Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drugs

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Lokki 7 said:
I don't understand the logic in your argument. If you enjoy a pint then you know why people take drugs to enhance their evening. Alcohol is a drug like any other, it just happens to be legal and socially acceptable. It annoys me when people who drink and smoke try and take the moral high ground. The cost to society from alcohol abuse and cigarette addiction is a hundred times greater than that from cocaine or ecstasy.

the logic is that i enjoy a pint or two when i go out. i dont drink to excess and i am 99.9% sure that a couple of pints are not going to kill me. i cannot say the same if i were a user of E, C, etc. how do you know if it/they are safe? you are accepting a substance from someone that could in fact have made it themselves and you could be another statistic, dead on E or C.

is that logical now lokki7 ?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
hampden park said:
maybe not when they are high, but when they are coming down or want another fix they can and are very aggressive. cannabis is now (according to a quack) effecting/affecting the users sub-conscious(sp).

this argument/discussion could go on forever :nono:

Have to say in all the times I have smoked I have never felt aggressive in a need of getting another "fix" Just take out a rizla and roll another simple. Sometimes if I'm really stoned I have trouble getting the roach in the end but then it does and it all goes fine.

he only detrimental effect I noticed was, I sometimes can't be arsed to get up and change the channel on the TV so I got round that by getting a remote control TV

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
hampden park said:
the logic is that i enjoy a pint or two when i go out. i dont drink to excess and i am 99.9% sure that a couple of pints are not going to kill me. i cannot say the same if i were a user of E, C, etc. how do you know if it/they are safe? you are accepting a substance from someone that could in fact have made it themselves and you could be another statistic, dead on E or C.

is that logical now lokki7 ?

You have to box clever. Misuse of anything can lead to harm, not just illegal, not taxable, drugs.

What are you arguing anyway?

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
In the last 10 years just over 200 people have died as a result of taking E with just under 2 million pills being popped every weekend. Compare that to alcohol.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
You have to box clever. Misuse of anything can lead to harm, not just illegal, not taxable, drugs.

What are you arguing anyway?
f*** knows, i just wanted to say that if you want to dabble in drugs then you suffer the consequences. i then got slated for admitting that i liked a pint because it is a legal drug :rolleyes:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Withnail said:
In the last 10 years just over 200 people have died as a result of taking E with just under 2 million pills being popped every weekend. Compare that to alcohol.

i would still rather have a pint than be one of those 200 that are dead now

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Barnet Seagull said:
And I'd argue that those 200 all used it irresponsibly.

And I'd agree. Think how many more people die of alcohol related illnesses.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The difference between drink and illegal drugs is that drink is more scalable. I could have a pint at lunchtime and do a productive afternoon's work but probably couldn't if I had a lunchtime LSD tab. Although it might prove interesting.

I don't think anyone who drinks in any quantity or smokes should really lecture anyone about occasional drug use.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'm on Thyroxine daily and also Diclofenac at the moment for lower back strain and Sciatica.

As for recreational drugs I've done pretty much everything apart from Heroin, and in stupid quantities at times. Having said that I'm pretty sick of them now, alcohol included. I prefer my brain unscrambled and get more pleasure out of cooking and gardening these days.

I often think of two different comments from friends of mine when it comes to drugs. One of them doesn't drink and was married to an alcoholic. He never preached about it but said to me "I've never seen anyone improved by alcohol". The other comment was about coke and E's and was "Do you remember your life before you started taking drugs? Less complicated wasn't it". That about sums it up for me.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It should be said drugs are a bit of a young man's game. Comedown's don't get any easier.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I've not done Heroin and I don't like cigarettes.

That's it though I'm afraid.

Probably be dead by 35

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Insulin - couldn't live without it
Simvatation - keeps my BP down
Ramipril - keeps my Cholesterol in check

Tried some nitrus-oxide once when the missus was in the maternity suite - that was a good laugh ......

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Shropshire Seagull said:
Insulin - couldn't live without it
Simvatation - keeps my BP down
Ramipril - keeps my Cholesterol in check

Tried some nitrus-oxide once when the missus was in the maternity suite - that was a good laugh ......

Could you run three times quicker than normal ?

Albion Rob

hampden park said:
i would still rather have a pint than be one of those 200 that are dead now

Or you could be one of the 1,999,800 who had an amazing night/nights.

I think it's important to distinguish between those who are addicted to drugs and will go to any lengths to get them and those who like drugs, use them at a weekend, or sometimes more often, but hold down jobs, pay bills etc etc.

I guess the definition of addiction is feeling you can't have a good time without it. Therefore most people are alcoholics becuase they use alcohol (a totally legal and yet extremely mind-altering drug when taking in large quantities) to enhance their pleasure of a night out.

One thing HP said that was right though - ypu take the drugs, you take your chances. Be they nasty comedowns or worse.

The thing is, drinkers and smokers are virtually propping up the NHS. the amount they pay in tax is incredible.

An interesting point made - you don't know what you're taking with illegal drugs. A very good point too. Surely it will be a brave, but very rich, government who makes class As legal, creams the profits and then pumps them back in to society....

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Albion Rob said:
Or you could be one of the 1,999,800 who had an amazing night/nights.

The 2 million figure is pills taken every weekend for the last ten years. works out at 200 deaths from 1,040,000,000 pills. Not too much of a risk really.

Albion Rob

Withnail said:
The 2 million figure is pills taken every weekend for the last ten years. works out at 200 deaths from 1,040,000,000 pills. Not too much of a risk really.

That's a pretty impressive figure.

Probably less than have died from paracetomol.

Just goes to show that when you're in a competitive market place ruled be perfect market forces, qualty of product is paramount*

*I say quality, I do not necessarily mean the amount of MDMA, more like the fatality rate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here