.

As I say, astonishing. And all the more so, if we believe the stories that are flying around about Councillors being instructed not to question the decision or respond direct to questions from electors.

This decision should be debated. Firstly, because of the risks that the Council is taking.

When, last year, Solihull Council considered challenging John Prescott in the High Court over a planning decision, their Cabinet decided not to do so, on the grounds that it would be irresponsible to commit the £50,000 necessary to fund the initial stages of a challenge and risk “significantly more” money in the event of losing the case. Irresponsible. And they are a Council with an annual budget of £229 million.

But, we are told, Lewes is only risking £25,000. You must know some very cheap lawyers. Or perhaps you are relying on other people to pay most of the costs? According to Falmer Parish Council’s website, the estimated costs, at this stage, are £60,000. Contributions (of £5,000 each) have apparently been promised by the South Downs Society (that’s the Downsmen) and the South Downs Joint Committee (the organisation that used to be the Conservation Board). And Falmer have offered to split the remaining £50,000 with the District Council - £25,000 each.

Today we now hear from Councillor Commin that the costs may be £65,000, with Falmer apparently promising £30,000.

But, last week, Falmer Parish Council admitted on their website that they don’t have £25,000, let alone £30,000. They have £15,000.

So what is the risk to the Council? More than members have been told, that’s for sure.

That is why the people of Lewes District are right to be angry. If this case is lost – and who believes that the Government won’t contest it vigorously? And expensively? – the costs could rise significantly. And we are genuinely fearful for our public services.

And if the Council is hanging its case on the expectation that a High Court judge will find that planning law somehow prevents any development in protected countryside, the case will be lost.

Only three weeks ago, a House of Lords Committee decided that there was no basis to allow an appeal against the decision of the High Court, confirmed by the Appeal Court, that it was perfectly legal for a planning authority to permit major development in a National Park, notwithstanding its protected status, where it was held that the development brought significant economic and regeneration benefits to a deprived local economy. Exactly the circumstances that John Prescott has found to apply in the Falmer Stadium case.

If that is this Council’s case, you will lose it.

The Cabinet Committee’s decision to commit funds to this adventure is taking a reckless risk – of unknown quantity – with Council Tax Payers’ money.

5,165 residents of Lewes District have signed this petition. Please listen to us. And please think again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here