Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

East Stand 1901 Club - where is the area which was set aside for the supporters bar?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bring on the corporates, I say.

If their CASH bankrolls a better team for the rest of us to watch, from our perfectly adequate seats, and eulogise over at half time in our perfectly adequate concourse bars, then I welcome them with open arms.

THIS

Thanks for writing that, I penned something entirely less eloquent.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And can you imagine the scenes when someone is tanked up on lager, desperate for more, and stuck behind a bearded type who is going through that lengthy ritual of 'examining' his pint before agreeing to purchase it? There'll only be one outcome and it will involve someone with a beard and sandles sparko on their back.

It also takes longer to "pour" as well.

There will be machines that produce 6/8 pints (or whatever) at a time...similar to festivals/o2/cricket etc.

So it will be *probably* Fosters, Strongbow, John Smiths.

And wine in those little plastic bottles.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And wine in those little plastic bottles.

Can anyone confirm this?

It would literally MAKE Falmer for me - it would be like going on holiday and being on a plane. An affirmative answer to "Wine with your meal sir?", would see me rewarded with a little plastic bottle of wine. Or maybe 2 if I was feeling fruity.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im merely going from what I have seen at large venues, but I would hope that is the case.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It will be self inflicted because it is so avoidable. For a club that needs people to arrive early and stay late, it needs to be able to offer choice and to not stock the currentfastest growing in sales by volume product would in my view, dent this approach.

But you all carry on with your inverse snobbery on this just because you see this as am opportunity to settle scores with some others. It surely shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to be able to offer choice and cater for extra corporate seats?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
When the idea has been discussed on here before, the topic has become quite personal. There are many on here who have their own beef with John Baine and as he has been at the front of trying to achieve this will see the current rumoured turn of events as another stick to beat him with.

I also think Buzzer's 'humourous' stereotype to be another part of this. I mean what about the many pubs who successfully sell both homogenised lager and cask ales?There are many catering firms who cant (or wont) do this in event catering. We'll see if the club's chosen firm are one of them. If they're not, no problem. If they are, then the loss of a bar that could have achieved it would be, as I said, an own goal.

The irony is that there are many on here who've criticised John Baine's music over the PA by saying there is a lack of personal choice. Some of those are on this thread and are revelling in potentially not having choice for a significant percentage of the fanbase we'll need to take this club forward.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Significant percentage? MY ARSE.

So what you are saying is that for ten or twelve people it should offer them a choice?

It does its called a pub.

Most people who attend venues nowadays know, actually KNOW that you will basically get lager, cider, something like John Smiths or Murphys and wine.

The MAJORITY of people will arrive early to buy booze, and stay later to buy booze, the ONLY factor that will stop that is the price. If its O2 £4.50 a pint or whatever forget it. Even if it was Harveys beardy best nectar, where only then about twelve people may buy two pints before the game and after, so thats what £200? Whoope.

If its a more reasonable £3 watch them rolling in regardless of the "choice" on offer. Its called catering to the masses. And thats what Falmer will have - masses.

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
You don't have to sell your soul to make money.

I want us to be sustainable. I don't care if we make a million pound a game.

To me, it's about belonging, pride, togetherness and spirit. f*** all this money talk.

Let's get as far as we can by being a proper football club.

Ultimately, that surely has to be the whole point of the game?

NAIL ON HEAD. spot on sir.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I can't believe that this whole thread appears to be over the loss of a bar. I would be more worried about the fact that even more of the "better" seats are being taken up by corporates or potentially non season ticket holders. Glad I went the 1901 route so I won't have to be part of the inevitable binfest fighting over whats left.

Will be interesting to see what they charge for this new area.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Surely supporters bars are at noddy clubs anyway. Not where there are 000s of fans. Correct me if Im wrong but Im sure places like the Emirates dont have a supporters bar..?

But they have plastic fans - we have real football supporters :albion1::albion2:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005

So what you are saying is that for ten or twelve people it should offer them a choice?

Most people who attend venues nowadays know, actually KNOW that you will basically get lager, cider, something like John Smiths or Murphys and wine.

The MAJORITY of people will arrive early to buy booze, and stay later to buy booze, the ONLY factor that will stop that is the price. If its O2 £4.50 a pint or whatever forget it. Even if it was Harveys beardy best nectar, where only then about tweleve people may buy two pints before the game and after, so thats what £200? Whoope.

If its a more reasonable £3 watch them rolling in regardless of the "choice" on offer. Its called catering to the masses.

great well we'll stick to that with music shall we? and you say 10 or 12 people when currently 35% of people between 18 and 45 class themselves as cask ale drinkers. That's more than those who class themselves as cider drinkers.

But lets not let facts get in the way of your argument.

There has been studies done by AEG into now needing to stock a cask ale at the 02 due to customer feedback and the impact on arrival patterns to their venue.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Do they? So the WHOLE population of the UK have been asked between the age of 18 -45 then that they are cask ale drinkers? Bollocks. What about women? Utter CRAP. 35% my ding a ling. Was this study in a CAMRA pub or a real ale festival?

I think you will find its more to do with the PRICE of a pint at the O2 than the fare on offer as well.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

The MAJORITY of people will arrive early to buy booze, and stay later to buy booze, the ONLY factor that will stop that is the price. If its O2 £4.50 a pint or whatever forget it. Even if it was Harveys beardy best nectar, where only then about twelve people may buy two pints before the game and after, so thats what £200? Whoope.

If its a more reasonable £3 watch them rolling in regardless of the "choice" on offer. Its called catering to the masses. And thats what Falmer will have - masses.

I think you misunderstand the concept of the 'fans bar', it was to be one little bolt hole at the stadium which offered a pub type experience and a decent pint at the stadium for, I would imagine, considerably more than 10 or 12 people. I'd imagine such a bar would get at least 100 or so regulars who would then be spending their pre and post match booze money (I think the denizens of the Star for example are quite happy to have more than one or two pints!) at the stadium, rather than the PUB, thus benefiting the club. It's a pretty good idea.

I've no doubt that 90% of fans will be perfectly happy with whatever major 'brewer' gets the pouring rights at the Amex, but it would be nice to have an alternative too.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Do they? So the WHOLE population of the UK have been asked between the age of 18 -45 then that they are cask ale drinkers? Bollocks. What about women? Utter CRAP.

I think you will find its more to do with the PRICE of a pint at the O2 than the fare on offer as well.

No they did a survey - like all pulse checks in society. But then you knew that I'm sure. And having just spotted your edit, the aurvey would follow the same opinion poll rules are say the yougov election polls so will not be a captive audience at an event that promoted the product in question.

And for your info that included women. They are a fast growing group having risen from 20% to 26% in the last 4 years.

You call it crap but you have no evidence, other than your own opinion, to refute it.

And as for AEG, they have surveyed their customers and the late arrivers to assess the problem. Perhaps that makes them 'noddy' for doing so?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So, has this actually been announced, or is it a rumour? (the extra 1901 Club seats)

Oh, and what is wrong with wanting somethng a bit tasty for sale at the ground? Some nice Real ale, and a couple of decent lagers, rather than Carlsberg in a plastic bottle, would be soo much nicer. Not that it will ever be served in a glass, always in a plastic, but at least you'll know it's clean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here