Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Durham v Sussex, 3-6 September, Chester-le-Street, LVCC Div 1***

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Too many cross bat, loose shots at Chester le Street lead to a dismal failure. tbh the Sussex batting line up is not very strong and RHB has not progressed as a player.

Too many players lacking motivation and competition for places?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we can get rid of Monty for "off the field" issues, we have to do the same for Rory Hammered-in-Town.

Loving the names here. I have another for our comedic middle order - Laurel and Yardy.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
To make matters worse:

Off-spinner Ollie Rayner produced the best match figures of the summer of 15-118 as Middlesex completed a 146-run win against struggling Surrey.

(not the last bit)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
In fairness this season not sure there is much he can be done for, yes he was with out Monty, but he did not do it.

If Adams returns in the winter, then Hamilton-Gower could have an issue.
Did things go sour between Adams and RHB? Making him captain when he first arrived was quite a thing.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
In fairness this season not sure there is much he can be done for, yes he was with out Monty, but he did not do it.

If Adams returns in the winter, then Hamilton-Gower could have an issue.

I wasn't actually referring to that night as it goes. Like Monty though, there's obviously, err, 'outside influences' and issues making him a f***-awful cricketer at the moment. I fear this may be an insurmountable problem and it may be better to get rid.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think a lot of things went sour at Surrey last season, beyond the obvious.
Adams could be an abrasive fellow.

Its a difficult situation. We can all see that RHB is struggling but I'm guessing Robbo is reluctant to drop him and undermine his confidence further. That video with Monty (through association) won't have helped things either, even the most understanding Sussex members must be losing patience with him.

The end of the season can't come soon enough.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I also think it's time for a change at the top. Keep Robbo on as a bowling coach, actually get a batting coach and bring in a new Adams-esque boss to oversee the whole thing.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Maybe an abrasive character like Adams is what the squad need to regain their focus. However there will be some collateral damage and he hasn't exactly presided over a champagne era at Surrey, spending a lot of money for moderate results, plus their off-field issues are not a good omen.

But I tend to agree that Adams and RHB at the same County probably won't work now. RHB has come to Sussex to rediscover his career and find some form however neither has really happened. Adams would almost certainly do what Robinson hasn't and drop RHB. Would RHB be motivated to graft his way back to form under Adams? My fear is they have too much 'previous' for this to succeed. Could get messy.

I'm not sure that we can (or even want to) afford Adams.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Maybe an abrasive character like Adams is what the squad need to regain their focus. However there will be some collateral damage and he hasn't exactly presided over a champagne era at Surrey, spending a lot of money for moderate results, plus their off-field issues are not a good omen.

But I tend to agree that Adams and RHB at the same County probably won't work now. RHB has come to Sussex to rediscover his career and find some form however neither has really happened. Adams would almost certainly do what Robinson hasn't and drop RHB. Would RHB be motivated to graft his way back to form under Adams? My fear is they have too much 'previous' for this to succeed. Could get messy.

I'm not sure that we can (or even want to) afford Adams.

Plus I wonder how Chris Jordan was viewed when he left Surrey for Sussex and vice versa?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Plus I wonder how Chris Jordan was viewed when he left Surrey for Sussex and vice versa?

Quite. Jordan is one of the bright spots this season and would be a shame to rekindle any issues with his old regime.

I like Robbo but feel we need a more dynamic head coach and certainly someone better equipped to make our batting more robust. Its a pity we haven't got someone like Murray Goodwin for that role or maybe there is a hard nosed South African out there suited for the task.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Adams could be an abrasive fellow.

Its a difficult situation. We can all see that RHB is struggling but I'm guessing Robbo is reluctant to drop him and undermine his confidence further. That video with Monty (through association) won't have helped things either, even the most understanding Sussex members must be losing patience with him.

The end of the season can't come soon enough.

You forget that he did actually drop him for one or two games in the middle of the summer (against Surrey at Arundel for one!!).

I don't take any pleasure in saying that I said at the start of the season he was not the player he was and he was going to struggle this season. He's been through a hell of a lot with his mate, and he's getting a fortune when he hits 30 in a few years.

Where's the motivation? I couldn't give a **** either quite frankly.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It's fairly obvious Robinson is a loser. You've only got to listen to the man talk to realise that. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's as cut out for first class cricket management as I am ballet dancing. Get rid ASAP.
Very much this. Chalk and cheese compared with Adams.

Wholesale changes are needed at the County Ground.

Chris Adams for Director of Cricket would be a start.

Followed quickly by Bill Archer in as new Chairman, David Bellotti as Vice-Chairman, Vince Hilaire for First Team Coach and Rachid Harkouk as Academy Director...

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
It's fairly obvious Robinson is a loser. You've only got to listen to the man talk to realise that. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's as cut out for first class cricket management as I am ballet dancing. Get rid ASAP.

He may be struggling right now, but he has one a few trophies as a First Class Cricket Manager over the years.

Tell me - what awards have you one in your ballet competitions?

Very much this. Chalk and cheese compared with Adams.

Wholesale changes are needed at the County Ground.

Chris Adams for Director of Cricket would be a start.

Followed quickly by Bill Archer in as new Chairman, David Bellotti as Vice-Chairman, Vince Hilaire for First Team Coach and Rachid Harkouk as Academy Director...

And not forgetting Angus James 'Gus' Mackay as CEO. Let it all be so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here