Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Drinking in sight of the pitch - a survey

Do you agree the law should change to decriminalise drinking in sight of a football pitch?

• I agree.

Votes: 58 18.2%
  • I agree provided the bars are closed during the game

Votes: 89 27.9%
  • Not fussed either way

Votes: 28 8.8%
  • I disagree. I don't like the idea of flying beer after a goal

Votes: 99 31.0%
  • I disagree. The law is satisfactory as it is

Votes: 45 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would like to be able to take my pint into the ground and sup at my leisure rather than be forced to neck it before hand
But the downsides far outweigh that positive.

Who is forcing you to neck a pint?
Do you mean before the match or half time or both?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Too much TV coverage of beer throwing at World cups and Euros that has now made it the thing to do.

Cant imagine anything worse than getting drenched when we score in the 87th min when already 3 down to Burnley or someone !

It's OK, if we're 3 down after 87 minutes there will be plenty of space between you and the beer thrower!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's a legal matter at present because you can be prosecuted and receive a criminal record if convicted.

We don't know yet if 'most people are against it'. We do know we - as a football crowd and as a society - have changed in the 36 years since the law was brought in. Enough to not criminalise people who drink a glass of wine while being able to see a football pitch on matchday? Well, that's what the survey is for.

It's part of a wholesale look at legislation on football. It may well be that the majority of football fans are against decriminalisation, in which case, she won't take it any further. This is being done in partnership with the FA, the PL, the FL, the FSA and many other bodies.

Thanks I think this has been useful.

I am in favour in principle of changing the law, why is this a legal matter?
In favour of maintaining the status quo in stadia, with some small relaxations but bars closed during the match, as articulated by many on here.
Not in favour of making this a part of a broader political football campaign. The attempted Euro break away and ownership issues at all levels, tells you exactly where football reform needs to focus its attention.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think it is fair to say that is pretty finely balanced...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-06-21 at 09.10 AM.JPG
    Screen Shot 10-06-21 at 09.10 AM.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 100

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Fine as it is. Bad enough getting up for people 10mins before and after half time. Does though amuse me the couple of times I have been in 1901 how they pull the blinds down

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Isn't everyone looking at it from their own point of view? That is a) I want to drink whenever and wherever I like and b) I don't want some pratt throwing their beer over me.

I struggle to believe that those voting for a rule change are doing so for the benefit of the club finances in Leagues One and Two!

You're correct, that's why I'm saying that people should think about the benefits of changing the law rather than just focus on whether they want it to happen at the Amex.

As per my first post on this thread: I don't think it should be a legal matter and clubs should be allowed to choose. I wouldn't be in favour of this being implemented at Brighton, but I can see there might be benefits that don't affect me.

It might benefit corporate sales if the prawn sandwich brigade in the 1901 or the boxes could drink a prosecco while entertaining a client for instance.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Who are these 76 people that DON'T like celebratory flying beer?

Why do you bother going to football you absolute whoppers

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I went to watch one of the Hundred games at Lord's and it was an utterly depressing experience. Some of the highest quality domestic cricket I've seen for a long time but next to no one in the crowd was watching the game. Up and down constantly, 18 year olds nearly paralytic, beer being chucked at others and a pretty aggressive experience around all of that.

What's wrong with having a couple of pints before the game in anticipation of the match, and having a couple after? Why turn football into a drinking contest?

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I went to watch one of the Hundred games at Lords and it was an utterly depressing experience. Some of the highest quality domestic cricket I've seen for a long time but next to no one in the crowd was watching the game. Up and down constantly, 18 year olds nearly paralytic, beer being chucked at others and a pretty aggressive experience around all of that.

What's wrong with having a couple of pints before the game in anticipation of the match, and having a couple after? Why turn football into a drinking contest?

And one of the main points of the Hundred was that there would be less alcohol and drinking

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
And one of the main points of the Hundred was that there would be less alcohol and drinking

Yes, that game was after Lord's brought in lots of rules to try and stop it becoming a binge as well.

The reality is we have proven over and over again that it would be an unwelcoming nightmare.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Mixed feelings, heart says yea but head says no; I can’t be bothered with getting up and down every five minutes because someone wants yet another pint or a piss, having beer spilt on me as people struggle through the seats holding 3 pints, having beer puddles around me from knocked over pints and being covered in it when we score as pints are luzzed in the air.

Things are okay as they are.

Rugby seems to manage just fine.

The "draconian measures" mentioned by the OP came about primarily through the Taylor Report. Let's not forget that for years, the police attributed the Hillsborough disaster to "drunken fans". As we now all know, it was police incompetence that led to the tragedy.

Any and all measures that were imposed as a result of police corruption in lying to Taylor and to other inquests and enquiries should be immediately repealed.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Who are these 76 people that DON'T like celebratory flying beer?

Why do you bother going to football you absolute whoppers

Odd. There isn’t any celebratory flying beer at football. It’s banned. Therefore nobody goes to football for celebratory flying beer. So maybe the 76 are the only people in the poll who actually go to football ? (And me, I didn’t vote).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Leave as it is - don't get the need to have a drink during the game. Is going 45 minutes without a beer really that much of a big deal?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Voted yes but close the bars.

The current law promotes binge drinking with people getting as tanked as possible in pubs before getting to the ground. Imagine instead you can go to the ground, buy a pint and take it to your seat and chat with your mates watching the players warm up. You could buy another 15 minutes before kick off and not have to worry about drinking that too fast.

It'd be great at the Amex at half time because even if it does take you 15 minutes to queue for a pint, you wouldn't then have a choice of downing it or missing 10 minutes of the second half.

I hear and agree with views that people don't want beer chucked all over them and don't want people squeezing past constantly to go to the toilet/bar - but there can and should be a relaxation of the rules that wouldn't have those consequences.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Rugby seems to manage just fine.

Completely different dynamic in rugby and rugby crowds and the crowd culture of the sport. Plus the scoring of points is far, far less pivotal moment in a rugby match, compared to the scoring of a goal in football. The two sports cannot be reasonably compared when trying to understand the likely impact of allowing drinking in the stands.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Leave as it is - don't get the need to have a drink during the game. Is going 45 minutes without a beer really that much of a big deal?
This. Modern football is already diminished enough as an expensive day out for people who aren't really into the club they are meant to be supporting...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here