Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Drinking in sight of the pitch - a survey

Do you agree the law should change to decriminalise drinking in sight of a football pitch?

• I agree.

Votes: 58 18.2%
  • I agree provided the bars are closed during the game

Votes: 89 27.9%
  • Not fussed either way

Votes: 28 8.8%
  • I disagree. I don't like the idea of flying beer after a goal

Votes: 99 31.0%
  • I disagree. The law is satisfactory as it is

Votes: 45 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Voted yes but close the bars.

The current law promotes binge drinking with people getting as tanked as possible in pubs before getting to the ground. Imagine instead you can go to the ground, buy a pint and take it to your seat and chat with your mates watching the players warm up. You could buy another 15 minutes before kick off and not have to worry about drinking that too fast.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you say but you just know that a significant number of people would still get as tanked up as possible in pubs / on the concourse before the game. They'd then take a half-drunk beer into the stands with them and either drop it all over someone or if their team score in the first 5-10 minutes it would be luzz central.

No thanks.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I don't necessarily disagree with what you say but you just know that a significant number of people would still get as tanked up as possible in pubs / on the concourse before the game. They'd then take a half-drunk beer into the stands with them and either drop it all over someone or if their team score in the first 5-10 minutes it would be luzz central.

No thanks.

Yeh sure, there are those dickheads that go to football. I can picture a few. But at the Amex they all 'sit' in the north stand at the moment, whereas I imagine you sit in the WSU? I've been in there a few times. I have no idea who these people are in the WSU that you think would suddenly start luzzing pints about but they don't exist there, and this change wouldn't impact that. So you wouldn't suddenly find yourself drenched in Stella.

Also, I specifically voted no sales during the games to further address. When are the goals that're most likely to send drinks flying scored? Towards the end. If the bars closed 30+ minutes previously there wouldn't be any beer left to throw.

I also think you need to think about the experience outside of the Amex, filled as it is with middle class dads and families and outside the premier league more generally, stuffed with tourists and twats. This could be transformative to the experience at League 2, League 1 level. Why not alter the law to allow drinking up until Championship level, as an example?

I certainly see valid arguments against just throwing bars open willy-nilly. But the solution to avoiding that isn't to leave things as-is with a non-sensical law that punishes clubs and fans, thought up by a Tory government who genuinely believed we were all Neanderthals responsible for Hillsborough.

Change the law in a considerate way that would improve the experience for nearly everyone - its certainly doable. Just going 'no thanks, it doesn't work for me' is NIMBY behaviour and we can all be better than that, I'm sure.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Grounds were different and I can't remember there being any bars to buy drinks in general admission areas. Might be wrong :shrug:

Yeah, I was 15-16 when we left Goldstone I don't remember ever seeing anyone with a legit beer there

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
The current law promotes binge drinking with people getting as tanked as possible in pubs before getting to the ground. Imagine instead you can go to the ground, buy a pint and take it to your seat and chat with your mates watching the players warm up. You could buy another 15 minutes before kick off and not have to worry about drinking that too fast.

That's reminiscent of when late licensing was introduced, I'm not sure levels of binge drinking decreased massively following that

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeh sure, there are those dickheads that go to football. I can picture a few. But at the Amex they all 'sit' in the north stand at the moment, whereas I imagine you sit in the WSU? I've been in there a few times. I have no idea who these people are in the WSU that you think would suddenly start luzzing pints about but they don't exist there, and this change wouldn't impact that. So you wouldn't suddenly find yourself drenched in Stella.

Also, I specifically voted no sales during the games to further address. When are the goals that're most likely to send drinks flying scored? Towards the end. If the bars closed 30+ minutes previously there wouldn't be any beer left to throw.

I also think you need to think about the experience outside of the Amex, filled as it is with middle class dads and families and outside the premier league more generally, stuffed with tourists and twats. This could be transformative to the experience at League 2, League 1 level. Why not alter the law to allow drinking up until Championship level, as an example?

I certainly see valid arguments against just throwing bars open willy-nilly. But the solution to avoiding that isn't to leave things as-is with a non-sensical law that punishes clubs and fans, thought up by a Tory government who genuinely believed we were all Neanderthals responsible for Hillsborough.

Change the law in a considerate way that would improve the experience for nearly everyone - its certainly doable. Just going 'no thanks, it doesn't work for me' is NIMBY behaviour and we can all be better than that, I'm sure.

Not a very logical argument. Firstly, I don't want to get covered in lager whenever Brighton score because of twats. As I watch home games from WSU, I'm reasonably confident that won't happen but I'd also guess there are plenty in the North Stand that don't want to get soaked as well but according to you that comes with the territory. They may be in the North Stand for the atmosphere but equally they may be there because it's one of the cheapest areas to watch the game.

