Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dunk IN! (Was: Dunk Out?)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Here is another thing. I have noted previously that when Rice plays he cramps Dunk's style and Dunk retreats to left back in no man's land. Rice is supposedly a top player. However he goes back too deep to needlessly fetch the ball then runs forward with it across the centre circle before looking for a pass. That is f***ing old fashioned play. Think Steven Gerrard but without the pace and raking runs towards the box.

The rest of the team are then all eyes on Rice as he Rolls Royces himself forward ("that player purrs with class"), and then, er passes it out to the wing where the winger has to face up to two defenders and so passes the ball back into midfield.

This is a long, long way from diZerbi ball, where a long high risk pass by Dink from inside his own half is met by a player already in the position where Rice is trying to dribble towards, and makes an incisive one touch pass to the wing and finds an unmarked player and the ball can move towards the box super fas, catching out the low block. Brighton don't have enough elite players for this to work well sufficiently often. England do. nd so?

It is as if Southgate has never seen such footballs, or considered such a wondrous marvel.
Couple of ways to look at this, the players are actually managing England, Southgate isn't strong enough to tell Rice to push forward and give space to the CB, the same applies to Kane dropping too deep at times.

The other is Southgate is telling Rice to drop deeper and receive the ball as he deems a long ball / what you've described as too risky

I think your last paragraph nails he, he has no idea how to manage flair players, he's a defensive manager (which is fine) and that isn't suited to the squad we have.

I don't buy the friendly excuse either.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Palmer and Foden were invisible - they really need to reproduce their club form if we have half a chance. Gordon did ok but with only Kane, who had a dreadful haircut, in the box shinning everything that came his way he was wasting his time.
Southgate has DeZerbiitis - 90% of passes in and around the holding midfielder and two centre backs is going to bore the pants off us all and get us absolutely nowhere.
Why are they invisible? They have freedom to do what they do at club level.

They don't for England.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I thought that the defence fell apart once the most senior player was no longer there in control. For me, Lewis could be the captain of the defence and bring them into some sort of order. GuehI is good but I am not sure he is a leader, especially when surrounded by experienced pros.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I thought that the defence fell apart once the most senior player was no longer there in control. For me, Lewis could be the captain of the defence and bring them into some sort of order. GuehI is good but I am not sure he is a leader, especially when surrounded by experienced pros.
Agree - I once (a couple of seasons ago) decided to focus on Dunk, rather than following the ball everywhere. It was amazing to watch him....constantly directing his fellow defenders, constantly watching where the oppo forwards were. It was exhausting just watching him. I realise his pure defensive powers are waning a bit now, but he still has tremendous value as a leader. Hope Southgate understands that. Incidentally, Guehi may become a very decent defender in the future, but I really don't understand the hype around him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I can't say I watch Palace overly, but Palaces defence was a mess till Guehi came back in, which from the outside shows he can organise a defence, he certainly improves it massively.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Palmer and Foden were invisible - they really need to reproduce their club form if we have half a chance. Gordon did ok but with only Kane, who had a dreadful haircut, in the box shinning everything that came his way he was wasting his time.
Southgate has DeZerbiitis - 90% of passes in and around the holding midfielder and two centre backs is going to bore the pants off us all and get us absolutely nowhere.
If Palmer was invisible then how did he manage to miss two golden chances and put in a beautiful ball for the sitter Kane missed?

He was involved a lot. Did you watch the full game?

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I can't say I watch Palace overly, but Palaces defence was a mess till Guehi came back in, which from the outside shows he can organise a defence, he certainly improves it massively.
Didn't that coincide with Glasner's arrival and the fitness of Olise and Eze?
It is one thing playing with your week in week out team mates quite another playing with seasoned internationals.
It will affect his freedom of play although there is no doubt he is a future regular.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Here is another thing. I have noted previously that when Rice plays he cramps Dunk's style and Dunk retreats to left back in no man's land. Rice is supposedly a top player. However he goes back too deep to needlessly fetch the ball then runs forward with it across the centre circle before looking for a pass. That is f***ing old fashioned play. Think Steven Gerrard but without the pace and raking runs towards the box.

