• Hmmmmmm. Dunno

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Simply no, he cheated, got caught, hence the ban,
He knew the penalties when he took the decision to cheat.
Do the crime, do the time.

He done the crime, and now bleating .its not fair, fed up of even hearing his name.
Its getting very boring, don't know how he got the right to appeal.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Usually, I think, I'd say let him run. He's done his time and made a mistake. Britain and Norway are the only countries with this tougher law, which is ridiculous, Germany for example turn a blind eye regularly.

However, It's far more complex. Firstly, the effect of those drugs are still in his body - he has the muscles that he built wit hthe help of those drugs - that is unfair.

Secondly, when caught he did not help himself, whatsoever. He came out and said no top athletes don't take drugs a) so what? that doesnt make it right b) I very much doubt they do and that caused great offense to Paula and Mo Farah in particularly. His position is almost unworkable.

The timing is also disgraceful, he should have done this much earlier but he knows if hes even given a court case he can run, then if that caught case finds him guilty and stops him running, he's still run in Beijing.

I think I'm leaning towards don't let him, but I think what is needed is a blanket world athletics rule on this - why should an athlete in Britain be treated differently for the same thing from an Italian, Greek or Chinese?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The sad thing is, if he wins his appeal, he will completely dominate proceedings in the run up to the Games. He will be the focus of all the attention, followed by a media circus entirely out of proportion to his actual ability. If I was one of the other team members, I'd be wondering why I bothered with all the hard work and training, only to play second fiddle to a drug cheat.

The laughable thing is, it's not as though his times are anywhere near good enough to get a medal anyway, the likes of Gay and Bolt are running almost 0.2 seconds quicker, a huge distance in sprinting terms. So he's making all this fuss for what? To POSSIBLY qualify for the final, but more likely go out in one of the heats, like the rest of our sprinters. If he genuinely thought he was medal potential, I suppose I could understand it, but surely he's not. And lets just say that a miracle happened, and he got a medal. Would anybody give him one ounce of credit for it? No, it would be forever tarnished. He certainly wouldn't be in the running for Sports Personality of the Year.

He knew what the rules about the Olympics were when he made the conscious decision to take steroids, and for my money he has no right to turn around after he's been caught and whinge that it's not fair.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think I'm leaning towards don't let him, but I think what is needed is a blanket world athletics rule on this - why should an athlete in Britain be treated differently for the same thing from an Italian, Greek or Chinese?

I think its commedndable that Britain and Norway maintain this stance. The rest of the world should fall in line with US.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Usually, I think, I'd say let him run. He's done his time and made a mistake. Britain and Norway are the only countries with this tougher law, which is ridiculous, Germany for example turn a blind eye regularly.

However, It's far more complex. Firstly, the effect of those drugs are still in his body - he has the muscles that he built wit hthe help of those drugs - that is unfair.

Secondly, when caught he did not help himself, whatsoever. He came out and said no top athletes don't take drugs a) so what? that doesnt make it right b) I very much doubt they do and that caused great offense to Paula and Mo Farah in particularly. His position is almost unworkable.

The timing is also disgraceful, he should have done this much earlier but he knows if hes even given a court case he can run, then if that caught case finds him guilty and stops him running, he's still run in Beijing.

It doesn't make the Italians, Greeks or Chinese right, though, does it?

Yes he did his time as far as the UK Atletics ban was concerned but not as far as the BOC is concerned and he KNEW the rules of BOTH those bodies before he decided to cheat.

He is lucky that he can still ply his trade in a sport that he has so blatantly disgraced.

IMO all sports bodies should impose lifetime bans on drugs cheats. No ifs and buts. If you are prepared to commit the crime, you know what the punishment will be.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The guy made a f*** up and was punished.He has served his ban so lets move on.You cannot deny a man a living.I'm backing him.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The guy made a f*** up and was punished.He has served his ban so lets move on.You cannot deny a man a living.I'm backing him.

Firstly - He has only served one ban. The other is for life and he knew about that before he decided to cheat.

Secondly - He is only banned from the Olympics for life. The Olympics are not his living. he still earns plenty of money from his trade.

Thirdly - He didn't make a f*** up. He made a conscious decision to cheat, to deprive his fellow competitors of medals/prizemoney, even to deprive his own relay team mates of medals if he were to be found out.

How anyone can defend that is totally beyond me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nobody is denying him a living. He can still earn as a professional athlete.

Just not at the worlds premieré competition.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The sad thing is, if he wins his appeal, he will completely dominate proceedings in the run up to the Games. He will be the focus of all the attention, followed by a media circus entirely out of proportion to his actual ability. If I was one of the other team members, I'd be wondering why I bothered with all the hard work and training, only to play second fiddle to a drug cheat.