Thinking of the experience outside of the Amex, when I go to away games, equally I don't want to get soaked by twats chucking their beer in the air and at those games I have no idea who will have the seats near me.

Therefore, it's still a no from me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't see there would be a massive advantage in closing the bars - if anything people would just buy 7 drinks at half time and spill them everywhere.
And what would you do about the grounds that already have the bars open during the game? I know they do at Elland Road.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not a very logical argument. Firstly, I don't want to get covered in lager whenever Brighton score because of twats. As I watch home games from WSU, I'm reasonably confident that won't happen but I'd also guess there are plenty in the North Stand that don't want to get soaked as well but according to you that comes with the territory. They may be in the North Stand for the atmosphere but equally they may be there because it's one of the cheapest areas to watch the game.

Thinking of the experience outside of the Amex, when I go to away games, equally I don't want to get soaked by twats chucking their beer in the air and at those games I have no idea who will have the seats near me.

Therefore, it's still a no from me.

Do me a favour.

Read beyond the first paragraph, then come back and reply.

Ta.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
And yet, younger generations consistently drink fewer units of alcohol than older generations so I also wouldn't say that late licensing has had a negative impact?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/369808/alcohol-units-consumed-by-gender-and-age-in-england/
I did almost put in that other than less people drink generally now. I'm not sure it's a cause and effect really, in much the same i don't think late licensing lead to an increase in veganism or improved performances at international tournaments by the home Nations since it was introduced

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

How on earth do you arrive at that conclusion? Pubs are open before the game, there's alcohol on sale outside the Amex and on the concourses, at half time you can get a drink and then after the game you can get a drink at the ground or head to Brighton/Lewes or wherever to continue your drinking. I don't think I've ever seen anyone necking pint after pint in a short space of time because for a 45 minute period they aren't going to get another!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do me a favour.

Read beyond the first paragraph, then come back and reply.

Ta.

I did. Guessing you think the only goals worthy of luzzing are at the end of the game when it matters and at that stage the pints would have been drunk, but that seems to exclude the reaction when a world class goal is scored at any time and that defeats your argument.

As for the lower leagues, I don't go and watch that football so my comments are based on following the Albion. However, you're assuming that people will continue to consume at the same rate rather than spread their drinking out over that period. Of course there will be some that see it as an opportunity for non stop drinking but I doubt it would be many. I would point out that prior to the law being changed, I don't remember loads of people standing around drinking pints during the game!

As for the law, repeal it. But if they do, I hope common sense prevails at the Amex and they don't allow alcohol at the seats.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I sit in WSU and agree there wouldn’t be a problem there. Away games would be carnage however and I’d probably stop going if beer luzzing became a thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rugby seems to manage just fine.

I can’t say I know anything about rugby, do they not chuck pints around and stick flares up their arses?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I sit in WSU and agree there wouldn’t be a problem there. Away games would be carnage however and I’d probably stop going if beer luzzing became a thing.

Doubt I would stop going, but i would not take my daughter in various areas of the ground, such as the North anymore.
At least now, if we have won and you don't mind the concourse, you can make the decision for yourself if you fancy a bit of lager rain.

I would like to think we can be sensible, and beer luzzing is reserved for special occasions....
Such as clinching European football :D

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can’t say I know anything about rugby, do they not chuck pints around and stick flares up their arses?

This prompted me to google how many watch rugby and after a few links I came across a site for the top 5 sports in the UK. Cricket is listed as number 2 with this description :-

Cricket is the national sport of the U.K. and became popular in the U.K. in the 17th century. Today there are 18 professional county clubs in the U.K. with all of them being named after historic counties. Each summer these county clubs participate in the First Class County Championship, which consists of two leagues of nice teams in in which matches are played over four days.

I love the idea that the sport is played between 'nice' teams!!

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
This prompted me to google how many watch rugby and after a few links I came across a site for the top 5 sports in the UK. Cricket is listed as number 2 with this description :-

Cricket is the national sport of the U.K. and became popular in the U.K. in the 17th century. Today there are 18 professional county clubs in the U.K. with all of them being named after historic counties. Each summer these county clubs participate in the First Class County Championship, which consists of two leagues of nice teams in in which matches are played over four days.

I love the idea that the sport is played between 'nice' teams!!

That needs updating, I don't think you can refer to Sussex CC as being " professional" anymore

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We’ve come a long way since the dark days of 80s football. Why would anyone want to give up the comforts of modern football? Padded seats, half decent food and drink, warm concourses, toilets that don’t stink of piss, a coat rail etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here