The rest of the team are then all eyes on Rice as he Rolls Royces himself forward ("that player purrs with class"), and then, er passes it out to the wing where the winger has to face up to two defenders and so passes the ball back into midfield.

This is a long, long way from diZerbi ball, where a long high risk pass by Dink from inside his own half is met by a player already in the position where Rice is trying to dribble towards, and makes an incisive one touch pass to the wing and finds an unmarked player and the ball can move towards the box super fas, catching out the low block. Brighton don't have enough elite players for this to work well sufficiently often. England do. nd so?

It is as if Southgate has never seen such footballs, or considered such a wondrous marvel.
Good point about Rice. When playing against the 10 man low block there's no point in him dropping deep all the time because nobody is pressing him and there's no press to play through. He would be better utilised further upfield and letting the CBs initiate the attacks.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I wouldn't say Roy's 8 man defensive unit was a mess. It was quite efficient at keeping both goals against and goals for down to a low number. Guehi's problem in the England setup is that Waistcoat doesn't deploy an 8 man defence to cover him. Hence, nearly conceding 2 goals from the breakaway and the corner. He did, at least, improve inhis ability to play a 5 yard pass last night, as the 50 examples to Rice testify.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If Palmer was invisible then how did he manage to miss two golden chances and put in a beautiful ball for the sitter Kane missed?

He was involved a lot. Did you watch the full game?
Yep. Completely wasted on the wing. I don’t think Southgate has their positions worked out for them to be as effective as they should be.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wouldn't say Roy's 8 man defensive unit was a mess. It was quite efficient at keeping both goals against and goals for down to a low number. Guehi's problem in the England setup is that Waistcoat doesn't deploy an 8 man defence to cover him. Hence, nearly conceding 2 goals from the breakaway and the corner. He did, at least, improve inhis ability to play a 5 yard pass last night, as the 50 examples to Rice testify.
Palace were conceding goals for fun whilst he was out, Englands set up is to play those pointless low risk balls around, also not overly sure how Iceland breaking from a corner is on one player?

If Dunk does play,it's fair to say his weakness this season is against big lumps - England are playing V Mitrovic/Vlahovic/Sesko.

All the CBs have issues surrounding them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looks as though the press and media in general are ignoring the fact that dunk has been selected at all! Hardly a mention of him when talking about englands defensive woes even suggesting if stones injury is worse and he can’t start, dunk should not be next to the palace laddie. Phil mcnulty basically suggesting that picking him instead of braithwaite will lose us the euros before we have kicked a ball.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Guehi didn’t play for most of the last 10:games and when he came back he played in midfield in the last 2 games of the season.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Palace were conceding goals for fun whilst he was out, Englands set up is to play those pointless low risk balls around, also not overly sure how Iceland breaking from a corner is on one player?

If Dunk does play,it's fair to say his weakness this season is against big lumps - England are playing V Mitrovic/Vlahovic/Sesko.

All the CBs have issues surrounding them.
They didn't break from a corner. He lost his man at a corner and, fortunately, he headed it straight at Ramsdale.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
makes my blood boil we have all these Pal@rse players in the squad. Only hope is they all so sh1t Dunk may finally get a look in as 1st choice soon!

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
Looks as though the press and media in general are ignoring the fact that dunk has been selected at all! Hardly a mention of him when talking about englands defensive woes even suggesting if stones injury is worse and he can’t start, dunk should not be next to the palace laddie. Phil mcnulty basically suggesting that picking him instead of braithwaite will lose us the euros before we have kicked a ball.
I noticed that; Dunk seems to have fallen off the radar. Strange.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
McNulty is just a salty Everton fan, so no surprise there.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Talkshite hilarious at the moment. Muppets ringing up to say that Dunk shouldn't be going (Braithwaite [sic] is better, Tarkowski is better, one tw@t even phoned up to say that he was better than Dunk!
The funny thing is that none of these football armchair 'experts' think that it's 'Braithwaite' who should be going, with realising that Everton don't even have a first teamer called Braithwaite! The presenters seem too dumb to correct them too. Muppets!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Dunk will need to provide a perfect 60 yard-through-ball-assist to Kane... to get a mention

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here