Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dunk IN! (Was: Dunk Out?)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sorry why would it be “ his Palace mate” Southgate played more games for Middlesbrough and Villa than palace and then went on to manage Middlesbrough … I just don’t see him as a Palace man ?
I've made this point numerous times on here. No other Palace fans I know see him as particularly affiliated with them either.

But I'm afraid there are many people on here who stupid enough to genuinely believe Dunk doesn't get picked because 'Southgate is Palace'.

It's astounding.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Given Stones lack of fitness both Guehi and Dunk could well both be playing together a some point
Stones is constantly getting injuries nowadays so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw this. Would be quite something to see a Brighton + Palace backs to the wall clean sheet at some point.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've made this point numerous times on here. No other Palace fans I know see him as particularly affiliated with them either.

But I'm afraid there are many people on here who stupid enough to genuinely believe Dunk doesn't get picked because 'Southgate is Palace'.

It's astounding.
I think in a way it was! Southgate when taking the role said he would pick in form players. Yet he then continued to pick Mings (probably because of how he dealt with the racism incident) and also Maguire (when he wasn't playing for Utd) despite Dunk's superb form over the last few years. And maybe people put that poor decision making process down to his Palace upbringing!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
The prospect of one of our players starting for England in the Euros should have excitement levels through the roof, let alone the fact he’s our local lad who grew up in Hollingbury and has played over 400 games for us.

Annoyingly, (and I include myself in this to an extent) there’s more of a sense of fear that he might struggle or make a cock-up on the big stage.

I think if we see him walk out in the starting XI, it’ll become more about excitement and pride, then hopefully Dunk will prove all his doubters wrong and have a stormer.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sounds bullish in an interview with the Guardian:

Everyone makes mistakes. It is how you bounce back from that. I had to come back into the pre-camp and show as much as I could. After that mistake I felt I did all right. Football is a game of opinions and the one that matters is the manager of England.

We know he can do it. We've watched him do it for years and years.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It's astounding.
It is, isn't it? Even if Southgate did have a particularly strong affiliation with Palace, his success with England will define his managerial career, and the genuine belief that he would base his selection on anything other than what he believes is the squad/team most likley to win a major tournament is preplexing.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think in a way it was! Southgate when taking the role said he would pick in form players. Yet he then continued to pick Mings (probably because of how he dealt with the racism incident) and also Maguire (when he wasn't playing for Utd) despite Dunk's superb form over the last few years. And maybe people put that poor decision making process down to his Palace upbringing!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Ha. Well yes if you put it like that, it makes more sense.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It is, isn't it? Even if Southgate did have a particularly strong affiliation with Palace, his success with England will define his managerial career, and the genuine belief that he would base his selection on anything other than what he believes is the squad/team most likley to win a major tournament is preplexing.
Indeed. The chance to be England's greatest ever manager, a Knighthood, and to be loved and adored by the whole country, and to be the man to finally break nearly 60 years of hurt. But no, better pick some players from one of the clubs he played for nearly 30 years ago even if they aren't as good as he still likes that club.

The fact that anyone can actually rationalise that in their brain as the reason is absolutely insane.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It's astounding.
It's the sort of easy lazy trope that people can slip into without thinking. A significant number of people love that.

Anyway, just like politicians, all football managers are all the same, aren't they?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The prospect of one of our players starting for England in the Euros should have excitement levels through the roof, let alone the fact he’s our local lad who grew up in Hollingbury and has played over 400 games for us.

Annoyingly, (and I include myself in this to an extent) there’s more of a sense of fear that he might struggle or make a cock-up on the big stage.

I think if we see him walk out in the starting XI, it’ll become more about excitement and pride, then hopefully Dunk will prove all his doubters wrong and have a stormer.
Agreed. Will feel immense pride watching him walk out if he does start.

(Just really wish it wasn’t against Mitrovic on Sunday though!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here