The laughable thing is, it's not as though his times are anywhere near good enough to get a medal anyway, the likes of Gay and Bolt are running almost 0.2 seconds quicker, a huge distance in sprinting terms. So he's making all this fuss for what? To POSSIBLY qualify for the final, but more likely go out in one of the heats, like the rest of our sprinters. If he genuinely thought he was medal potential, I suppose I could understand it, but surely he's not. And lets just say that a miracle happened, and he got a medal. Would anybody give him one ounce of credit for it? No, it would be forever tarnished. He certainly wouldn't be in the running for Sports Personality of the Year.

He knew what the rules about the Olympics were when he made the conscious decision to take steroids, and for my money he has no right to turn around after he's been caught and whinge that it's not fair.

Did I not hear in the last couple of days that the TV would cover the race and medal ceremony (if he is involved) but nothing else ? I guess there would still be a scrum around it ll though.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
As others have said its a very difficult situation and I'm not entirely sure myself.

Definately the one thing that is for sure is that the Olympics as a whole should just ban drugs cheats and then it wouldn't be up to individual federations.

Because most other countries would allow Chambers to run I can see why he is appealing and as the rules are at present, I feel he should be allowed to run. However surely the Olympic team is chosen by our own federation? I know he's acheived the qualifying time but surely that doesn't mean the BOC have to pick him?

In any other international team sport the players are CHOSEN to represent their country and ones who miss out don't have to have a reason why? I'm sure there's plenty of footballers who never went to the World Cup even though they thought their federation should have picked them? Same goes for Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, etc, etc.

Surely even if they said they were getting rid of the rule saying drugs cheats are banned by the BOC, they still have the right to choose who goes?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why the witch hunt on Chambers? This is starting to annoy me.Easy 10 wants him banned for life but if we ban him for life then do we ban all sportsmen for life if they fall foul of the testers?
Ban Rio Ferdinand for life for his missed test?
Ban Mark Lewis Francis, he failed for a recreational drug,
Ban Carl Myerscough?
Ban Christine Ohuruogu?
The list goes on with many footballers, tennis players, cricketers etc so why is Dwayne Chambers being singled out:censored:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Recreational drugs are a separate issue, the implications are COMPLETELY different from using a performance-enhancing drug. And Ferdinand wasn't found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs, he was guilty of missing a test - again, completely different from being found to have taken performance-enhancing drugs. Ferdinand is stupid - which is unfortunate, but its not a crime.

The rules set out by the BOC could not be clearer. Chambers took a concious decision to deliberately IGNORE those rules. So why should he now be pardoned ? I cannot think of ONE good reason why he should be an exception to this rule.

And I'd hold the same opinion of ANYONE discovered taking performance-enhancing drugs. They permanently enhance their bodies muscle capacity by doing this, therefore they forfeit the right to compete at the highest level. End of.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Recreational drugs are a separate issue, the implications are COMPLETELY different from using a performance-enhancing drug. And Ferdinand wasn't found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs, he was guilty of missing a test - again, completely different from being found to have taken performance-enhancing drugs. Ferdinand is stupid - which is unfortunate, but its not a crime.

Or was it a crime? Was he taking drugs and didn't want to be caught?

If you get pulled and refuse to take a breath test surely you should get the most severe penalty you could have been got if you were heavily over the limit?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Rules are rule sand right or wrong he's doen his time. If we all take the law into our own hands every time we disagree with a law we'll ahve innocent people being killed on the streets.

Don't like it but there you are. Good luck Dwayne.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or was it a crime? Was he taking drugs and didn't want to be caught?

If you get pulled and refuse to take a breath test surely you should get the most severe penalty you could have been got if you were heavily over the limit?
He did get a severe penalty - an 8 month ban, which also meant he missed out on Euro 2004. But unless you're actually found guilty of taking a banned substance, then you can't really ban for life, can you ? I thought the Ferdinand punishment was fair enough.

Rules are rule sand right or wrong he's doen his time. If we all take the law into our own hands every time we disagree with a law we'll ahve innocent people being killed on the streets.

Don't like it but there you are. Good luck Dwayne.
Exactly - rules ARE rules !
And the BOC rules state that if you are found taking performance-enhancing drugs, its a lifetime ban. And Chambers KNEW this. So he HASN'T done his time. He never will.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I can't believe so many are on is side in this poll. What sort of world do you live in?

He is not being denied a living. Selection for the Olympics has nothing to do with earning a living.

He knew the BOC rules before he made the decision to cheat.

How can he now be right?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I quite agree, he has broken the trust of the nation and other athletes. If he gets a podium there will always be doubts about wether a, he had cheated again. b, wether his previous drug taking still gave him a slight muscle mass advantage.

But, fortunately even his PB is out of sight as regards a medal in all probability..as I said earlier he is just nicking an up and coming young sprinters chance of gaining experience....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I can't believe so many are on is side in this poll. What sort of world do you live in?

He is not being denied a living. Selection for the Olympics has nothing to do with earning a living.

He knew the BOC rules before he made the decision to cheat.

How can he now be right?

The really sad thing is that he will probably make more appearance money after the olypmpics just becuase of the notoriety.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
mind you, this argument could run and run........:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here